Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Roll bar/roll cage for 335i

Hey guys,

Not just per track rules, but literally thinking for my own safety, was thinking about a roll cage or roll bar. Is there any option out there for the 335 that I could install and retain stock seats, or at least be able to return to stock fairly easily and not be cutting up dash, carpets, etc. Would be ok with something that only required racing seats.

Ideally speaking, my idea would be to have roll cage installed, then have ability to change out OEM seats for racing seat on a track day or drag stip outting, and down the road if/when I sell the car be able to somewhat easily remove and not have to deal with replacing carpets, dash, etc.

Thanks in advance. Also open to hear anyone that has had a custom cage done and willing to share costs.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm sure the B pillars provide enough rollover protection. From my experience there is no way to mount a cage without cutting the carpet. Unless your track kicked you out a few times because you don't have a cage and you can't go to another one, I would stay away from mounting a cage. The cage will provide more hard surfaces to hit your head on in case of an accident. My last cage in my cobra was a 6 point and it was over 2K to have it custom made.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea, more bother than anything. The E9X chassis is pretty safe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Driving around with a roll bar or roll cage in a street car without a helmet is dangerous.

Leave cages for dedicated track cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    Driving around with a roll bar or roll cage in a street car without a helmet is dangerous.

+1
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Good point but in my case it's not a daily driver, most of the driving is to and from and on the track. I maybe put 400 miles a month on the car.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Moved to 3-Series E9X.

Mine has a cage and you don't need a helmet. You only would if you sat in back but I wouldn't have anyone back there.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

That's why I always wear my bicycle helmet in the car. Even without a roll cage, you can never be too careful.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Moved to 3-Series E9X.

Mine has a cage and you don't need a helmet. You only would if you sat in back but I wouldn't have anyone back there.
    You should get some fixed backed seats.

I still wouldn't want any exposed steel in my cabin, you would be surprised how much you can move around in a serious accident.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1900?!?!? for that roll bar... why so much? isnt autopowers around 500
    m3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inter1032 Click here to enlarge
    1900?!?!? for that roll bar... why so much? isnt autopowers around 500
    Have a look at how effective this Autopower roll bar was
    http://jalopnik.com/5390929/mustang-crash-gallery/

I've been looking into this a fair bit lately. The conclusion I've come to is it's not a good idea in a street car. In a modern BMW you are probably safest with no cage using the stock seat, 3 point belt and all the airbags.
    My plan is to get a track car and do it properly, cage, fixed back seats, 5/6 point harnesses, HANS.
    All other compromises (eg harness bar and harnesses on stock seats) are potentially more dangerous.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    Have a look at how effective this Autopower roll bar was
    http://jalopnik.com/5390929/mustang-crash-gallery/

I've been looking into this a fair bit lately. The conclusion I've come to is it's not a good idea in a street car. In a modern BMW you are probably safest with no cage using the stock seat, 3 point belt and all the airbags.
    My plan is to get a track car and do it properly, cage, fixed back seats, 5/6 point harnesses, HANS.
    All other compromises (eg harness bar and harnesses on stock seats) are potentially more dangerous.
    That car actually had a roll bar? Jesus...I can't imagine the driver walked away....I hate seeing that $#@! happen...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    That car actually had a roll bar? Jesus...I can't imagine the driver walked away....I hate seeing that $#@! happen...
    You can see the feet of it poking through the floor of the car, I heard that they were ok because the seat mount failed as well allowing them to recline and not get crushed. A badly designed or poorly installed roll bar is usually more dangerous than not having one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That mustang crash doesn't seem to be a rollover, but more of a flip. With that amount of force involved with a front flip like that I'm not sure any safety system would have held IMHO. I see traffic collisions all the time and most people are uninjured (modern space frame technology vechicles) in traffic collision roll overs (side rolls) when properly seat belted. Most flips like that mustang seem to be fatal due to spinal compression injuries. When I track, my main concern is getting center punched in my door by a another vehicle, which is your typical intersection traffic collision by your drunk who runs the red. Sticky is 100% correct, I'd go full cage if racing for most amount of safety.
    Last edited by sranch335i; 10-02-2013 at 01:05 AM.