Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Absolutely! Here's what I did for under 2k, doing all my own work.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...q-for-under-2K

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yes, jb4. ��

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by N54CHICK<3 Click here to enlarge
    Yes, jb4. ��

pic or ban

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by N54CHICK<3 Click here to enlarge
    Yes, jb4. ��
    Hmmmmm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow i wasn't expecting this much replies from all you & in such of a friendly way thank you very much.

First to answer one question i saw on this, i have a 08 E90 built in 2008 (idk if the year when it was made matters). & i am looking for a cheap tune the $500 sounds like a deal but i saw some one that said that you can find one use for $250 (im wonder were can i get one), i can see that most of you is what recommend & i think i can give that a try.
    "An optimist is a driver who thinks that empty space at the curb won't have a hydrant beside it."
    Anonymous

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

see im looking to do something like in a few months i can't spend 2k that easily but saving up & doing the right thing this is also a great option.
    "An optimist is a driver who thinks that empty space at the curb won't have a hydrant beside it."
    Anonymous

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vertigo44 Click here to enlarge
    I am located in NOVA as well. Anytime you want to drive a tuned 335i let me know. Any ticket you get is your responsibility Click here to enlarge
    Lol i actually live in Alexandria too. that would be a great thing to do, to see the difference on a stock car & one that is tuned
    Anonymous

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Look in the classifieds section here. I think a COBB is going for $300 right now actually.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so COBB is better then jb4 or is easier to install just wondering. what i been reading is that both work with the computer so it can tell the turbos to put more PSI or some like that if im not mistaking
    Anonymous

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aguas Click here to enlarge
    so COBB is better then jb4 or is easier to install just wondering. what i been reading is that both work with the computer so it can tell the turbos to put more PSI or some like that if im not mistaking
    I've run both. COBB is easier to install because you flash the car with a cable and handheld device into the OBD port under your steering wheel, that's it. With the JB4, you need to go into your engine bay and install it in the ECU area (the car's computer). It's not hard, but not as easy as just flashing the car with a press of a button obviously.

Can't go wrong with either. I loved my JB4 and will most likely run the JB4+COBB setup if I decide to keep my car because of various reasons.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The JB4 is what is known as a "piggyback." This device sits between the engine and the engine computer, manipulating data flowing in each direction to achieve performance gains.

The Cobb Access Port is a "flash tune". This device alters the factory settings on the engine computer to achieve performance gains.

Both devices come with standard "maps" which provide different levels of performance increase, based mainly on what kind of supporting hardware you have installed (downpipes, intercooler, dual cone intake filters, etc.) Each has a PC application where you can fine tune the maps to suit your specific needs. This is not required however, and both devices can be installed rather quickly, and setup to provide increased performance on a car with no other hardware changes.

Installing the JB4 requires you to open the sealed box under the hood containing the engine computer and plug it into the engine harness, while the Cobb AP simply requires you to plug the device into the OBD-II port. So in that respect the Cobb AP may be easier to install, but the JB4 is surely not too difficult for the average person.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Based on your prior posts, I strongly suggest going with COBB purely because of the ease of install/uninstall.

Reasons:

1. You're still under CPO;
    2. You don't seem mechanically inclined; and
    3. There are nice people in your area that will help you install it, but what happens when you need to take your car to the dealership?

Expect to pay $450-550 for a used COBB. You will not regret your decision to tune the car because it completely transforms the car. You don't have to always drive fast, but when you do, you do.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Get a boost gauge, that way you can stay out of boost if you want to take it easy and you'll know if you have a issue if your not boosting well. You would be surprised how easy it is to dd this car and stay out of boost....I mean it isn't as fun...but you get the point
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jump on youtube ( ) and watch some videos on the JB4. If it is something you like,..while I dont want to speak for others...I am sure someone will help you install it, myself included. It's not difficult all as long as you don't try and rush through it. JB4 is very nice for reading codes and logging. I've never used Cobb so I don't know if Cobb can log and read out dme codes. I would think it can though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Vertigo44 Click here to enlarge
    I've never used Cobb so I don't know if Cobb can log and read out dme codes. I would think it can though.
    Yes it can.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

If on a budget the free BB Flash only require a BT cable, get one from BMS think the 3VIN one is $270.

And just grab the correct BIN from the download section here on bimmerboost Click here to enlarge

As easy as COBB and half price of the JB4 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

see im looking to do something like in a few months i can't spend 2k that easily but saving up & doing the right thing this is also a great option.
    If you're gonna mod heavily, get a tune (you'll need a flash eventually so I'd recommend COBB), an FMIC, DCIs & Catless DPs
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you all for your replies.

I got me a jb4 G4 for $225 with the USB cable good deal i guess. now i just have to wait to get it & install. i may not be mechanic savvy but i saw a bunch of videos on you tube on how to install it & i think i can do it.

Can't wait to drive the car with that thing on.

Talking a little about the unit.. I was reading online that because i only have the DCI & 93 octane i should use map 1 or 5 & that if i want to use map 2 i need to get the down pipes (something i have to wait to get) & some other people said that i can use map 2. so what do you guys recommend if you all don't mind asking a little advice like i did earlier on this post.
    Anonymous

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Thank you all for your replies.

I got me a jb4 G4 for $225 with the USB cable good deal i guess. now i just have to wait to get it & install. i may not be mechanic savvy but i saw a bunch of videos on you tube on how to install it & i think i can do it.

Can't wait to drive the car with that thing on.

Talking a little about the unit.. I was reading online that because i only have the DCI & 93 octane i should use map 1 or 5 & that if i want to use map 2 i need to get the down pipes (something i have to wait to get) & some other people said that i can use map 2. so what do you guys recommend if you all don't mind asking a little advice like i did earlier on this post.
    There should be a map list somewhere around here and you can always ask @Terry@BMS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    There should be a map list somewhere around here and you can always ask @Terry@BMS
    cool thank you.
    Anonymous

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It would be a crime not to [or should be]
    Be prepared though, for what starts out as "I will just throw a JB4 on it" soon see's cash leaving your wallet like the Starship Enterprise hitting the warp engines Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    335i ~ JB4 ~ BMS ~ DCI ~ Active Autowerks CP & BOV ~ Borla Catback Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sparky68 Click here to enlarge
    It would be a crime not to [or should be]
    Be prepared though, for what starts out as "I will just throw a JB4 on it" soon see's cash leaving your wallet like the Starship Enterprise hitting the warp engines Click here to enlarge
    lol Click here to enlarge
    Anonymous

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Just tune it... Stock is quite slow
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    Just tune it... Stock is quite slow
    This. I just sold my v2, so I'm currently stock awaiting arrival of my v3. Even my brother felt it when I picked him up over the weekend and he's rarely in the car. To quote him, "Why the #!%* is your car so slow today?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12