Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

How aggressive can you go on a stock setup with E85 in your tank?

Hi,

I went FBO before I started testing with E85 mixes (2y ago), and with E85 (50%) and some 98+ RON and Meth I didnt really have any timing issues at all with the stock timing curve at 19.5psi Click here to enlarge

But now with E85 and improved fueling flashes, how much boost at lets say 13deg advance can a non-bolt-on engine handle?

Can a 50% E85 mix take 18 tapering to 13psi at 13deg? or will the timing log look like crap?

I've seen some Dyno's that seems to promote similar setups, but on the street what works?

Anyone care to share some not so perfect logs? Or if it works fine pls show me some logs of that Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    Hi,

I went FBO before I started testing with E85 mixes (2y ago), and with E85 (50%) and some 98+ RON and Meth I didnt really have any timing issues at all with the stock timing curve at 19.5psi Click here to enlarge

But now with E85 and improved fueling flashes, how much boost at lets say 13deg advance can a non-bolt-on engine handle?

Can a 50% E85 mix take 18 tapering to 13psi at 13deg? or will the timing log look like crap?

I've seen some Dyno's that seems to promote similar setups, but on the street what works?

Anyone care to share some not so perfect logs? Or if it works fine pls show me some logs of that Click here to enlarge
    At those power levels, and with E85's magical knock suppression, if you see any hints of timing drops you are fairly over advanced(unless its a mechanical issue). With that being said, you can push pretty hard before it pushes back. Without doing some REAL digging, off the top of my head i would think you can push 18psi tapering to 16 psi with 13* timing on a non FBO car on E50 + Meth. I've always tapered boost off heavily past 6k and try to shift around 6k.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm only running a JB4 (G4) on Map 5 and a DCI, but no flash yet. I usually run around 33% to 40% E85. I'm going out of town this weekend but can log some things when I get back if you'd like. I finally got around to getting a laptop so I'm just now getting into the logging stuff.
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    At those power levels, and with E85's magical knock suppression, if you see any hints of timing drops you are fairly over advanced(unless its a mechanical issue). With that being said, you can push pretty hard before it pushes back. Without doing some REAL digging, off the top of my head i would think you can push 18psi tapering to 16 psi with 13* timing on a non FBO car on E50 + Meth. I've always tapered boost off heavily past 6k and try to shift around 6k.
    The car I have in mind will never run meth so its only flash+E85 that is of interest for now.

I guess that if the fueling system can keep up maybe 18psi on a heavy E85 mix is within reach...
    Click here to enlarge
    997.1 tt
    Kline 200cell exhaust
    997.2/GT2RS IC's
    Cobb E85 custom stage3 tune by Mitch
    ID1000 injectors
    Sachs stage 2.5 clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I run jb4 map 7 with e60 fuel mixes.. 18.5 psi tapering down to 15 or so with around 13 degrees of timing. timing looks good, no drops in weather cooler than 80 degrees lol. I do have the in tank walbro e85 pump upgrade though.
    2008 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    On these little turbos I just run the same boost curve all the time and only change the timing map and fuel scalars for E85 mixes. And I'm pretty much running all the boost I can get at high elevation in both cases. Without an FMIC I was having to pull a lot of timing as the air charge heated up, though. Now I have an FMIC so it's not an issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    E50 on a stock setup should work just fine. It will be less stressful on the turbo's than a FBO setup but a bit harder on the engine heat wise, but the E50 should handle it fine. The intercooler will be heatsoaked most of the time at those pressures but with the E85 it shouldn't be much of an issue. Also, fueling E50 or even E70 shouldn't be as hard on a stock car since you won't be making as much power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From e40 and map 5 woukd you notice a big difference compared to e60 and map 7 with the flash?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stucks Click here to enlarge
    I run jb4 map 7 with e60 fuel mixes.. 18.5 psi tapering down to 15 or so with around 13 degrees of timing. timing looks good, no drops in weather cooler than 80 degrees lol. I do have the in tank walbro e85 pump upgrade though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bstone1989 Click here to enlarge
    From e40 and map 5 woukd you notice a big difference compared to e60 and map 7 with the flash?
    Not a huge difference, but there is more top end.
    2008 e92 335i