Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 (10/98 Build) 540i M62 Build + Water/Methanol + Nitrous

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

E39 (10/98 Build) 540i M62 Build + Water/Methanol + Nitrous

Click here to enlargeThought I would start a build thread to show progress on a few mods I am starting to a 1999 BMW 540i 4.4l V8... has 112,000 miles.... very lightly driven between NY and the Hamptons and with respect to revving (usually cruises at around 2000 rpm).....

I have only just started to thrash it to see what times etc I can get.... and to see how the engine handles revving up into red line using the "manual auto shift" in 2nd gear etc

Gas = Octane 93 (Shell)

0-60 mph fully loaded with gas etc = 6.5-6.7s, 1/4 mile = 14.6s
    0-60 mph (BEST) Unloaded = 6.2 secs, 1/4 mile = 14.3s

Gas = 93 octane (other) with octane booster (NX, NOS, Turbo 108, or Lucas boost)

0-60 mph fully loaded with gas etc = 6.3-6.5s, 1/4 mile = 14.4s
    0-60 mph (BEST) Unloaded = 6 secs, 1/4 mile = 14.3s

I will no longer use any booster as it looks like most are just Tolulene additives which are not good for the old engine.... Plan is to use the Water/methanol and some 101 octane VP race gas (MS109) as an octane booster for the Nitrous

AIM - Build the engine up such that a 282 crank hp car can take a 2 stage progressive (time and rpm) shot up to 200 hp, starting at 50 hp.

Thanks to JimLev and BigM62 for their advice before I start this and everyone on the Bimmerboost.com threads... I have read everything I could find over the last month or so and am looking forward to seeing how far we can push this before she dies.....

BigM62 has advised on some upgraded engine mods I can do as well as the usual 2 stage colder Iridium plugs, HPFP, exhaust etc
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 750 bhp
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 350 bhp
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Products = Nitrous Express

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/20816-...lb-bottle.html

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/15027-...ontrolled.html

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/15957-...ontroller.html

I also bought the bottle heater, remote bottle opener etc

Total outlay = $2700

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Pics above show the mess in my garage and the Hurricane Sandy love tap from a tree which crushed the car behind mine in NY city whilst only marginally dinging my tail...... lots of love taps from asshats in the city who just ram your car when they park... all to be fixed after the mods are done

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

In this previous THREAD the OP discussed the quality of service from NX

It is clear that since the thread in my link was written that NX have grown a LOT... their packaging and support is not up to the perfection the OP described above.... however it is still pretty good

My main complaint is probably more due to my ignorance when I STARTED the ordering process... and the project becomes a nickle and dime event where you need more and more $100+ items to do this safely.

The NX heater was not packaged well and other things I bought were thrown willy nilly in loose boxes with packing wrap... but overall so far I would give Nitrous Expres an 85/100 for overall competency... myself a 35/100.

If you contact them on their website or via phone or their customer blog they respond right away.....

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I did not want to install this myself and probably still do not want to but finding anyone in NY who is prepared to say they will do it, can do it and will follow through has been a challenge.

I asked EVERY NX dealer in NY... even though most are tuners/installers etc none of them provide any after sales installation or support apart from TRYING TO SELL YOU something.

I sent out the following email to 27 different performance shops in NY and NJ.. so far only 5 responded and I have 2 who may do my project after the fall (late October etc).....

I just spoke to you on the phone. I got your details from BMW performance blogs in NY.

I have an E39 BMW 540i (auto) 1999 (build date is 10/98) that I want to add water/methanol and a 2 stage progressive 50-200 hp nitrous shot. The car has 111k miles but has been very gently driven rarely getting over 4000 rpm.I already bought some stuff via Nitrous Express and dealers in NY who now say they do not do installs. This is an interest project I want to do while I look around for an M3 to mod. I bought all of the necessary kits to do the progressive water/methanol (using that as the race fuel with 93 gas and cooling for the N20) and progressive nitrous.

I have done a lot of research on this but as an amateur do not want to install myself. I want to see how far we can push an M62 engine on forced Nitro with water/meth before it dies.... One guy has a supercharged (VF) system putting out 400 whp and 420 lbs/ft which I would like to challenge or better with the nitrous etc.

Is this a project you would be interested in doing for me ?

Details below
    Shugie
    631 903 2039 Cell

Here are some details on what I am looking at doing as a project for the 540i and some data and some install guides, videos, parts etc..... I was looking at doing this after the summer season as everyone seems to have more time then.

Several guys are running up to a 175/200 shot on progressive systems on the 1999 BMW 540i (auto+6sp) E39 model....... some are running 150 shot on stock parts except for "colder" spark plugs and hp fp.

I would probably have you do this in stages and test/dyno:

1. Install: Water/methanol kit, NGK iridium spark plugs 1-2 steps colder (7 or 8 rating).

Test on car for a few days driving then tune.

1a. ECU tune - only remove rev limiter and speed limiter, retard timing 2 degrees say or leave timing stock as the water/meth supposedly will protect against detonation.... plus the 540i has electronic ignition protection apparently for situations where detonation may occur. Some say no tuning is required as off the shelf tunes usually up timing !

2. Install NX nitrous and NX maximizer 4 progressive controller, bottle heater, bottle opener etc

3. Install new exhaust - if required as per your advice

4. Install high pressure water pump for "shooting above" 100 hp or separate inline hp fuel pump outside tank

5. Fix dent in left hand rear after new exhaust on

Nitrous Express website http://www.nitrousexpress.com/

I purchased the following on recommendation from NX themselves for my (10/98 build date) E39 BMW 540i (A)

Item
    Subtotal
    Click here to enlarge MAXIMIZER 4 PROGRESSIVE CONTROLLER
    Part #: 15957
    Qty: 1
    Item
    Subtotal
    Click here to enlarge Water Methanol, Gas EFI Stage 3, Digital Progressive Controlled, MPG Max
    Part #: 15028
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge NITROUS PURGE SYSTEM FOR LIGHTNING/ICEMAN SOLENOIDS
    Part #: 15603
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge 10-15LB HEAVY DUTY FULLY AUTOMATIC BOTTLE HEATER (D-4) W/ GAUGE 14AMPS
    Part #: 15939
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge BMW EFI ALL (50-300HP) DUAL NOZZLE WITH 10LB BOTTLE
    Part #: 20816-10

Item
    Subtotal
    Click here to enlarge AUTOMATIC REMOTE BOTTLE OPENER
    Part #: 11107

This will allow a relatively safe progressive system spraying 50hp up to 200 hp (after ramping post tuning) in a controlled progressive manner............ you may have ideas on what other mods are required.

The water/methanol injection will be used to lower chances of detonation and allow us not to need "retard" timing as much. There is great work being done using both kits together.........

I will probably also require a larger exhaust system..... but I want this to be a "street legal" situation..... some use the Borla exhaust, some Eisenmann and some have Magnaflow, but numbers I have seen with water/meth and NOS seem to say that stock BMW exhaust is good up to 100hp shot... we will test and see... I think the Magnaflow would be what I would go with
    http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...FQyk4AodLhUAww

The car will also require Iridium spark plugs at heat rating of 7 or 8 (normal is 6), so colder by 1-2 steps such as
    these NGK 7's http://store.bimmerworld.com/ngk-iri...ugs-p1267.aspx

It may also require a higher pressure fuel pump or stand alone inline FP for the Nitrous system once we go to and above 100 hp... the hp in tank fuel pump that fits is actually a Walbro GM pump http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-f20000169 and this requires a universal fuel pickup and 8" supply hose.

I have also looked at ESS and AA tuning etc for the transmission and ECU to allow an expansion of the rpm limits or maybe you provide that service as well. The auto trans can be a bit annoying as it kicks from 2nd to 3rd and 3-4 early so an expansion of those shifts and removal of rev limiter etc would be better.

A guy did a thread on the HPFP here = http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...irst-time.html

Air intake - I am not sure whether an AFE cold intake will be required or other intercooler
    http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...4L&&brandID=52

Installation Guides

This guy did his own DIY Nitrous Express Install on BMW (N54 turbo) - detailed instructions in this thread

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...hlight=nitrous

Further, there are videos on youtube like this that detail the install processes

(Preview) Full Kit install of NX NOS system with heater, remote bottle opener etc

Bottle set up

Maximizer 4 software progressive controller

(Preview) NX remote bottle opener

NX bottle heater

Fuel rail adaptor install

(Preview) Full kit with basic explanation

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Today, I am going to do a test of the car using 5 gallons of VP Race Fuel MS 109 (101 octane) mixed with the remaining fuel in my tank around 2.5 gallons

0 - 60 mph
    1/4 mile
    1 mile

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

If you haven't yet found a shop to do the install, I highly recommend force fed performance in deer park/Babylon area for nitrous install. They did my friends nx kit and even fabbed up some beautiful intake pipes when his plastic ones wouldn't suffice. He had a g35 but they specialize in vw stuff, and have done many insane high Hp vw cars. I live pretty close to you and have dealt with a lot of places on the island. Its a bit of a weird place cause it seems like they are always eating lunch when I have been there no matter what the time and they aren't the fastest getting the job done but were at least close to quoted time

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I wouldn't run anything over a 50 shot on ms109. It's more specified for naturally aspirated engines. However, spraying a 50 on there should be fine, but I would suggest mrx02 I think it is.
    Honda CBR 1000RR, Superbike Supply, Arrow, HRC, BMC, Lee's Cycle, Galfer, EBC, Revzilla, AXO, Dainese, Scorpion Helmets

Honda Grom, most fun you'll ever have on 2 wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by manbeer Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you haven't yet found a shop to do the install, I highly recommend force fed performance in deer park/Babylon area for nitrous install. They did my friends nx kit and even fabbed up some beautiful intake pipes when his plastic ones wouldn't suffice. He had a g35 but they specialize in vw stuff, and have done many insane high Hp vw cars. I live pretty close to you and have dealt with a lot of places on the island. Its a bit of a weird place cause it seems like they are always eating lunch when I have been there no matter what the time and they aren't the fastest getting the job done but were at least close to quoted time
    Thanks

Force Fed are one of the main possibilities..... a few people recommended them and they gave me the best vibe but they always seem to be busy and they said to try again after Oct if I haven't done install myself.....

Overall, have been very unimpressed with quality of work in NY in general.... building, plumbing, gardening, car repair..... I even pay a cleaner who doesn't seem to know what dust is

From the people I have approached the only ones I would give a major build out to is Maximum PSI or Force Fed

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by StinkyM Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't run anything over a 50 shot on ms109. It's more specified for naturally aspirated engines. However, spraying a 50 on there should be fine, but I would suggest mrx02 I think it is.
    Yes mate, I am just trying the high octane stuff now on the stock engine to see how it goes au natural on higher power stuff !

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Tested controllers for Maximizer 4 2 Stage Nitrous and Water/Meth progressive controller using 9V dc battery and units..

programmed Maximizer 4 test... very easy to use

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Tried out 5 gallons of the MS 109 race fuel by VP Racing.... wow... unbelievable difference.... have a few queries because it seemed even the auto transmission ECU tweaked itself to change at higher rpms in lower gears but the difference between this R+M = 105 and the 93 octane pump gas with octane boosters in incredible..... My car felt a good 5-10% more powerful and pulled better than it ever has ............

Was doing 6.5 sec or so 0-60mph using 93 oct + booster and the engine felt quite dead below 20 mph, now with the MS 109 when I floor it to WOT it charges like a beast... this stuff could be expensively addictive (at $90 tax inc for 5 gallons from SK Speed)

0 - 60 mph was consistently doing 6 - 6.1 s versus 6.5 before

Also on cruising was getting above 29 mpg highway versus 26.7 before average on 60 mile test

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Hit a humongous Deer today on the private land race track... luckily only doing 35 mph... my car has the right front fender binged up..... the bloody Deer just walked away... couldn't believe it... tougher than a big Kangaroo !!!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Saddened by your loss! Hope it is an easy fix!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Amazing what damage the little blighter did even though it looked like just a popped bumper.... got a ridiculous quote from some thieves in Riverhead NY... will review this week and see if I can fix myself

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Put front end back in after the Deer mishap.... lost several 8mm and 10mm bolts..

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Installing AFE CAI today

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Group.america; 09-17-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: remove chook picture, wtf ???

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Put in 5 gallons of 100 octane at the pump and 5 gallons of the MS109 VP Race fuel.... FXXK me what a difference with the CAI and race fuel even on a 15 year old stock 540i... was doing 0 to 60 mph 5.7s best to 6.0 sec all day....... best run was when tank was near empty and the dog was on the sidelines... felt like I had 40 more horses at the wheel and the DME seemed to adjust for the more aggressive fuel....sweet stuff, expensive and now I am addicted

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

awesome good job on the fix and making the car faster!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Race fuel is awesome. I will be adding that to my tune next week with my Miller War Chip ( holds 4 tunes). Glad you are happy! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    These attachments are not showing.

Regardless, well detailed thread and repped.
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    Put in 5 gallons of 100 octane at the pump and 5 gallons of the MS109 VP Race fuel.... FXXK me what a difference with the CAI and race fuel even on a 15 year old stock 540i... was doing 0 to 60 mph 5.7s best to 6.0 sec all day....... best run was when tank was near empty and the dog was on the sidelines... felt like I had 40 more horses at the wheel and the DME seemed to adjust for the more aggressive fuel....sweet stuff, expensive and now I am addicted
    Imagine with a specific race fuel tune... Click here to enlarge
    Like BoostAddict on FaceBook, get +20 rep and tacos*: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...-FaceBook-page

* Tacos sold separately

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast