Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Zasquatch's VRSF Exhaust Review

After monkeying with my OEM exhaust for about a year or two, I finally pulled the trigger on a VRSF exhaust after reading and watching youtube videos.

I have been turned off by some systems in the past so finding the "perfect" exhaust seemed doubtful.

Two years ago I bought a BillyBoat race exhaust off a forum after being told it was drone free and had high hopes. I installed it and soon discovered that this thing was LOUD..... and not only was it rediculously loud, but it droned like crazy. It was so bad that you couldn't even hear the radio or your passenger yelling at you when you were cruising! I tore it off the day after I installed it and went back to stock.

Needing more sound in my life, I decided to start making a frankenstein system. The first step was to remove the e90 resonator, replace with straight pipes, and add some nice Cyba brushed stainless tips. The results were ok. Better than the golf tee and certainly louder, but now I introduced some rasp and drone into the mix. Nothing crazy, but def there and not a great tone.

Fast forwarding to a month ago, I had the secondaries removed and replaced with Vibrant bottle resonators. The result was ok. It was actually quieter cruising, but a lot louder WOT. Again the same tone though. Just not pretty. Not refined. Not german. Didn't scream performance. Just noise.

Enter VRSF. I did some research on numerous exhausts and they were either way overpriced or too loud or too raspy or some combination of it all. Once I stumbled upon some videos of the VRSF exhaust I knew I had to try it. It seemed tame when you want it to be, and beastly on WOT. The concept of a huge single primary was also to my liking. If you have never seen 3.5" exhaust piping, like I hadn't, you are going to be shocked when you see it in person. It is enormous.

Being relatively close to VSRF, my order shipped on a Monday and arrived on a Tuesday. Not bad for free shipping. The box was a little damaged, with a few pipes bursting through. No damage though, and everything seems to be in good shape. The build quality and welds are absolutely amazing. You can't help but stare at it. Especially when it's laid out on your garage floor like a stainless steel python Click here to enlarge

I plan on installing it on Saturday. I will post updates at that point with how the install went and overall impressions. Stay tuned!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From what I've read they had two revisions of this exhaust, because the first was too quiet for some people. From my understanding the louder version still isn't loud by most people's standards. I assume this is the most recent, louder version. Can you confirm that?

Looking forward to some installation pictures and first impressions.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    From what I've read they had two revisions of this exhaust, because the first was too quiet for some people. From my understanding the louder version still isn't loud by most people's standards. I assume this is the most recent, louder version. Can you confirm that?

Looking forward to some installation pictures and first impressions.
    Yes, it's the latest and greatest version.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm I assume they changed the end muffler guts to make it louder? Does anyone know if the 'quiet' version can still be purchased?

Would everyone agree this is the quietest exhaust available that nets the most HP? Because that is exactly what I am going for.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats a good looking system ..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OP any clue on what the weight savings is between OEM and VRSF exhaust?
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
    OP any clue on what the weight savings is between OEM and VRSF exhaust?
    42lbs off the stock oem exhaust.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    42lbs off the stock oem exhaust.
    Damn, thats some serious weight savings!
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OP is it going on an e92 or e90? If e92 I'm interested to see if you can fit the rear brace as I can't see a way to refit it on mine without 3/4" worth of spacers/washers:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7362/9...d20a9b3c_b.jpg

Not my pic!
    Last edited by idnan; 08-28-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Hmm I assume they changed the end muffler guts to make it louder? Does anyone know if the 'quiet' version can still be purchased?

Would everyone agree this is the quietest exhaust available that nets the most HP? Because that is exactly what I am going for.
    Not sure on V1 availability but from the videos I've seen, this is perfect if you don't want something that will be obnoxiously loud. We shall see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    OP is it going on an e92 or e90? If e92 I'm interested to see if you can fit the rear brace as I can't see a way to refit it on mine without 3/4" worth of spacers/washers:

Not my pic!
    Mine is going on an e90... .so I may just omit the brace for now. I will try to fit it with some spacers eventually tho.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would prefer to make my own version of something like this:

http://www.screwmaster.co.uk/flat-st...-bzp-226-p.asp

By taking a piece of metal the correct thickness and drilling my own holes. Maybe even welding it to the brace.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would prefer to make my own version of something like this:

http://www.screwmaster.co.uk/flat-st...-bzp-226-p.asp

By taking a piece of metal the correct thickness and drilling my own holes. Maybe even welding it to the brace.
    Something custom would be best, but the spacers would be better than the washers. There must be almost 200 washers there.

I would think using bar for the spacer would be unnecessary. Also stacking multiple pieces together to achieve the necessary thickness is understandable. You might want to try some .120" wall rectangular tube; maybe 1"x1.5", but that is a guess from looking at the pictures. You'd want to take measurements to confirm. Having one continuous piece on each side running the entire mounting length capturing all four holes will be so much stronger than using longer bolts with threaded spacers.

Just be careful how low it hangs. That spot is far enough forward of the rear tires it could easily get hung up on things.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Not my pic!
    Holy $#@!balls. So much for the weight savings. That's gotta be forty-two pounds of washers right there...

Can't you just notch the brace or cut the center section out and have another piece welded underneath to allow clearance? What a bull$#@! product if that's how it's supposed to work...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boom Click here to enlarge
    Holy $#@!balls. So much for the weight savings. That's gotta be forty-two pounds of washers right there...

Can't you just notch the brace or cut the center section out and have another piece welded underneath to allow clearance? What a bull$#@! product if that's how it's supposed to work...
    I am already over the disappointment of not using the brace anymore... although I have read the e90 version is pretty useless anyway. The shop that welded in my resonators on my OEM setup failed to test fit the brace before they finished the job, and sent me on my way with 1.5" of spacers only on the 4 corners. I was pissed...

If I can get away with 1/2" of spacers and get all 8 bolts back in then I'll be happy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Something custom would be best, but the spacers would be better than the washers. There must be almost 200 washers there.

I would think using bar for the spacer would be unnecessary. Also stacking multiple pieces together to achieve the necessary thickness is understandable. You might want to try some .120" wall rectangular tube; maybe 1"x1.5", but that is a guess from looking at the pictures. You'd want to take measurements to confirm. Having one continuous piece on each side running the entire mounting length capturing all four holes will be so much stronger than using longer bolts with threaded spacers.

Just be careful how low it hangs. That spot is far enough forward of the rear tires it could easily get hung up on things.
    Should read undesirable.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by boom Click here to enlarge

This. At best I'd consider that... non ideal. I'm not into "that part wasn't really important anyway... just delete it" mentality. Unless it's catalytic converters anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I love threads with lots of pictures....

The whole system (minus tips) in one shot:

Click here to enlarge

In case exhaust shots weren't good enough.... Exhaust + Puppy:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL, GSA filing cabinet? Meth lab in the corner? What other interesting things can we find in this picture?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I want this exhaust but I don't want to lose the brace on my e90. What solutions does Tiago have in mind?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    LOL, GSA filing cabinet? Meth lab in the corner? What other interesting things can we find in this picture?
    LOL keep looking there's more!

my garage is a mess... Just moved in two months ago Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeenon53 Click here to enlarge
    I want this exhaust but I don't want to lose the brace on my e90. What solutions does Tiago have in mind?
    Let me see just how bad it is first and we can go from there. One of the pics in a thread on e90post looks like the shop didn't use the included shorter diff hanger, so that could have something to do with "fitament issues". @Tiago@VRSF feel free to chime in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can tell you guys that I notice nothing with the brace off. With the E90's there is no v section of the brace so I don't think it effects us as much as the E92 guys. For what it's worth though one of the E92 guys takes his car on the track all the time and has this exhaust. I've never heard any complaints about the brace missing from him... Here's a vid for those of you curious of how it sounds. Zasquatch make sure to post up a vid once you get yours installed!

Click here to enlarge < Click picture for photoshoot
    E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
    Mods: JB4 + MHD, Doc Race ST, Pure 6266, AD-Eng PI/Mounts, Fuel-It st. 3, Custom Exhaust, Tuned by TwistedTuning
    More Pictures: Build Thread /// Dyno Soon to Come

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To me it is remarkable how good that exhaust sounds. It might not fit with the stock brace, but it is an aftermarket part and given it's price, a little bit of customization is perfectly fine with me.
    Eppur si muove.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast