Close

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    I stand corrected. Still retarded to put a twin scroll flange on imo without being able to actually do it correctly with cylinder firing order.
    From the pics I see, looks like its routed correctly to me.
    1-5-3-6-2-4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

I wonder how much they are charging for them?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Not sure what manifold you're looking at. OP's mani is not twin scroll, doc race initial mani is not twin scroll, but the doc revision is twin scroll. Look at it again. It is 1-2-3 and 4-5-6. Definitely not a proper twinscroll.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    From the pics I see, looks like its routed correctly to me.
    1-5-3-6-2-4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Looks good!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Not sure what manifold you're looking at. OP's mani is not twin scroll, doc race initial mani is not twin scroll, but the doc revision is twin scroll. Look at it again. It is 1-2-3 and 4-5-6. Definitely not a proper twinscroll.
    Sered listed the firing order. So for a twin scroll manifold, having 123 for one turbine and 456 for another would be proper routing because no single turbine will get two successive exhaust pulses. They will alternate from one turbine to the other based on the firing order given by Sered.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Sered listed the firing order. So for a twin scroll manifold, having 123 for one turbine and 456 for another would be proper routing because no single turbine will get two successive exhaust pulses. They will alternate from one turbine to the other based on the firing order given by Sered.
    I stand corrected then. Good call.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

I was being silly. see my comments above. I'm one of the biggest advocates for selling a turbo mani only. I was just saying if you want anything doc race for the n54 right now, VTT ST3 is the only thing they're making.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    No, that is called a turbo kit rather than an exhaust manifold for ST. The manifoldS for the kit are very different from the ST manifold. The only common factor is the fabricator. The twin manis look similar to stock manis. Short simple runners. The link to the ST mani is in my previous post.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Wow, I had no idea that Doc Race made an N54 manifold. The revision looks well thought out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    They did. Have a look at this post:
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...704#post349704
    thing looks baller! wonder if they'll ever sell it.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    thing looks baller! wonder if they'll ever sell it.
    According to Shiv and/or FFTEC it doesn't fit very well. They scrapped it from Eric's car due to fitment issues and installed their own (just going by what I read in Eric's thread).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    According to Shiv and/or FFTEC it doesn't fit very well. They scrapped it from Eric's car due to fitment issues and installed their own (just going by what I read in Eric's thread).
    it's top mount though?

maybe the fitment issues were with the turbo itself? relocating the coolant res and crap..?

shiv's one is mounted next to the block in this weird cramped mess is it not?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

it's top mount though?

maybe the fitment issues were with the turbo itself? relocating the coolant res and crap..?

shiv's one is mounted next to the block in this weird cramped mess is it not?
    The Doc Race built manifold was bottom mount (built for HPF). It looked similar to the FFTEC manifold, but was twin-scroll. I beileve they said the tubes were too close to the valve cover, but they never posted pictures of it installed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

They should perfect it and sell it though...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

The Doc Race built manifold was bottom mount (built for HPF). It looked similar to the FFTEC manifold, but was twin-scroll. I beileve they said the tubes were too close to the valve cover, but they never posted pictures of it installed.
    oh it faces down? yeah facing down, those runners would get REALLY close i reckon...

i was imagining it the other way, with the outlet ending up behind ish the head light ...

which is WAY MORE LOGICAL Click here to enlarge

no top mount no care.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

They should perfect it and sell it though...
    they should scrap it and make a top mount mani... now that we have the ability to fit a turbo up there.

get the RHD market in the game Click here to enlarge
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

they should scrap it and make a top mount mani... now that we have the ability to fit a turbo up there.

get the RHD market in the game Click here to enlarge
    why should they scrap the bottom mount if it fits. The bottom mount has more room for unrestricted intake routing. More options, more better. As for fftec's manifold, it is not a mess at all. It's quite beautiful actually. I have one sitting at home right now. Once I get around to installing and fine tuning, I'll put a thread together for it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Yup, I posted the firing order because I6 motors only have one (that I know of) and since it's balanced it makes it easy to make a twinscroll out of it Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

why should they scrap the bottom mount if it fits. The bottom mount has more room for unrestricted intake routing. More options, more better. As for fftec's manifold, it is not a mess at all. It's quite beautiful actually. I have one sitting at home right now. Once I get around to installing and fine tuning, I'll put a thread together for it.
    Agreed with this. But I do want the RHD people to get some love too, plus a top-mount just looks awesome. They should begin working on a top-mount Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

I would buy a manifold in a heartbeat at bigdnno stated. I can put a single turbo kit together, that's not too hard to customize.The TT kit is the hard one and that way I'd just buy the whole Vargas stage3 kit.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

how is there more room for intake routing?

in a top mount, you can just either run a filter straight off the turbo, or path a short tube to above the intake manifold?.. you have more room to fit larger turbos (and again, fits RHD)

yeah more options is always better, but there's a much much larger market for the top mount manifold? there's a lot more advantages in running that i'd think?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

how is there more room for intake routing?

in a top mount, you can just either run a filter straight off the turbo, or path a short tube to above the intake manifold?.. you have more room to fit larger turbos (and again, fits RHD)

yeah more options is always better, but there's a much much larger market for the top mount manifold? there's a lot more advantages in running that i'd think?
    you clearly haven't looked closely at the top mount turbos. From the ones I have seen for the n54, you either have to run a sharp 90* elbow off the turbo inlet or run without a filter. With the lower mounted turbo, you have a little more distance before you have to make that bend. Therefore you have more room. Make sense? On under mounted, you can also run a larger radiused bend because of the extra room.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Perhaps, but you also have a longer intake tract making for greater lag.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I took careful consideration to make sure I could fit a decent filter on my top-mount. Although I built a 3" intake that positions a large filter over the intake manifold, I also have a filter that goes directly on the turbo for "race mode" (guess which I use more LOL). I believe it's the same filter used on the FFTEC kits and should provide plenty of flow. Here are the specs:

http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mPro...?&prod=ru-2510

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge
    Perhaps, but you also have a longer intake tract making for greater lag.

Neil
    the runners should also be a little shorter. So, there's less lag. It's probably sixes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

you clearly haven't looked closely at the top mount turbos. From the ones I have seen for the n54, you either have to run a sharp 90* elbow off the turbo inlet or run without a filter. With the lower mounted turbo, you have a little more distance before you have to make that bend. Therefore you have more room. Make sense? On under mounted, you can also run a larger radiused bend because of the extra room.

fair enough

but you still can't fit as large a turbo, and RHD guys don't have a choice.

and your exhaust manifold is much more cramped. lots less space to work with.
    boop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast