Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

MegaSquirt For More Fuel

Has any one thought about running an independent fuel system to resolve our HPFP issue.

Such as a 2nd low pressure fuel pump, 2nd fuel rail for the air intake manifold, and a couple IED 1000's injectors attached to a mega squirt to manage the fuel?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    N54 has a 3 tooth crack sensor which is non standard in the industry. Megasquirt won't work.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

You can run a megasquirt off of a cam position sensor. I think there is easier ways of doing what you want than using megasquirt. There is an external fuel control thread somewhere. If you were going to go through the trouble to do all that, I say ditch the di and dme completely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

The DI and DME is what makes the N54 what it is. If you ditch that you might as well just buy an E36 M3 and swap in a built S54 and go back 20 years worth of technology.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

If that's what it takes to make good power, why not? It shouldn't be hard to go fast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Just my opinion but a HPFP upgrade is the only proper fuel system upgrade and the ONLY one i'll run on my car. Like I said, anything else is a step backwards. Secondary port injection is exactly what Shiv is already using for fueling on the ST cars, he just sprays methanol instead of gasoline.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    If that's what it takes to make good power, why not? It shouldn't be hard to go fast.
    That's a dumb statement. If going faster than the N54 platform is what you want and you don't mind an older car there are a dozen better options for fast especially when it comes to price. IMO you can't beat the N54 package for ease of use, reliability, fuel mileage for the power, it's a nice ride as long as you don't need over 500 WHP.

Back on the topic though, if it wouldn't be so dam expensive to have a suplemental Port Fuel Injection system to "Assist" and help keep the intake valves clean I'd like that. You wouldn't need another fuel pump as the upgraded LPFP solutions now provide plenty of fuel you would just need to tap into that. The intake manifold would be the most expensive part of the setup.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

A dumb statement is liking $#@! that doesn't work lol. I know the n54 isn't for me. That's why my car is stock, I use it what is what meant for, a dd.

my point was for people who are actually trying to go fast, obviously not you, there are easier ways of going about getting fuel to your motor. This car runs closed loop. If you run secondary injection to "assist" what do you think your do system is doing? Compare somebody's logs that run meth to when they are off meth, fuel trims specifically. Now think about how much you would need to inject to make 800+ hp.

Op, if you need help pm me. I'm off to work on the other 6466 car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Just my opinion but a HPFP upgrade is the only proper fuel system upgrade and the ONLY one i'll run on my car. Like I said, anything else is a step backwards. Secondary port injection is exactly what Shiv is already using for fueling on the ST cars, he just sprays methanol instead of gasoline.
    I agree and I wish it was that easy, but currently there is no upgraded HPFP options.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

There is already an option but nobody will go to van nuys to get test fitted so the part can get fabricated.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    There is already an option but nobody will go to van nuys to get test fitted so the part can get fabricated.
    I remember your thread about suppl injection....How long would it take to get it fitted? If you give me a few weeks I can find some time to get it done as long as they dont have to do any guinea pig tuning testing on me Click here to enlarge Just hardware fitment
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

We have fuel issues? We made 725 on a dual LPFP set up and our HPFP upgrade, Shiv has now made something 738 with the stock pump and his inline upgrade and making the same HPFS modifications we are. Are you guys planning on running 900 WHP anytime soon or something? Not to mention people are making almost 500 WHP on straight E85 with stock in tank pump and a $100 inline. Seems as of right now, fuel really doesn't seem to be an issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Well we kinda do have Fuel issues, there's enough threads showing upgraded stock frame turbo's at low to mid RPM's running a higher concentration of E85. If you're looking at 800+ HP then your probably not going to have an issue with the current HPFP upgrade from what the few true turbo upgrade examples that are out there.

I like big numbers as much as the next guy but realistically they are worthless after a certain point. Trailered Dyno Queens, dedicated drag cars and high speed highway racers which is pretty much worthless to most people that like to drive there cars. We have yet to see VTT's production Stage 3 at a track but we've seen Shiv's numbers that are only slightly better than the fastest stock frame turbo cars.
    @BoostAddict - How fast is it people are trying to go? Most people I've talked to are pretty happy having their DD's making it into 11's.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    Well we kinda do have Fuel issues, there's enough threads showing upgraded stock frame turbo's at low to mid RPM's running a higher concentration of E85. If you're looking at 800+ HP then your probably not going to have an issue with the current HPFP upgrade from what the few true turbo upgrade examples that are out there.

I like big numbers as much as the next guy but realistically they are worthless after a certain point. Trailered Dyno Queens, dedicated drag cars and high speed highway racers which is pretty much worthless to most people that like to drive there cars. We have yet to see VTT's production Stage 3 at a track but we've seen Shiv's numbers that are only slightly better than the fastest stock frame turbo cars.
    @BoostAddict - How fast is it people are trying to go? Most people I've talked to are pretty happy having their DD's making it into 11's.
    Seems all the new dyno numbers are with stock frame turbos running straight E85 with some sort of back end flash and lpfp upgrade and no reported fuel problems. Also on stage 3 why would you see a prototype kit at the track. A prototype kit is built and run to provide proof of concept, ie can it make the WHP it claims, and its reliable. It did exactly that and it did it easily. The kit is then pulled and put into production, and when productions kits are installed then they can be taken to track or whatever the customer wishes. Not sure if you are aware of this, but 725 WHP will propel a properly prepared vehicle down the 1/4 mile in WELL under 10 seconds, prob get close to 9's. So its very obvious what this tells us is, this platform is not a very successful platform for 1/4 drag racing as the WHP is available but the times are not following. So this means either we will see people start to build purpose built race cars or an Automatic transmission upgrade will come along that will allow these times to be run. Speaking of our kit vs the fftec. I have asked many times and no one has ever answered. Can anyone provide even WHP numbers from the prototype kit fftec built and installed on Shivs car for testing before their kit went into production, let alone any sort of track times, or numbers? Using a basic timeline you can assume they had the prototype kit built somewhere around 3 years ago and we are just now seeing him break a 60-130 time and still no faster 1/4 times (after a FULL kit redesign, new turbo, new manifold, new wastegate design), this is with somewhere between 10-25 kits on customers cars, so for you to ask for "real world" testing out of prototype kit which was never intended to do that is a little silly. We built the kit and beat the snot out of it, ran it into the ground forever 5000 miles, drove to LA twice, commuted in it for 3 weeks, cant even count the amount of WOT pulls, this was to make sure the kit was reliable and made the power we expected. Once its ready to customers, I have no doubts we will see times very quickly after that, I do not think it will take the 2 years it took the ST kit to come up with big WHP numbers and finally some decent 60-130. So if in 2 years our kit is installed on 10+ customer cars and we still have no numbers then you will have a valid beef, as of right now, there is not one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    I remember your thread about suppl injection....How long would it take to get it fitted? If you give me a few weeks I can find some time to get it done as long as they dont have to do any guinea pig tuning testing on me Click here to enlarge Just hardware fitment
    An hour.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

A dumb statement is liking $#@! that doesn't work lol. I know the n54 isn't for me. That's why my car is stock, I use it what is what meant for, a dd.

my point was for people who are actually trying to go fast, obviously not you, there are easier ways of going about getting fuel to your motor. This car runs closed loop. If you run secondary injection to "assist" what do you think your do system is doing? Compare somebody's logs that run meth to when they are off meth, fuel trims specifically. Now think about how much you would need to inject to make 800+ hp.

Op, if you need help pm me. I'm off to work on the other 6466 car.
    There will plenty of guys going fast without resorting to PI and it looks like that time is.coming soon
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

well lets see what we can push w upgraded LPFP and stock HPFP on e85 and big single turbo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Don't worry, not everyone is a DI purist. I personally like DI, however I'm not opposed to running port injection. It works well and in supplement to DI I think it will be great.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Seems all the new dyno numbers are with stock frame turbos running straight E85 with some sort of back end flash and lpfp upgrade and no reported fuel problems. Also on stage 3 why would you see a prototype kit at the track. A prototype kit is built and run to provide proof of concept, ie can it make the WHP it claims, and its reliable. It did exactly that and it did it easily. The kit is then pulled and put into production, and when productions kits are installed then they can be taken to track or whatever the customer wishes. Not sure if you are aware of this, but 725 WHP will propel a properly prepared vehicle down the 1/4 mile in WELL under 10 seconds, prob get close to 9's. So its very obvious what this tells us is, this platform is not a very successful platform for 1/4 drag racing as the WHP is available but the times are not following. So this means either we will see people start to build purpose built race cars or an Automatic transmission upgrade will come along that will allow these times to be run. Speaking of our kit vs the fftec. I have asked many times and no one has ever answered. Can anyone provide even WHP numbers from the prototype kit fftec built and installed on Shivs car for testing before their kit went into production, let alone any sort of track times, or numbers? Using a basic timeline you can assume they had the prototype kit built somewhere around 3 years ago and we are just now seeing him break a 60-130 time and still no faster 1/4 times (after a FULL kit redesign, new turbo, new manifold, new wastegate design), this is with somewhere between 10-25 kits on customers cars, so for you to ask for "real world" testing out of prototype kit which was never intended to do that is a little silly. We built the kit and beat the snot out of it, ran it into the ground forever 5000 miles, drove to LA twice, commuted in it for 3 weeks, cant even count the amount of WOT pulls, this was to make sure the kit was reliable and made the power we expected. Once its ready to customers, I have no doubts we will see times very quickly after that, I do not think it will take the 2 years it took the ST kit to come up with big WHP numbers and finally some decent 60-130. So if in 2 years our kit is installed on 10+ customer cars and we still have no numbers then you will have a valid beef, as of right now, there is not one.
    Tony, settle I wasn't bashing, when I said we haven't seen a Stage 3 at the track I wasn't expecting one yet it was more of a statement as it is too early at this time and we will see what happens. I still have hopes for it but that will depend on the people running it and the cars abilities. You can turn any car into a drag car and have the numbers come way down. As for the guys that were trying to run high concentrations of E85 unless I missed some threads anything I recalled when them giving up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    N54 has a 3 tooth crack sensor which is non standard in the industry. Megasquirt won't work.
    Seeing this kind of info posted so quickly and easily puts a smile on my face as to the quality of knowledge here. I would have never known that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aflatau Click here to enlarge
    well lets see what we can push w upgraded LPFP and stock HPFP on e85 and big single turbo.
    So far on straight e85 and just an inline pump, with a 6262mm no meth made ~600whp on FFTEC's mustang dyno on Melissa's single turbo. I'm wondering if that is the cap with what we can do with the stock fuel system and straight e85 with a big single, or if there is more left in there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dmacc Click here to enlarge
    So far on straight e85 and just an inline pump, with a 6262mm no meth made ~600whp on FFTEC's mustang dyno on Melissa's single turbo. I'm wondering if that is the cap with what we can do with the stock fuel system and straight e85 with a big single, or if there is more left in there.
    Interesting, Was that posted up online anywhere? And those are good numbers on a Mustang Dyno those read low.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aflatau Click here to enlarge
    Interesting, Was that posted up online anywhere? And those are good numbers on a Mustang Dyno those read low.
    Just tried searching but could not pull up the dyno plot. I suppose it might not be online, last thread I saw of Melissa's car she was running straight e85 with meth injection and made 660whp

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Only no meth dyno with 600whp I have seen from the ST cars is where the 6466 made 600whp on 91 octane only.