Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

8 out of 8 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Zasquatch's proTUNING Freaks Experience / Review

Well this review is LONG overdue lol.... Sorry @Jake@PTF and @dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge

It all started back when I got my first tune after getting my 335... At the time I was a newbie so ate all the hype on e90post about the procede. I enjoyed the rock solid boost curve and "autotuning", but as I learned more about the platform, and tuning in general for that matter, I wanted something better. I also had numerous issues that Shiv shrugged off, but lets not go down that dark road to nowhere...

This is actually around the time I met (virtually) Jake. I bought a set of preowned cp-e catless downpipes followed by a cp-e FMIC from him. Even then, being a fellow enthusiast selling parts, he was INCREDIBLY helpful. Even long after the sale, I would run things by him or ask for advice and he was always prompt, extremely knowledgable, and never condescending.

Enter Cobb.

I sold the procede and picked up an AP as soon as they were released. As Cobb slowly released their maps, I followed along and loaded them up stage by stage. I enjoyed the power, but somewhere along the line strange things started happening... At Stage 2+ I was a lucky member of the Boost Fluctuation Group or whatever you'd like to call it. It made the car completely disgusting at WOT and took the better part of 6-9 months for Rob@cobb to iron things out. Not that I really want a pat on the back, but I sent him several dozen logs and tested out numerous maps trying to get to the bottom of the issue. You are all welcome Click here to enlarge. Rob went silent and a few months later the current 4.02 maps were released and have since been the baseline maps for all stages. Awesome!

Not for me.

While my WGDC was more under control, I still had fluctuations, inconsistent power delivery, and a generally not pleasant car to drive... it was fast but NOT smooth.

Talking with Jake, he mentioned he was starting the PTF venture. I of course jumped on board and got one of the first e-tunes. After discussing my goals and how I'd like the car to behave and throttle to feel, we worked through 5 iterations and got the car much more stable. Winter came and I took a break, with the intent of starting back up in the spring.

This summer, I got in touch with Jake and we continued. Over the past few weeks he has been fiddling and tweaking with tables deeper than most venture in ATR - And the results are astounding. I loaded the most recent iteration today (#11 maybe? I've lost track lol) and it is so near perfect I can almost taste it. The feeling in the driver's seat is one that I have been missing, and I'm sure many of you have been enjoying all the while. The car runs super smooth, has very little to no lag, throw-you-into-your-seat power, no 1st gear, and gets above the "speed limit" in a blink. We still have an iteration or two to smooth out the datalogs, but from the driverís seat we are finally there. Most importantly, there is not a single hit of fluctuation!

I imagine this is the point most people get to after going through the proTUNING Freaks e-tune process: Complete satisfaction in the end result. Jake really cares about what he does and has a passion for it Ė and it shows in his work. He was able to figure out my carís quirks from thousands of miles away, and to me that is extremely impressive. He pulled out all the stops and tried some tricks only a seasoned professional would know to do, and continues to go out of his way to make sure I am happy.... by the end of it we would have gone through 12+ iterations. How's that for dedication (or determination?). Jake is also very responsive and replies to emails quickly. I have even gotten updated maps within an hour on occasion! If it weren't for PTF, I most certainly would have been forced to either piggyback a JB4, or move away from Cobb completely Click here to enlarge .

Long story short, @Jake@PTF and ProTUNING Freaks are running a hell of a business and they have the knowledge and wisdom to tune even the quirkiest of cars to their utmost potential. I cannot recommend them enough, you will be most definately be amazed at how your car is transformed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the great review - I'm thinking of going down this road too (e-tuning via proTuning Freaks) and your review certainly helps make that decision. I have some of the same issues with fluctuations with Cobb. But I'll probably wait for my VTT St2 Turbos and maybe a new clutch and probably a LSD so it may be awhile. Though I do wish things were smoother now...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lucad Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the great review - I'm thinking of going down this road too (e-tuning via proTuning Freaks) and your review certainly helps make that decision. I have some of the same issues with fluctuations with Cobb. But I'll probably wait for my VTT St2 Turbos and maybe a new clutch and probably a LSD so it may be awhile. Though I do wish things were smoother now...
    My E-tune experience was great. Also, they will tune you for a year. So you can buy it now and as you add mods get new maps made. Not a bad deal. You do have to repay if you change fuels. For what it is worth I noticed a big difference pro tune vs. the OTS maps even when 100% stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can't say enough good things about PTF. Great guys all around!
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good post, thats why I entrusted by baby to PTF. They are well experienced on the N54, and they know the strengths of weakness of other tunes

Sad to say I have read other people taking their cars to other ProTuners and the results were just shameful and a disgrace.

e-Tuning is simple, just by mere logs PTF can make your car do wonders. I asked them for a MAP to beat a stack tune setup and they gave me this :

Click here to enlarge

"e-Tuning, PTF, & DIY" post coming soon Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Jake@PTF FTW.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    String of good reviews so far... excellent.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thanks @Zasquatch, appreciate it, and thank you for the datalog grapher that's helped us and many others out there many a time
    Click here to enlarge