Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UUC EVO3 SSK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

UUC EVO3 SSK

I have purchased the Evo 3 SSK (impulse buy), as I really miss the nice tight short shift feel I had in my RX7. The problem with impulse buying is the lack of research that goes into it first. I notice that the one I bought doesn't have any plastic parts, and just wanted to check with anyone who had been using it, to see if that has caused wear on any of the other internal parts of the shifter. In other words, did BMW use plastic because they are cheap bastards, or because they wanted it to be the weak spot as that was the easiest part to replace.

Thanks
    David

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've put the UUC SSK in both of my e90s and love them. When you see and feel the kit you will know that you have purchaced a quality part. Don't worry and enjoy it. Did you get the DSSR? I've run my 335 with and without it and I can tell you that it does make a difference....mmm think I want to go for a drive now.

~Nate

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What kind of difference does this DSSR part makes? I'm now looking into buying a SSK but not sure which, there are many out there. I just want the smoothest, shortest and most direct feeling. So sick of the rubberish stock shifter without much feeling, it make shifting kinda boring - thats how weak it feels!!!
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dblrguy Click here to enlarge
    I've put the UUC SSK in both of my e90s and love them. When you see and feel the kit you will know that you have purchaced a quality part. Don't worry and enjoy it. Did you get the DSSR? I've run my 335 with and without it and I can tell you that it does make a difference....mmm think I want to go for a drive now.

~Nate
    Yeh, I got the DSSR. Since I am in Australia its easier to just order and get freighted the whole thing at once rather than trying it without, and then decided to buy it later.

The stock shifter feels like I am rowing a boat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have UUC EVO 3 SSK and the DSSR. The difference is night and day. I really didn't like how the stock shifter felt and I upgraded immediately. However, in my humble opinion the shift feel is still not as good as what I had in my S2000 or Acura TL.
    Spec2+ Clutch, SS SMFW, BMS backend flash, VRSF DPs, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP - Tial BOV, N20 3.5 Bar map sensor, BMS OCC, Walbro 255, Wavetrac LSD, Defiv Diff. lockdown kit, UUC EVO3 and DSSR, AFE DCI, H&R Coilovers, M3 Front control arms, rear arms, rear subframe bushings, Rogue Engineering transmission mounts, Michelin PSS 265/35/18 - 235/40/18, Apex ARC-8.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gogunbaba Click here to enlarge
    I have UUC EVO 3 SSK and the DSSR. The difference is night and day. I really didn't like how the stock shifter felt and I upgraded immediately. However, in my humble opinion the shift feel is still not as good as what I had in my S2000 or Acura TL.
    It better be the same or better than my 1999 Mazda, or I will feel especially ripped off. Although having said that, I really don't like the stock feel. I might remove the CDV at the same time.

At least I know people are using them and they don't seem to have any problems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The DSSR is the connecting rod between the SSK and the transmission. It is only a few inches long depending on what year 3er you're driving. The difference is that the stock rod is a hollow tube crimped on each end with pins and the DSSR is an H with pins...Click here to enlarge

FWIW I will use UUC for any SSK I ever need. I have put some type of SSK in 4 of my past cars and the UUC in the 3ers has been the best feeling shifter I've ever used.

You will not feel like you're rowing a boat once you get this in. I do suggest changing out the CDV. If you have issues and feel like your friction point is moving, it is! A CDV will fix that issue. I also suggest changing out the clutch stop. I only have one in my 335 and I notice that its missing every time I drive the wifes 330. Its not something that I really think helps in quick shifting but having the firm stop when the clutch is in makes everything feel more solid.

Let us know what you think of the SSK when you get it in.

~Nate

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry for the OT but has anyone tried both the BMWP SSK and the UUC SSK and can comment on the difference? Just curious.
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dblrguy Click here to enlarge
    I also suggest changing out the clutch stop. I only have one in my 335 and I notice that its missing every time I drive the wifes 330. Its not something that I really think helps in quick shifting but having the firm stop when the clutch is in makes everything feel more solid.

Let us know what you think of the SSK when you get it in.

