Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Exclamation Codes thrown after maintenance and dp fix install/removal

My car just hit the 50K mark and I had some maintenance done: intake valve cleaning, oil/filter fluid change, tranny fluid/pan/sleeve change, brake fluid change, and diff fluid change. I also installed the BMS dp fix and new BMW DCI filters. (I'm not sure if any of that is relative)

After picking it up, I noticed it threw some codes. Since I know the dp fix can trigger it, I decided to remove the dp fix and reset the ECU. After also uninstalling the Cobb AP, I drove around for a few drive cycles and the codes came back along with the SES light.

The car seems to run fine, and I haven't been put in limp mode. The only thing I notice is an RPM surge at cold start up.

Is this just a matter of changing my O2 sensors? The codes are below.

P0041 - O2 sensors signals swapped bank 1 sensor 2 / bank 2 sensor 2
    P2E9F - Oil condition sensor
    P2C7C - Lambda probe after catalytic converter 2, Signal
    P2C7E - Lambda probe after catalytic converter, trim control
    P2C27 - Lambda probe before catalyst system check
    P2C28 - Lambda probe before catalyst 2, System check
    P2C6A - Lambda probe after catalytic reversed,

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

P0041 indicates the post catalyst O2 sensors are swapped. Are you sure you put the two yellow wires back in the correct spots when you uninstalled the DP Fix?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

swapped o2 sensors
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    P0041 indicates the post catalyst O2 sensors are swapped. Are you sure you put the two yellow wires back in the correct spots when you uninstalled the DP Fix?
    I think it's correct? Yellow wire with text on insulation in 19, other yellow wire to 20, and the red/black wire in 23, right?

(I'd post a picture but I don't have 5 reps.)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Just try switching them. The car is reporting P0041, which could definitely be caused by swapping those two wires, and since you have only installed and removed the DP Fix, that is the only thing that has changed. Logically it makes sense the problem must be with the two yellow wires. Unless you changed something else...

It's possible the instructions with the DP Fix are not correct for all cars with respect to the text on the wires.

The DCI filters are inconsequential here.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'm horrible. In trying to switch the wires, one of the yellow wires dislodged from the pin and the metal connector is stuck in it.

Am I OK with turning the car on and taking it to a shop? (RRT Racing, a reputable shop, is about 10 minutes away)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I was able to extract the metal pin from the connector, and I called a BMW dealership and they have the metal pin for .70 cents. The rest should just be splicing the wire, put on the metal pin, and slide it back into the connector. Hopefully this is just a case of needing to swap the yellow wires.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

same codes when my yellow wires were swapped - mine are actually opposite of the dpfix instructions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Just try switching them. The car is reporting P0041, which could definitely be caused by swapping those two wires, and since you have only installed and removed the DP Fix, that is the only thing that has changed. Logically it makes sense the problem must be with the two yellow wires. Unless you changed something else...

It's possible the instructions with the DP Fix are not correct for all cars with respect to the text on the wires.

The DCI filters are inconsequential here.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dfv2 Click here to enlarge
    same codes when my yellow wires were swapped - mine are actually opposite of the dpfix instructions.
    I did as advised and swapped them, and that's what seemed to be the issue. My wires are also the opposite of the dp fix instructions, with the yellow wire with the number on the insulation in 20 instead of 19.

I completed two drive cycles and the only code that appears is P2E9F (Oil condition sensor). There's no SES light, and I think I know how to resolve that issue. I'll drive it for a few more drive cycles just to be positive there's no other codes that reappear.

I appreciate the help!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine yellow wires are also in the opposite spots from the instructions for DPFix, 2008 built 11/2007, I was thinking maybe I accidentally swapped them long ago when running my first Proceed then JB3 and when I put all the wires back I maybe accidentally switched them, but it seems like a lot of others have them swapped also.

Have the others that have the wires opposite of the instructions every mucked with the wiring before - I can't imagine that the BMW harness change only for those 2 wires and that I mixed them up at some point, but it would be nice to know if some cars are different or if we should all be fixing our wires back to the way the instructions indicate.

Rob
    2008 E93 Giac Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
    2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

My yellow wires are different from the DP Fix instructions as well. 10/06 build. @Terry@BMS maybe you can revise the instructions?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roadkillrob Click here to enlarge
    Mine yellow wires are also in the opposite spots from the instructions for DPFix, 2008 built 11/2007, I was thinking maybe I accidentally swapped them long ago when running my first Proceed then JB3 and when I put all the wires back I maybe accidentally switched them, but it seems like a lot of others have them swapped also.

Have the others that have the wires opposite of the instructions every mucked with the wiring before - I can't imagine that the BMW harness change only for those 2 wires and that I mixed them up at some point, but it would be nice to know if some cars are different or if we should all be fixing our wires back to the way the instructions indicate.

Rob
    I think the cars are just different? Some people have text on the insulation of the wire that goes into 19, some have it on the wire that goes into 20, some don't have any text on the insulation of any of the wires at all. Obviously this is just a guess, but I think there's a higher success rate with people the people that mimic the setup in the instructions than ones who have it opposite.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

My yellow wires are different from the DP Fix instructions as well. 10/06 build. @Terry@BMS maybe you can revise the instructions?
    I'm not sure it matters, but I have a 04/09 build.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Just as an updated, I put my wires back after the DPFix to what the document from Burger said (as mine were opposite and thought I may have switched them at some point over the years, although never had any issues). I had noticed the car running a bit rough since then at startup, nothing major, just a bit less stable at idle, but never really thought it was the O2 wires, thought maybe it was time for plugs etc, but was thinking about it the other day and decided to put the O2 wiring back to how it was before the DPFix and it seems to have smoothed out the idle again.

So pretty sure my wires were correct and they are definitely opposite of the DPFix documentation, so the takeaway is to just document your specific wiring before you wire in the DPFix and put back how it was as it may not be what the document says.
    2008 E93 Giac Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
    2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1