Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Alpina DSC Flash - is it any different and is it possible?

Just wanted to start a discussion the the Alpina B3 DSC software. One thing I have always been disappointed with on the 335i is how intrusive the DSC system is. So was thinking about it and about how much better the Alpina trans flash is and started wondering if Alpina tinkered with the DSC programming.

So the questions are:

1. Does anyone know if the Alpina DSC software is different and if it is if anyone has experienced it?
    2. If so, then what is the alpina ZB number for the software?
    3. Can it be written onto our cars?

Rob
    2008 E93 Giac Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
    2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The DSC90 folder in the V48.1 Daten seems to contain the files for the DSC module. Unfortunately, the files do not contain headers like the GKE215 (6AT) files that might give an indication of what the file is for. For instance with the 0DA file programmed to my US 6AT, you can clearly see from the headers the file is for a US vehicle. The Aplina file is clearly for an ECE vehicle (Europe). You can then link the 0DA files back to 0PA files using the GKE215.dat file.

You would need an Alpina B3 owner to read the car's modules with INPA, then we could identify the ZUSB number and/or the 0PA file used.

Why don't you just hit the TC button once and go to DTC mode?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just want to point out if anyone could correctly alter this software it would be Alpina.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It would be nice to have a traction control that actually lets you push to the limits of traction and not like a typical GM style nanny that cuts all fun at the first sign of an issue. Smoking the tires doesn't put power down to the ground and neither does suddenly cutting 60% of the power. I've owned several NA cars like this, my Acura TL I could floor it in the rain and sometimes it was so quick I wouldn't even spin at all. It never had a hiccup or noticeable sudden cut of power it just felt a little slower than it should have been.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I do hit dtc a fair bit, but I would actually like the standard mode with stability control to allow a bit more fun while maintaining stability control, thinking this is what I would allow if I was alpina, kinda like the m3 does, allowing fun but saving my ass when needed!

dtc is ok, but still a little intrusive and not progressive, it is still a bit like a light switch when it comes on, the m3 is much more progressive as it comes on.
    2008 E93 Giac Stage 2, HPF IC, Injen Intake, Defective AR Design DP's with useless cats
    2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Just want to point out if anyone could correctly alter this software it would be Alpina.
    Fully agreed!
    2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have not found any specific reference to what alpina does to dsc, but lots of Internet chatter about how it is different and more progressive and allows a bit more fun.

A little known fact is that ALPINA work on the DSC settings as well as engine management stuff. Specifically, they have extra settings that sense when the car is being driven "progressively" such that the DSC will allow more slippage than the BMW system before intervening. It isn't a huge difference bu allows a driver to lean the car more enthusiastically through the twsity bits and allow for the tail to slip a bit more than usual.
    2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's nice to have a close relationship with BMW. Too bad Alpina doesn't use it to build monsters.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't imagine how much fun could be had having access to all of BMW's source code and being able to build whatever you wanted!

They certainly seemed to go a bit further with the new B3 than they had on the previous version!
    2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roadkillrob Click here to enlarge
    I can't imagine how much fun could be had having access to all of BMW's source code and being able to build whatever you wanted!

They certainly seemed to go a bit further with the new B3 than they had on the previous version!
    Twin turbo N55? No problemo. You want to upgrade N63 turbos? No problemo.

A shame BMW is such a $#@!.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Twin turbo N55? No problemo. You want to upgrade N63 turbos? No problemo.

A shame BMW is such a $#@!.
    Click here to enlarge
    2010 E90 335i xDrive
    JB4 G5 ISO | BMS DCI | BMS OCC | Alpina Flash | LED Angel Eyes | Matte Black Kidney Grills | growing list....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It must be a bit frustrating at Alpina with all that access and info and then BMW legal probably has a book a foot thick with all the rules they can't break so as not to compete too much with BMW products etc. Such a shame.
    2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well the new B3 (F body) has electronic dampers so they must have seriously hacked the DSC to get all those acronyms to talk to each other. I do not believe this was available on e90 B3.