~Nate
    i don't get the point of a clutch stop.. :/ do people shift with the clutch all the way down?

or is it just an 'it's nice to have' kinda thing?

i'm always interested to hear about SSK options... i was looking at some a while ago, but i don't like the BMWP one reducing throw via being shorter (increasing strain and force)... and i found a LOT of reviews of the UUC one being poor quality/breaking and fitment issues?

very interested to hear what it's actually like - i miss having a super short shifter.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by froop Click here to enlarge
    Sorry for the OT but has anyone tried both the BMWP SSK and the UUC SSK and can comment on the difference? Just curious.
    also curious - i know the BMWP one is just a lot shorter - does the UUC one have a longer lever arm at all?

i hate the whole idea 'shorter shifter = shorter shifts'... every SSK i've ever had has been LONGER than stock, but the pivot point was further up... and some had adjustable points so you could end up with a 5mm shift haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    i don't get the point of a clutch stop.. :/ do people shift with the clutch all the way down?

or is it just an 'it's nice to have' kinda thing?

i'm always interested to hear about SSK options... i was looking at some a while ago, but i don't like the BMWP one reducing throw via being shorter (increasing strain and force)... and i found a LOT of reviews of the UUC one being poor quality/breaking and fitment issues?

very interested to hear what it's actually like - i miss having a super short shifter.

also curious - i know the BMWP one is just a lot shorter - does the UUC one have a longer lever arm at all?

i hate the whole idea 'shorter shifter = shorter shifts'... every SSK i've ever had has been LONGER than stock, but the pivot point was further up... and some had adjustable points so you could end up with a 5mm shift haha
    I think the point of the clutch stop is just to make the shifts smoother and more 'luxurious' in a BMW. Without it if you can't shift smoothly then it can just bang in. If you have enough skill though I'm sure driving without a clutch stop is easier but if you're a bit of a nub then it can be 'helpful'.

As for the SSK, I actually have a BMWP one in mine. I've only really driven a 6MT with the stock shifter a couple times but there is definitely quite a lot of difference. The throw is significantly shorter but yes like you said it does require significantly more force in order to get the car into gear in certain gears. 1-2 is the most difficult when on the move and can actually be quite notchy with almost a 2 part movement to get it into 2nd as well as the gear shift sometimes getting 'stuck' when trying to get it into first when downshifting. I'm thinking of changing to the redline MT-90 fluid as well as getting some more solid transmission mounts to help with this. Changing into 3rd-6th gears is pretty smooth though.

The hardest by far has to be trying to get the car into reverse gear. It almost takes 2 hands to do Click here to enlarge. It's a $#@! to do but I guess I'm only really going into reverse at the start and end of a journey.

In saying all of this though I quite like it. I don't mind the extra force required and I like the short throw as well as the chunky, mechanical and raw feeling of each shift. I also like the feeling of the performance gear knob itself. It's a cylindrical shape and lets you grip it like a racing shifter haha
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by froop Click here to enlarge
    I think the point of the clutch stop is just to make the shifts smoother and more 'luxurious' in a BMW. Without it if you can't shift smoothly then it can just bang in. If you have enough skill though I'm sure driving without a clutch stop is easier but if you're a bit of a nub then it can be 'helpful'.

As for the SSK, I actually have a BMWP one in mine. I've only really driven a 6MT with the stock shifter a couple times but there is definitely quite a lot of difference. The throw is significantly shorter but yes like you said it does require significantly more force in order to get the car into gear in certain gears. 1-2 is the most difficult when on the move and can actually be quite notchy with almost a 2 part movement to get it into 2nd as well as the gear shift sometimes getting 'stuck' when trying to get it into first when downshifting. I'm thinking of changing to the redline MT-90 fluid as well as getting some more solid transmission mounts to help with this. Changing into 3rd-6th gears is pretty smooth though.

The hardest by far has to be trying to get the car into reverse gear. It almost takes 2 hands to do Click here to enlarge. It's a $#@! to do but I guess I'm only really going into reverse at the start and end of a journey.

In saying all of this though I quite like it. I don't mind the extra force required and I like the short throw as well as the chunky, mechanical and raw feeling of each shift. I also like the feeling of the performance gear knob itself. It's a cylindrical shape and lets you grip it like a racing shifter haha
    clutch stop is a little nub that goes under the clutch PEDAL so you can't push it further in though, how does that make it smoother? - are you talking about the clutch delay valve which sucks and should be removed ASAP? haha

thanks for that review! i've always liked the look of it for one thing, though not a huge fan of the knob, prefer a weighted metal one haha
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    clutch stop is a little nub that goes under the clutch PEDAL so you can't push it further in though, how does that make it smoother? - are you talking about the clutch delay valve which sucks and should be removed ASAP? haha

thanks for that review! i've always liked the look of it for one thing, though not a huge fan of the knob, prefer a weighted metal one haha
    Ahhh touché Click here to enlarge

In that case I do also have a BMS clutch stop installed. It's not necessary but like you said, it's just a nice thing to have. It it reduces the unecessary pedal travel past the friction point. It's good for a little feedback and also helps in situations like drag racing where adrenaline gets the better of you and you might clutch in too far losing previous milliseconds.

