Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

When you cut out the e90 resonator and replaced it with individual pipes, that is one of the main reasons why the tone changed and it droned/rasped more. That crossover/xpipe merges both banks of cylinders and gives the motor its smooth sound.

I see VSRF pretty much copied the AMS exhaust, complete with its fitment issues lol. We ditched the xbrace/support brace underneath as well cuse there was no way it was going back on....and we managed to smash the vband multiple times anyway lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thats a nice exhaust. I am strongly leaning towards this setup. Thanks for the write up!!
    07 335i FFTEC 600 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

the VRSF sounds so smooth. the Vbrace issue especially since I have an e92 really bothers me. I wish it had SOME cracks and pops, its just such a smooth rev. (the ricerboy inside of me likes little bits of backfire) lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

After driving around some more, I can say it is a lot louder than OEM, but it's deceiving because its such a fantastic exhaust note that you almost want it to never end lol.

@straightcashhomie, there is still the pop/gurgle when you go down a hill or decelerate, it's just a bit muffled. Sounds great IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I wantttt... Click here to enlarge lol. Glad ur loving it
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Zasquatch Click here to enlarge
    After driving around some more, I can say it is a lot louder than OEM, but it's deceiving because its such a fantastic exhaust note that you almost want it to never end lol.

@straightcashhomie, there is still the pop/gurgle when you go down a hill or decelerate, it's just a bit muffled. Sounds great IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

very nice! side question.... the e90 stock exhaust, specifically the section you replaced.... there are only resonators and the mufflers, right? I always thought the ONLY cats were in the downpipes. Is that right?
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

A noob exhaust question...

Will an aftermarket exhaust cause any problems for me during smog check?
    Keep in mind, I live in Cali, where there are some of the strictest smog laws. I intend to keep my cats, as it will be impossible to pass smog testing without them...
    2010 335i Coupe- Monaco Blue Metallic

CF performance spoiler // VMR V701 18x8.5 (front) 18x9.5 (rear)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

I thought Cali tests were going OBD-II detection now?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

They're supposed to since Jan 2013, but I know a few places that are still doing sniffer.

When they do OBD tests, what exactly are they looking for? Any fault codes or specific codes or readings?
    2010 335i Coupe- Monaco Blue Metallic

CF performance spoiler // VMR V701 18x8.5 (front) 18x9.5 (rear)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

I'm not sure what they specifically look for.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW Click here to enlarge
    very nice! side question.... the e90 stock exhaust, specifically the section you replaced.... there are only resonators and the mufflers, right? I always thought the ONLY cats were in the downpipes. Is that right?
    Negative- the e90 N54 exhaust has two secondary cats, a resonator, a bunch of ugly crushed sections, and the two mufflers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 1chanc3 Click here to enlarge
    They're supposed to since Jan 2013, but I know a few places that are still doing sniffer.

When they do OBD tests, what exactly are they looking for? Any fault codes or specific codes or readings?
    Not sure about Cali, but in CT they only do sniffer if your car is old. All newer cars get OBD-II testing + a "visual inspection" that doesn't mean $#@!. If you are fully catless, hook up an O2 sim and you are good to go. I passed with flying colors last year Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    In Alabama we just recently started requiring proof of insurance when renewing your tags. Other than that if you have 1 brake light and 1 head light you are good to go lol.
    07 335i FFTEC 600 Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Not sure about Cali, but in CT they only do sniffer if your car is old. All newer cars get OBD-II testing + a "visual inspection" that doesn't mean $#@!. If you are fully catless, hook up an O2 sim and you are good to go. I passed with flying colors last year Click here to enlarge
    Derail, good to know on CT emissions. Mine is due and didn't want to swap DPs for the visual check.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I wonder if it would be possible to make an oval section w/same cross section area to fit above the V brace in its proper position? I like the exhaust don't like losing the brace or the ghetto washer thing. Also have an XI but I understand it can be made to fit Xi's as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When you were installing the exhaust did you use an install guide?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fittyfitz Click here to enlarge
    When you were installing the exhaust did you use an install guide?
    Nope, just removed the massive and absurdly heavy OEM exhaust then worked my way front to back. A single pipe with V-bands is infinitely easier to maneuver and install than duals with flanges/gaskets Click here to enlarge It wasn't that bad on ramps/jackstands.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

UPDATE:

Still working with @Tiago@VRSF to try to straighten this out, but so far the "hassle free gaurantee" has been more of a gauranteed hassle. My muffler won't sit straight and the tips are offset, see below

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Tiago's first thought was that their was misalignment. So I was instructed to adjust the rear pipe up as far as it will go, basically hitting the subframe, and when everything it tightened there will be a little clearance. I physically couldn't do it because my hanger appears to be installed in the wrong place (note that it should be horizontal in this pic):

Click here to enlarge

Which results in an impossible alignment back at the muffler:

Click here to enlarge

Backing up a second, to prove that the muffler exits are bent incorrectly, here are a few shots of the muffler completely unattached in the front, allowing it to swing on the rear hangers. You can clearly see that only one tip at a time can be centered:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

So I've been trying to get him to send me new section 3 and 4 pieces (flex and muffler) and I'll send back the faulty ones. He won't. He said he can either give me a full refund OR I can drive 3 hours to them, have them look at it, try a replacement, and if nothing works, send me on my way. Why these make more sense than sending me a replacement is beyond me.