The suspension set-up of the new B3 Bi-Turbo provides excellent ride-quality and comfort while simultaneously offering sharp and dynamic handling. The adaptive ALPINA sport suspension solves this conflict of interest by means of electronically adjustable dampers in collaboration with performance springs, bump stops and stabilisers. The system allows the driver to use the Drive Performance Control (Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, Sport+) to select the suspension setting and driving dynamics to match his mood.

http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/en...o/chassis.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It must be a bit frustrating at Alpina with all that access and info and then BMW legal probably has a book a foot thick with all the rules they can't break so as not to compete too much with BMW products etc. Such a shame.
    Certainly way different from the relationship of Porsche and RUF, which Porsche pretty much lets them do as they please.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Certainly way different from the relationship of Porsche and RUF, which Porsche pretty much lets them do as they please.
    Porsche is way more enthusiast geared than BMW that is for damn sure. RUF has done some pretty cool things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I thought Ruf just bought shells and build their own stuff inside.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by coolbho3k Click here to enlarge
    I thought Ruf just bought shells and build their own stuff inside.
    With certain cars they do. They have a lot of leeway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any update on this one ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hi man. The DSC Flash from Alpina is same! But they have different coding in version b3sGT. b3sGT have StopTech brake system front 355/32 rear 345/28 and this data must be a coding in DSC90 pump ECU.
    Thank you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ncat10 Click here to enlarge
    Hi man. The DSC Flash from Alpina is same! But they have different coding in version b3sGT. b3sGT have StopTech brake system front 355/32 rear 345/28 and this data must be a coding in DSC90 pump ECU.
    Thank you.
    Is there also a difference between the B3, the B3S and the B3 GT3 with the AT flash?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigHoncho Click here to enlarge
    Is there also a difference between the B3, the B3S and the B3 GT3 with the AT flash?
    No. There are 2 alpina flash and both compatible on b3 b3s and b3sGT
    _6Z_GKE215_B30 Alpin
    ZUB 7615835
    ZUB 7610762

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I drive the car pretty aggressively in DTC mode and don't find it intervening much at all. The DSC mode is horrible. Why wouldn't you just go DTC again? I read the comment, but I don't get it. What do you want that the DTC mode doesn't provide? More or less intervention?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ncat10 Click here to enlarge
    No. There are 2 alpina flash and both compatible on b3 b3s and b3sGT
    _6Z_GKE215_B30 Alpin
    ZUB 7615835
    ZUB 7610762
    Thanks!
    I thought they made some improvements over the B3 since 2007, especially with the B3 GT3 (2012), which is meant for track use...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rudypoochris Click here to enlarge
    I drive the car pretty aggressively in DTC mode and don't find it intervening much at all. The DSC mode is horrible. Why wouldn't you just go DTC again? I read the comment, but I don't get it. What do you want that the DTC mode doesn't provide? More or less intervention?
    Less intervention, more the the M mode on the M3 where it will let it get more sideways before cutting in and a more progressive intervention would be nice instead of making it feel like you hit a wall!
    2014 X3 35i JB Stage 1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Less intervention, more the the M mode on the M3 where it will let it get more sideways before cutting in and a more progressive intervention would be nice instead of making it feel like you hit a wall!
    Very strange. I haven't experienced this hitting a wall thing you talk about (with DSC off). I definitely get it sideways too, but not at very high angles. Actually I dont think DTC mode limits your lateral movement. I think it just reduced wheel spin to maximize traction using brakes where as DSC clearly downs the throttle/timing. Why wouldn't you just turn it all off if you're concern is a high slip angle and wanting to spin wheels? I guess I just don't see a very big difference between DTC and all off unless you're trying to get more wheel spin or less intervention over a bumpy curve which would have wheels spin for instance.
    Last edited by rudypoochris; 11-23-2013 at 02:11 PM.