As for the knob, I don't think it comes with the kit but is actually separate. You should be able to get the SSK kit and your own aftermarket knob. Or sell the BMWP knob haha.
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Has anyone heard or used TWM performance short shift kits for BMW? If so, how are they? I heard they are amazing in Japanese cars.
    John 3:16

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I received the kit today. I think I ordered it back around the 2nd, so that is impressive considering it was shipped to Australia.

Very impressed with shipping times, and the product looks like good quality. I will update once its installed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I look forward to hearing more about the UUC SSk + DSSR. Im looking at getting one set soon for my 135.
    Ill get it fitted same time i replace the clutch.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had the UUC on my 08 335xi. Very nice part. Pricey but the best IMO. With the adjustable pivot cup you can get a short shift without the increased effort.

The shifter will help with throw and feel to some degree but that's about it. The 6MT is known to have some issues with the 2nd gear synchro on fast upshifts. Happened to mine and a friend's 08s but another guy's (09?) 335i I drove was beautiful, so it seemed hit or miss, perhaps by model year or by car. In either case, Dzenno posted that he had much better luck with heavier transmission fluid. So if you find your still get problematic fast upshifts, maybe try heavier oil.

As others said, pull out the CDV if you haven't already.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yip, BMS CDV fitted, along with the clutch stop. Maybe ill go the route of new gearbox oil, clutch as well as UUC SSK.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Funny story, i purchased the UUC Evo 3 SSK + DSSR and went to put it in a few weekends ago, turns out my car already had the same exact shifter installed. Click here to enlargeI went ahead and put in the DSSR, but i was happy to be able to return the SSK, but also somewhat disappointed because i was hoping for even shorter shifts. Anyone who has driven my car has commented on the shifter saying it feels much tighter and notchier, now i understand why lol. I just assumed it was because i had such low mileage and the bushings were still very tight.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How much does it cost?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How much does it cost?
    The SSK is $355, DSSR $99.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Funny story, i purchased the UUC Evo 3 SSK + DSSR and went to put it in a few weekends ago, turns out my car already had the same exact shifter installed. Click here to enlargeI went ahead and put in the DSSR, but i was happy to be able to return the SSK, but also somewhat disappointed because i was hoping for even shorter shifts. Anyone who has driven my car has commented on the shifter saying it feels much tighter and notchier, now i understand why lol. I just assumed it was because i had such low mileage and the bushings were still very tight.
    Notice much of a difference with the DSSR?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Honestly, very little. Lateral slop wasn't bad before i installed it, so really not a lot of improvement to be had.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How hard is it to install the DSSR? I've had it sitting around for a few months now dreading the install. I had a very bad experience with the SSK install.

Do you need small hands to get the DSSR in?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    How hard is it to install the DSSR? I've had it sitting around for a few months now dreading the install. I had a very bad experience with the SSK install.

Do you need small hands to get the DSSR in?
    It wasn't too hard in my opinion. Jack the car up and bend the metal heat shield out of the way so you can get to the bottom of the shifter, pull the clips and pins off both ends and reinstall. I didn't need to drop the rear transmission mount as the instructions said, i just reached up and over the transmission to get the clip for the gear selector rod going into the transmission.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Honestly, very little. Lateral slop wasn't bad before i installed it, so really not a lot of improvement to be had.
    This was my experience, sort of. When I put in my UUC SSK, my 08 had less than 5k miles on it IIRC.

I looked closely at the stock external selector rod that connects the bottom of the shifter to the back of the trans (internal selector rod & joint protrudes from trans there). There was basically zero slop on the bottom of my stock shifter (nylon type bushing) to the stock selector rod. I got an inspection mirror and looked at the rod where it meets the trans and I could see that the rod wasn't rocking in the joint as UUC shows here (from http://www.nexternal.com/uuc/articles/SSK-DSSR.htm )
    Click here to enlarge

but rather the whole joint was rocking on it's own shaft only like they show below.
    Click here to enlarge

So adding a DSSR would not have helped me. YMMV.

IMO if you're gonna drop the trans and exhaust and do the DSSR, and since the transmissions supposedly aren't rebuildable (no parts available), you might want to put a small spot weld on the selector rod joint where it meets the internal shaft on the trans. This will tighten up the last bit of play on the whole linkage. The selector rod joint is I believe held to the internal shaft with a small roll/shear pin which is probably what gives a little, causing the rotation/slop.

I also took the time to grind out a small, harmless relief in the bottom of the UUC shifter pivot cup which allowed me to install the shifter without going under the car as opposed to the UUC instructions. Much easier than dropping the trans and exhaust which can make the difference between doing it yourself and having a shop put it in.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast