Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UUC EVO3 SSK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    It wasn't too hard in my opinion. Jack the car up and bend the metal heat shield out of the way so you can get to the bottom of the shifter, pull the clips and pins off both ends and reinstall. I didn't need to drop the rear transmission mount as the instructions said, i just reached up and over the transmission to get the clip for the gear selector rod going into the transmission.
    Nice!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

how does this kit compare to other short throw shift kits? I wouldn't mind a shorter throw...
    E92 Bren Tune
    E91 Stock
    E90 PTF Tune

Mod lists are for the weak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    how does this kit compare to other short throw shift kits? I wouldn't mind a shorter throw...
    IMHO, you have to move the fulcrum/pivot point up as UUC has done, otherwise you're going to get an increase in shift effort as the throw decreases. UUC calls their new adjustable cup the "Efffort reduction kit" for this reason.

I could be wrong, but I believe UUC are either the only one that does this or one of perhaps two. The rest of the SSKs are just shifter poles with different lengths above/below the stock pivot.

It's not a cheap shifter and the ERK makes it harder to install (their instructions say to lower rear of trans and uncouple exhaust) but it's worth it IMO. It's built like a tank and really does reduce the throw about 33% and retain roughly stock shift effort which is great. I tried a shorter pole from another BMW model before the UUC and while it did shorten the throw, it was canted slightly off-center and the shift effort was noticeably higher. Not horrible but enough that I bought the UUC and feel it was worth the $ and effort to switch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BavarianBullet Click here to enlarge
    IMHO, you have to move the fulcrum/pivot point up as UUC has done, otherwise you're going to get an increase in shift effort as the throw decreases. UUC calls their new adjustable cup the "Efffort reduction kit" for this reason.

I could be wrong, but I believe UUC are either the only one that does this or one of perhaps two. The rest of the SSKs are just shifter poles with different lengths above/below the stock pivot.

It's not a cheap shifter and the ERK makes it harder to install (their instructions say to lower rear of trans and uncouple exhaust) but it's worth it IMO. It's built like a tank and really does reduce the throw about 33% and retain roughly stock shift effort which is great. I tried a shorter pole from another BMW model before the UUC and while it did shorten the throw, it was canted slightly off-center and the shift effort was noticeably higher. Not horrible but enough that I bought the UUC and feel it was worth the $ and effort to switch.
    ERK?

Thanks man that answered all of my questions. I'm going to research a bit more on the install. I am sure I can do it myself but if there is any way I don't have to mess with the exhaust and or lower the tranny that would be a big plus.
    E92 Bren Tune
    E91 Stock
    E90 PTF Tune

Mod lists are for the weak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    ERK?

Thanks man that answered all of my questions. I'm going to research a bit more on the install. I am sure I can do it myself but if there is any way I don't have to mess with the exhaust and or lower the tranny that would be a big plus.
    Effort reduction kit. It's a little cup that sits inside BMW shifter carrier. It raises the pivot point/fulcrum of the shifter say 3/4" to correct the geometry of UUC pole. This is necessary because the part of the UUC shifter pole below the pivot gets longer, meaning the part the selector rod clips into is lower than before, making you push/pull the selector rod at an angle now, increasing effort. Raising the whole pole up levels it out again, reducing the effort, thus ERK name.

check here, towards the bottom: http://www.nexternal.com/uuc/article...Difference.htm

The cup is the large picture below in this post where the hand is adding loctite to the threaded hole. It has 3 holes on each side that get three allen head cap screws which keep it from pulling up once in the OEM carrier. The OEM shifter carrier has one slot on each side the are used by the OEM plastic clamshell bushing the holds the stock shifter in place. The OEM bushing drops in and twists CW to lock into these slots with its little tabs.

OEM shifter is easy to remove if you just want to eyeball it. Just pull up on the shifter knob to remove, pull up carefully on the shifter boot plate to remove and the rest is obvious till you reach the shifter. Then you just need a screwdriver to rotate the white plastic clamshell bushing CCW (I think) to free it, then pull up on the shifter and both pop out. Then just knock off the retaining clip for the selector rod on the bottom of the pole and it's free to remove the shifter pole + bushing.

Installing the UUC is where it gets more interesting and I like @lulz_m3 's method if it works and you don't mind getting under the car. I didn't feel like rolling around on my cold garage floor when I did mine in 08 so I got creative with a grinder and installed from the interior which was nice.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12