His initial suggestion was to bring the car to a local shop and have them modify it to fit. He would cover the cost. I explained that I appreciated the offer, and may take him up on it, but I purchased a beautifully built BOLT ON exhaust for a reason..... And why would I allow a shop to cut it up and put ugly welds on it?

We'll see if I hear back today, but my plan is to test fit without the hanger and see if everything lines up. Then If I can get the muffler straight, have the tips adjusted to be centered.

Oh the drama!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

@Sticky, please edit post 68 to read:

UPDATE:

Anyone have the issues I'm having?

I'm still working with @Tiago@VRSF to try to straighten this out. My muffler won't sit straight and the tips are offset, see below:

Attachment 32998

Attachment 32999

Attachment 33000

Tiago's first thought was that their was misalignment. So I was instructed to adjust the rear pipe up as far as it will go, basically hitting the subframe, and when everything it tightened there will be a little clearance. I physically couldn't do it because my hanger appears to be installed in the wrong place (note that it should be horizontal in this pic):

Attachment 33001

Which results in an impossible alignment back at the muffler:

Attachment 33002

Backing up a second, to prove that the muffler exits are bent incorrectly, here are a few shots of the muffler completely unattached in the front, allowing it to swing on the rear hangers. You can clearly see that only one tip at a time can be centered:

Attachment 33003

Attachment 33004

So I've been trying to get him to send me new section 3 and 4 pieces (flex and muffler) and I'll send back the faulty ones. He won't because he cannot gaurantee that is the problem and may be more of a headache than anything else. He offered a full refund, but I love this exaust for every other reason besides this fit issue and don't want to give it up. I could also drive 3 hours round trip to them since I am not too far, have them look at it, try a replacement, and if nothing works, be back to square 1.

His initial suggestion was to bring the car to a local shop and have them modify it to fit. He would cover the cost. I explained that I appreciated the offer, and may take him up on it, but I purchased a beautifully built BOLT ON exhaust for a reason..... And why would I allow a shop to cut it up and put ugly welds on it?

We'll see if I hear back today, but my plan is to test fit without the hanger and see if everything lines up better. Then If I can get the muffler straight, have the tips adjusted to be centered.

Oh the drama!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Did you ever get this figured out? Thats about how mine look.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

I Installed one and had the same issues on @TurboSid's car. The hangers weren't aligned properly making the muffler sag to one side. I'm not sure if he ever contacted vrsf about it though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    @Sticky, can you please replace post 68 with post 69 like we had discussed?

Tiago has confirmed the fit issue... This came after giving me a vary hard time for posting on e90post, demanding I send back the exhaust for a refund (I refused to do this), accusing me of extortion, and otherwise providing a very aggressive attitude - all because I posted the issues I was having on a public forum. Completely innappropriate actions to take with a happy customer. Once other people started posting that they had the same issue his tone changed a bit and announced they will be working on a fix. I have been refraining from posting any details so I don't piss him off more and deny me the updated parts when available.

Last I heard, he is contacting his fabricator in PA and they are making new midpipes. Once these are complete - which may take several months - he plans on swapping them out to those that would like the updated pipes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

@Sticky, can you please replace post 68 with post 69 like we had discussed?

Tiago has confirmed the fit issue... This came after giving me a vary hard time for posting on e90post, demanding I send back the exhaust for a refund (I refused to do this), accusing me of extortion, and otherwise providing a very aggressive attitude - all because I posted the issues I was having on a public forum. Completely innappropriate actions to take with a happy customer. Once other people started posting that they had the same issue his tone changed a bit and announced they will be working on a fix. I have been refraining from posting any details so I don't piss him off more and deny me the updated parts when available.

Last I heard, he is contacting his fabricator in PA and they are making new midpipes. Once these are complete - which may take several months - he plans on swapping them out to those that would like the updated pipes.
    I would but the issue is you linked to the attachments so they will not display for others than yourself which means I would have to manually save, upload, and insert them which is a bit too time consuming for me at the moment.

I will gladly do it for you when I have more time (as in Monday) but you can also just do the exact same posts with linked images instead of linked attachments and it I can just copy/paste it right in.

Hope that makes sense @Zasquatch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Monday's fine. I don't like posting as links b/c I can't see them on my work computer... But whatever works is fine. The only reason I edited it was to reduce the exaggeration I included when typing pissed off. LOL. I guess leaving both doesn't really hurt
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I would but the issue is you linked to the attachments so they will not display for others than yourself which means I would have to manually save, upload, and insert them which is a bit too time consuming for me at the moment.

I will gladly do it for you when I have more time (as in Monday) but you can also just do the exact same posts with linked images instead of linked attachments and it I can just copy/paste it right in.

Hope that makes sense @Zasquatch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How much for this exhaust?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast