Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

is it worth tuning your 335i?

Afternoon folks.

I been thinking for the past 10 months if i should tune my car, is my DD with 82k on it, i live in NoVA & i usually take 495 every day my drive is around 1 hour going & come back, i like to drive fast & i think that my car is fast enough but i want to know if tuning will make a difference or will it make the experience of driving more pleasant, maybe pleasant is not the right word... but i think you guys can kind of catch what im trying to say.

i don't track my car at all, i want to see how it feels, i consider my self an ok driver not ayrton but close to him lol JP.

i don't make a crazy amount of money & i don't know were to start in the case i decide to or even if i should, just venting..
    "An optimist is a driver who thinks that empty space at the curb won't have a hydrant beside it."
    Anonymous

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Budget tune is a JB4 G5.
    As a newb you can not go wrong with that.
    It will give you a big smile, I guarantee it
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Hell yes it is work it! JB it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool that sounds like a good deal for $500 you get 80hp, just saw the video on how to change maps idk what that means but saw it lol.
    i been reading that those tunes take away your warranty if it shows some type of codes, i still have the cop warranty because the previous owner purchased an extend one or some like that & i also the maintenance is included with that warranty or w/e is call.

i guess my point is will that affect the warranty i have on the car? i did read about some code deleter but i can't afford them at least for right now or even if i get that jb4 g5 i will have to wait to get it.
    "An optimist is a driver who thinks that empty space at the curb won't have a hydrant beside it."
    Anonymous

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thank you for your replies btw.
    Anonymous

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

ALWAYS modify your 335. You haven't mentioned it, but what year/engine do you have (N54 vs N55)?

(Assuming you have an N54) Can't go wrong with a COBB (used ~$400ish) or the JB4 ($250 used or $500 brand new). The COBB is easier to install, allows you to monitor a lot more channels/performance variables, but if you're not going to heavily mod your car or be willing to PROtune it, it won't really shine.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

There is a big BMW community in the NOVA area and there are plenty of guys that would probably be willing to demonstrate how tuned N54 runs. Checkout the Bimmer Alliance facebook page.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aguas Click here to enlarge
    Afternoon folks.

I been thinking for the past 10 months if i should tune my car, is my DD with 82k on it, i live in NoVA & i usually take 495 every day my drive is around 1 hour going & come back, i like to drive fast & i think that my car is fast enough but i want to know if tuning will make a difference or will it make the experience of driving more pleasant, maybe pleasant is not the right word... but i think you guys can kind of catch what im trying to say.

i don't track my car at all, i want to see how it feels, i consider my self an ok driver not ayrton but close to him lol JP.

i don't make a crazy amount of money & i don't know were to start in the case i decide to or even if i should, just venting..
    First to answer your question, yes! Its almost a crime not to tune your N54.

obvious budget choice is the BB Flash since it only require a BT cable (or someone who has one) BUT since you are new to this you should really make sure you get a tune with good support, and no one provides better support than mr JB4 himself @Terry@BMS
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    No do not do it,
    your car will be faster and you'll get more tickets Click here to enlarge
    Cobb tuned, spec2+, wavetrac, DCI, ARdp's, AA fmic, forge DV's, M3 links & Sways, bbs lm's, bunch of exterior mods, and one happy BMW driver

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Were you just looking for an excuse to get a tune? Coming to an enthusiast forum asking if you should? Like anybody here would seriously tell you no.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exactly!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Do it, you'll kick urself for not doing it sooner
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

IMO the bests n00b aftermarket part to get is the Cobb. it is really safe and the absolute easiest thing to install. JB4 is cool, but honestly I recommend the Cobb as your first mod. If you then decide to go further, stacking it with the JB4 would be the way to go. But for now do the Cobb. You can simply plug it in and load up the software and be good to go. You will be shocked to see what Stage 1 does. Then get yourself a nice dual cone intake from BMS you'll be hooked on mods after that. Those are the two easiest things you can buy and install and pretty much be guaranteed not to screw anything up. Oh, and uninstall with the Cobb is also extremely easy, just plug in, scroll down, and click uninstall lol.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Get the jb4 you'll be happy I was after I installed mine. I'm down in Annapolis, MD if you need help with the install.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Have you considered a prius?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Afternoon folks.

If you want to ride in a stock turbo car fbo w/meth and e60 let me know or come to one of the BA meets. I live in in Alexandria.
    11.76 @ 124 (123.9) full weight e92 335i, street tires, no meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have over a 100k on my 335i and I have spent to same amount to mod my car as I have to keep my 07 Expedition running. Stuff is going to break on the 335i if you tune it or not. My water pump is the only thing I've had to replace and was covered by an aftermarket warranty. I had downpipes, jb4 and dual cone intake when I took it to the dealer. No issues. Had nothing to do with the plastic water pump that broke. I recommend JB4 but be warned once you start it won't stop till your FBO lol.
    07 335i FFTEC 600 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Go with JB4 by BMS. It's a piggyback. The benefit of this is if you go for service or you're throwing a CEL, you can just unplug the piggyback and no one has to know

now with Cobb, not sure if it triggers a flash counter that lets BMW know you are flashed. I know the VAG ECUs do that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    Go with JB4 by BMS. It's a piggyback. The benefit of this is if you go for service or you're throwing a CEL, you can just unplug the piggyback and no one has to know

now with Cobb, not sure if it triggers a flash counter that lets BMW know you are flashed. I know the VAG ECUs do that.
    No, when uninstalled there is not trace of it. Only mistake some people make is putting on the "stock" map instead of uninstalling.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Afternoon folks.

Definitely giving it a tune will make a lot of difference. You'll feel the extra power in terms of the kick in the seat of your pants whenever your stomp on the go fast pedal.

As a newb you'll probably want to make sure you have a lot of support so getting a tuning device from some of the larger vendors are probably your best bet. JB4, Procede, OFT or Cobb are all suitable options with the JB4 and OFT being the cheapest options. Second hand Cobbs are getting pretty cheap too. All of them will probably give you around about similar gains so what you're prepared to pay, the level of support, what different features and what type of tune you want to go with will come down to your research.

Any aftermarket tune will affect your warranty so that is the risk that you take. There are ways around this though such as removing the tune before taking it in for servicing at your dealership etc however there are reports of the dealer being able to tell if the car has been tuned past it's factory limits even if you remove the tune. Again, all part of the risk:reward equation.

Good luck and have fun!
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    No, when uninstalled there is not trace of it. Only mistake some people make is putting on the "stock" map instead of uninstalling.
    I have read reports from people who have been told there is a flash counter. An Australian member who has a Cobb on his 1M was told by his dealer they knew he'd been flashing his car due to the excessive number of flash counts on his DME.

I've also read that it's possible for the dealership to dig into the DME if they suspect the car has been tuned and find out what level of boost the car has reached which would indicate an aftermarket tune increasing the boost level.

Of course all of this might be speculation.
    Stuff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by froop Click here to enlarge
    I have read reports from people who have been told there is a flash counter. An Australian member who has a Cobb on his 1M was told by his dealer they knew he'd been flashing his car due to the excessive number of flash counts on his DME.
    If they voided any part of his warranty for excessive flash counts he has a court case. That alone will not be enough.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am located in NOVA as well. Anytime you want to drive a tuned 335i let me know. Any ticket you get is your responsibility Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast