Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

7 out of 7 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

My Custom Single PT6466 Build Thread

Well,

I thought I would start my own custom single turbo build thread. The car(e90 335i) will be going into the shop soon to start the process..

When I first start doing research I had quite a few questions I had for my self that I went out and found the answers to share with you guys:

• What turbo should I go with?

This was my first issue I needed to over come, I originally wanted todo a custom twin setup - such as GT2832rs but my fabricator said it would be a lot more costly to go that route and a pain in the ass and suggested a single setup.

From there I was concerned about boost lag, I am so use to the powerband of the current OEM twins. So I did some research and found the following turbos:

• Garret GTX3582r
    • Comp CT4 6465 Billet
    • PT6466

While looking trough all these options I found that the best bang for buck would be the PT6466 for the power goals I want to go with. Problem with this turbo is that it is the most lagy out of the three. But at the end of the day I decided to purchase this option. I purchased the Vband inlet and outlet housings to make a simple install and remove process.

• Do I run an external or internal wastegate?

I was concerned about which wastegate to run, due to the fact that our OEM system is an internally wastegated setup. I dug around and sent some emails to Terry and found out that an external wastegate is not an issue and to go that route.

• Upgrade the boost solenoid?

This option here is still up in the air, I was concerned about running the OEM boost solenoid due to the fact that they some times fail in open state to cause over boost. So I decided to shell out and purchase a MAC boost solenoid I got from ebay for less then $40 shipped. This here will be a trial and error process and won't know more till I get to that point in the process.

• Upgrading the BAR Map Sensor?

Since the OEM Bar Map sensor is only a 2.0 bar, and I plan on running more then 20 PSI on this single turbo, I had to find a suitable Bar map sensor. Luckly
    BMS offers a plug and play harness for the N20 3.5 bar map sensor. I purchased the map sensor from ECS Tunning and ordered the harness from BMS.

• O2 Sensor Placement pre-turbo?

So with going single I have learned that you have to place the O2 sensors before the turbo, when typically you would do post placement. The reason for this is that our OEM ECU reads two separate banks, 1-3 and 4-6 for A/F ratios. If you put the O2 sensors post turbo with a single turbo it mixes the gases and throws off the A/F ratios which will cause a tuning night mare.

• What fueling am I going to run?

Well since I have an upgrade LPFP with the Walbro Intake option, I will be running a big e85 mix of atleast 70/30 and move up from there if the system can take it. I want to see what I can do with just e85 around. Hoping to reach 25-26 PSI on E85 alone, but at this point its all hopes and dreams.

• What tuning platform?

Well with the new option of open flashing, I will be running the JB4 G5 with the open flash to tune this project. This is where I will see needing the most help from Terry, I will be making a new thread on this alone about this topic.

Those are the questions of what I could think of now, I am sure during this process I will have more, and have more answers to share with you guys.

The parts I have purchased so far are

1. Exhuast head flange from RB Turbo
    2. Tial MVR Wastegate
    3. 3.5 Bar N20 Map Sensor
    4. Plug and play harness for bar map sensor from BMS
    5. PT6466 Turbo with Vband housings
    6. MAC Boost Solenoid

Right now I am also currently sourcing up the raw materials for the manifold and etc.

We will be designing a top mount manifold for this turbo, which leads me to ask some questions maybe you guys can help me answer.

Air filter placement, Where do you think the best option is to place the air filter?

What do you think the best placement is for the o2 sensors with out burning them out?

I will update this thread as I go, the car should be going under the knife this weekend if I get all my parts in time.

Please if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to share.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Sub'd would have liked to see that gtx. Still an awesome project. Another guy on here hasba 6466 on n54
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting Click here to enlarge
    2010 E90 335i xDrive
    JB4 G5 ISO | BMS DCI | BMS OCC | Alpina Flash | LED Angel Eyes | Matte Black Kidney Grills | growing list....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    check > http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...m-thread/page5

for O2 sensor troubleshooting... i'm still thinking a hardware setup fix for it is the way to go

and consensus was that OEM solenoids are WAY better than anything aftermarket, really fancy stuff.. and they can handle an external gate anyway.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

ur car 6AT or manual?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

What are your power goals?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

FP HTA3586 should have been strongly considered.

Good luck. Can't wait to see some numbers!
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    ur car 6AT or manual?
    It is a manual, Rocking the clutch masters FX400 clutch.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    What are your power goals?
    My power goals is 6-700 wheel, I would really like to break over 700 with just e85 alone.. but I will be happy with 6-700

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by aflatau Click here to enlarge
    Well,

I thought I would start my own custom single turbo build thread. The car(e90 335i) will be going into the shop soon to start the process..

When I first start doing research I had quite a few questions I had for my self that I went out and found the answers to share with you guys:

• What turbo should I go with?

This was my first issue I needed to over come, I originally wanted todo a custom twin setup - such as GT2832rs but my fabricator said it would be a lot more costly to go that route and a pain in the ass and suggested a single setup.

From there I was concerned about boost lag, I am so use to the powerband of the current OEM twins. So I did some research and found the following turbos:

• Garret GTX3582r
    • Comp CT4 6465 Billet
    • PT6466

While looking trough all these options I found that the best bang for buck would be the PT6466 for the power goals I want to go with. Problem with this turbo is that it is the most lagy out of the three. But at the end of the day I decided to purchase this option. I purchased the Vband inlet and outlet housings to make a simple install and remove process.

• Do I run an external or internal wastegate?

I was concerned about which wastegate to run, due to the fact that our OEM system is an internally wastegated setup. I dug around and sent some emails to Terry and found out that an external wastegate is not an issue and to go that route.

• Upgrade the boost solenoid?

This option here is still up in the air, I was concerned about running the OEM boost solenoid due to the fact that they some times fail in open state to cause over boost. So I decided to shell out and purchase a MAC boost solenoid I got from ebay for less then $40 shipped. This here will be a trial and error process and won't know more till I get to that point in the process.

• Upgrading the BAR Map Sensor?

Since the OEM Bar Map sensor is only a 2.0 bar, and I plan on running more then 20 PSI on this single turbo, I had to find a suitable Bar map sensor. Luckly
    BMS offers a plug and play harness for the N20 3.5 bar map sensor. I purchased the map sensor from ECS Tunning and ordered the harness from BMS.

• O2 Sensor Placement pre-turbo?

So with going single I have learned that you have to place the O2 sensors before the turbo, when typically you would do post placement. The reason for this is that our OEM ECU reads two separate banks, 1-3 and 4-6 for A/F ratios. If you put the O2 sensors post turbo with a single turbo it mixes the gases and throws off the A/F ratios which will cause a tuning night mare.

• What fueling am I going to run?

Well since I have an upgrade LPFP with the Walbro Intake option, I will be running a big e85 mix of atleast 70/30 and move up from there if the system can take it. I want to see what I can do with just e85 around. Hoping to reach 25-26 PSI on E85 alone, but at this point its all hopes and dreams.

• What tuning platform?

Well with the new option of open flashing, I will be running the JB4 G5 with the open flash to tune this project. This is where I will see needing the most help from Terry, I will be making a new thread on this alone about this topic.

Those are the questions of what I could think of now, I am sure during this process I will have more, and have more answers to share with you guys.

The parts I have purchased so far are

1. Exhuast head flange from RB Turbo
    2. Tial MVR Wastegate
    3. 3.5 Bar N20 Map Sensor
    4. Plug and play harness for bar map sensor from BMS
    5. PT6466 Turbo with Vband housings
    6. MAC Boost Solenoid

Right now I am also currently sourcing up the raw materials for the manifold and etc.

We will be designing a top mount manifold for this turbo, which leads me to ask some questions maybe you guys can help me answer.

Air filter placement, Where do you think the best option is to place the air filter?

What do you think the best placement is for the o2 sensors with out burning them out?

I will update this thread as I go, the car should be going under the knife this weekend if I get all my parts in time.

Please if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to share.

Congrats!!, youre gonna have a blast. Check out my thread(sorry i know its long) it covers everything you are going to do and then some. If you have any questions shoot me a PM.
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Small update today I received the 3.5 bar map harness from BMS.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

FedEx was a little nicer today:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

It's like Christmas! Good luck with the build and definitely shoot some pics of the manifold build process.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Today I received;

- Wastegate | Tial MVR 44m
    - Head Exhaust Flange from RB Turbo
    - Boost Solenoid
    - Bar Map sensor

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

What shop is doing this for you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

...And I see your Legos have arrived. Now you can get started on the manifold Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BoostAddict Click here to enlarge
    What shop is doing this for you?
    A local tuner of mine, he's name is John Donavan.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    ...And I see your Legos have arrived. Now you can get started on the manifold Click here to enlarge

hhaha yesss.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Much respect to the guys doing their own own custom single turbo builds. Seems we are seeing more and more of those, awesome.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Alright, the car is now in the hands of the shop who is doing my single turbo install. The oem turbos are now off and the fabrication process has begun. Here is a pic of an OEM turbo vs the PT6466

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Alright, the car is now in the hands of the shop who is doing my single turbo install. The oem turbos are now off and the fabrication process has begun. Here is a pic of an OEM turbo vs the PT6466

http://www.benzboost.com/images/impo...378627_n-1.jpg
    I love these types of pictures. It ALWAYS puts it into perspective, 900 hp turbo vs 250 hp turbo.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

That is badass! Good luck with the build!
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

That puts things in perspective just a bit...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

love it! now lè fun starts !
    - Proven Power Tampa built 6466 ST -
    - N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq-
    -N54 WR 1/4mile trap: 133.57mph- -

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Good luck buddy! Should be a fun project Click here to enlarge

Rep Points