Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

7 out of 7 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

481rw stock turbo

Hey guys,

Just wrapped up some dyno testing on our E92 MT. Mods include the JB4, BB flash, BMS DP, BMS DCI, CPE BOV, CPE IC, and BMS OCC. Factory catback system & midcats. $100 inline fuel pump. Spec clutch w/ steel flywheel.

Fuel for today was E85 mixed with 91 octane. Around E60. Although there is probably a few more HP in there with E70-E80. Dyno room temps were in the low 90s. Fans were pretty good.

The only changes since last time around (461rw) are on the tuning end. More advance, leaner air/fuel ratios, a slightly different VANOS curve, and some boost curve changes when the meth is flowing.

The E85 only runs were on map 7. You'll notice the timing curve was consistently a bit aggressive around 6000rpm. On the two best E85 runs the dyno tach pickup skipped a beat so be sure to look at the torque curve and not just the peak numbers.

With meth I decided to crank the boost up as much as I could. I also left the more aggressive timing curve in place. Basically, I was going for a max effort setup. And the car delivered with 481rw. On the advance to my surprise I found it was still aggressive up top even with meth flowing. This curve is going to need E70 up top + meth I suspect. I'll back it down up there for now.

Anyway, very happy to have the stock turbo dynojet record back in our corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WOWZERS!! Which inline pump? I have been waiting on a drop in replacement but I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    crazy torque!
    would like to see RB turbo with same setup, i think 530-540 rwhp Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by 135idct; 08-28-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From the pic, the rear tires are not liking all that TQ Click here to enlarge

Now we need to see some VBOX 60-130mph times!!
    For Sale:

- NX Express complete wet kit with Plug & Play fuel adapter for BMW 335i

- FBO parts here LINK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    **SHAKING FIST** It was good while it lasted :/ Nice run Terry!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wow really impressive Terry.

can you very well DD on this? If you can DD, do you have any guesstimates of the lifespan of the stock turbos?

I can't read those logs worth a damn as I am not well versed in them, so I apologize if those logs answer this question. Are you keeping the same max boost/boost at redline as you normally do? Or did you increase these at all

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge

can you very well DD on this? If you can DD, do you have any guesstimates of the lifespan of the stock turbos?

I can't read those logs worth a damn as I am not well versed in them, so I apologize if those logs answer this question. Are you keeping the same max boost/boost at redline as you normally do? Or did you increase these at all
    Oh Man...I don't Think anyone can predict the lifespan of turbos in general, waaaay too many factors and sheer luck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got to get an inline pump. I have access to E85 and 93. I put close to a 60% mix in last night since I have the E85 flash now and noticed nice bit more power Click here to enlarge
    07 335i FFTEC 600 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by joec500 Click here to enlarge
    **SHAKING FIST** It was good while it lasted :/ Nice run Terry!
    Haha we also have an IC on you so I'm sure you'll be right there soon. With meth disabled I think we only passed you by 6hp. Click here to enlarge

At these "record" power levels every little detail makes a difference. Even our lighter flywheels, rim weights, how the fans are pointed to the IC, ambient conditions, etc. I've also got the BMS low oil temp stat loaded. Maybe that was worth a hp or two.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 08-28-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry: Can I have this backend flash map? Click here to enlarge I think the stock fuel system can handle E50-60 no problem with enough meth thrown at it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    Terry: Can I have this backend flash map? Click here to enlarge I think the stock fuel system can handle E50-60 no problem with enough meth thrown at it.
    Some of the tuning tricks we're using here will only work on the MT. As soon as you shift with an AT everything changes. So I'll have to spend a lot more time on AT mapping development. As of right now for an AT I'd personally use map 7 w/ 50-60% E85 and the AT E85 flash. If you have meth then it will work that much better with it.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boosted-M Click here to enlarge
    From the pic, the rear tires are not liking all that TQ Click here to enlarge

Now we need to see some VBOX 60-130mph times!!
    We'll have to see. This car has always given disappointing VBOX numbers for some reason. Last time I think it did 9.0 60-130 compared to mid 8s with our 135i running the same mods/mapping. I'll be curious to see if these recent low load dynojet gains translate over to the "real world".
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Id be interested in running a non-meth version of this map. Just sold my Cobb and will be using BB Flash for back end now. Im 6MT. Those torque numbers are crazy
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    has this taken the record back from teh procede camp (set a few days ago)? i'm not even sure any more.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lulz
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge

Generally speaking more boost, more timing, leaner air/fuel ratios. On the turbo life these turbos already smoke sometimes at idle. Running this sort of a boost curve is definitely not "good" for them. But when stock turbos fail rather than explode they tend to just start burning more and more oil. Which means you can normally push them to the end with confidence knowing you probably won't damage anything other than the relatively inexpensive turbos themselves.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 08-28-2013 at 05:58 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    some must be pulling their hair behind the computer screen hahaha

bms flash that works very well in the manual changes

great job terry ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by joec500 Click here to enlarge
    Oh Man...I don't Think anyone can predict the lifespan of turbos in general, waaaay too many factors and sheer luck.
    This is the point I was going to bring up.

Will these things last?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Prob not. Haha. Anyone pushing 20psi on stock turbos should not expect them to last real long haha. It's fun while they last though. I pushed mine at 19.5 psi for 10k miles with no issues.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They won't last, but we have stg 2 options that are pretty cheap so....have fun while it lasts!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Prob not. Haha. Anyone pushing 20psi on stock turbos should not expect them to last real long haha. It's fun while they last though. I pushed mine at 19.5 psi for 10k miles with no issues.
    Id say for most of us who would choose to push them to that limit, would "assume" failure is a real option and would be ready to upgrade soon. Although i said "assume" and you know what that stands for.
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Great work Terry. Those are pretty insane numbers for stock turbos... Almost makes me reconsider whether it's worth forking out the extra $5k for upgraded turbos even though my stockers smoke and leak oil like crazy.

Just out of curiosity, the previous 461hp record that you had, was that on a DD map whereas this run was a record run tune?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The 461rw was on a less aggressive and probably all around more stable setup. But the peeps want records and we're happy to explore pushing stock turbos to the "next level". Now that I know this puts down more power on the dyno I'll have to better quantify on road performance gains vs. 460rw trim.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Some of the tuning tricks we're using here will only work on the MT. As soon as you shift with an AT everything changes. So I'll have to spend a lot more time on AT mapping development. As of right now for an AT I'd personally use map 7 w/ 50-60% E85 and the AT E85 flash. If you have meth then it will work that much better with it.
    re: tricks, is this related to flatlining issues that the ATs have?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Basically I set the flash tune up the way we want for power, ignoring the effects of AT shifting. So this particular map would flat line like a $#@! I'm sure.
    Burger Motorsports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast