Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

PTF Remote Dyno Tune 370hp/437tq

I wanted to put together a few words about my recent experience and results with Jake/proTuning Freaks remote dyno tune.

Originally, Jake and I had been working over the past several months using the e-tune process. During this time, I had a few hardware issues that took longer than expected to resolve. Additionally, we've had a rainy summer in NC that made it difficult to get WOT runs for log purposes. Needless to say, I was ready to finalize the tune and enjoy every bit of power I could get out of it and approached Jake about remote dyno tuning. Jake was super flexible in scheduling and more than excited to get started. I was currently on the 3rd revised map from Jake, so I was really hoping to just polish things up a bit. Honestly, I wasn't expecting a huge increase in power but really wanted a more hands on/results driven session to ensure the car is running well, and most importantly, as healthy as can be with solid useable power. The car had been running great and with each map revision could def tell the difference with response/power and wanted to have real numbers to support the way I think the car was running. I was pleasantly surprised with the results and couldn't be happier!

To level set, this was on a Mustang MD 1100 dyno. Car is FBO, stock turbos using 93 octane. No meth, no e85. I do not know what other n54s have done on this dyno as the shop is primarily a chevy/nissan shop. It was 88 degrees, with about 70% humidity. The shop felt hotter than this. We did 4-5 map revisions and I think the results speak for themselves.

The solid line is the Cobb AP stock tune and the dotted line is the final PTF tune. Peak of 370hp/437tq. At this point, Jake was happy to see the results and corresponding logs so we decided to end it there.

So here's my final thoughts...I realize these are exciting times for the n54, especially on the tuning side of things and I look forward to more progress. The one thing I quickly learned, due to occupation and other responsibilities, is that I did not want to become an n54 tuning expert. More power to all of you that are, I'm envious. What I did want is to feel confident about the health of my car and know that expert support was willing and convenient. I found this with pro Tuning Freaks and Jake. In the absence of value, price wins.
    Finally, I truly believe in dyno tuning, whether in person or remotely, it is the way to go. It is worth every penny. I believe there was a thread started about street versus dyno tuning recently. I know where my vote is!Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

PTF Pro Tuned l BMS DCI l DP l ETS 5" Intercooler
    HAT L4SE Carbon l HAT L1V2 l Jehnert XE200 l Arc Audio Arc 12 l Arc Minis l Audison bit Ten

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Jake's the man!
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you get any numbers on OTS Cobb stage 2+ map? If not how does this tune feel compared to that (or earlier remote e-tunes?).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IMO those are great numbers for the minimal mods that you have. Goes to show what a quality tune is worth. Enjoy!
    2010 E90 335i xDrive
    JB4 G5 ISO | BMS DCI | BMS OCC | Alpina Flash | LED Angel Eyes | Matte Black Kidney Grills | growing list....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @ajsalida...wish I did. Jake really wanted to as well. I was on the dyno for a couple of hours and had a guy behind me waiting to get on. Was only able to run the stock tune for comparison. In terms of feel, it is pretty close to night and day. The throttle response feels better/quicker, the overall driveability is greatly improved. The car's power also feels more predictable now and more available in any gear. It really drives like a different car now. Like I said, wasn't expecting much of an increase in power but Jake found another ~40tq from the e-tune map I was already running. Not saying that if i continued with the e-tune the final results would have been different but good to see results within minutes on the dyno.
    Click here to enlarge

HAT L4SE Carbon l HAT L1V2 l Jehnert XE200 l Arc Audio Arc 12 l Arc Minis l Audison bit Ten

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You said Cobb AP stock tune, did you mean stage 0?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by themyst Click here to enlarge
    You said Cobb AP stock tune, did you mean stage 0?
    I stand corrected...stage 0...thanks for the clarification.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hi. Nice. What's partial throttle like through the gears? Personally I think I'd have flattened the torque a little, even if a little lower. is that even possible?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cadillacgrills Click here to enlarge
    @ajsalida...wish I did. Jake really wanted to as well. I was on the dyno for a couple of hours and had a guy behind me waiting to get on. Was only able to run the stock tune for comparison. In terms of feel, it is pretty close to night and day. The throttle response feels better/quicker, the overall driveability is greatly improved. The car's power also feels more predictable now and more available in any gear. It really drives like a different car now. Like I said, wasn't expecting much of an increase in power but Jake found another ~40tq from the e-tune map I was already running. Not saying that if i continued with the e-tune the final results would have been different but good to see results within minutes on the dyno.
    Nice. So how do you figure you got another 40 TQ over the e-tune? I guess that was down low rpm's? I'm considering an e-tune but if it is not even close to optimal I won't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crypticc Click here to enlarge
    Hi. Nice. What's partial throttle like through the gears? Personally I think I'd have flattened the torque a little, even if a little lower. is that even possible?
    Jake made my ProTune somewhere in the middle of the stock and linear throttle map. It's very smooth at part throttle.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    Nice. So how do you figure you got another 40 TQ over the e-tune? I guess that was down low rpm's? I'm considering an e-tune but if it is not even close to optimal I won't.
    dyno showed the increase in tq
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by crypticc Click here to enlarge
    I'll echo Jstang, sort of a mix of stock and linear, as I mentioned, it's just more predictable now and not as jumpy. PTF will tune it to your liking
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    dyno showed the increase in tq
    Sorry to be such a pest but do you have that plot?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry to be such a pest but do you have that plot?
    Wish i did now!! it was early on during the tuning process after the first map revision, i wasn't concerned with the plots along the way as much i was the end result.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wish i did now!! it was early on during the tuning process after the first map revision, i wasn't concerned with the plots along the way as much i was the end result.
    OK no problem. I have to think about what tune/mod solution I want to move to next. I live at high altitude, so there is no 93 octane available. Boost is capped at some level so no way OTS air mass targets are getting hit @ stage 2+ sport. So I either need to go meth and/or go pro-tune to try to maximize what I can get at this altitude.

no e85 either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OK no problem. I have to think about what tune/mod solution I want to move to next. I live at high altitude, so there is no 93 octane available. Boost is capped at some level so no way OTS air mass targets are getting hit @ stage 2+ sport. So I either need to go meth and/or go pro-tune to try to maximize what I can get at this altitude.

no e85 either.

H20/Meth FTW
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    H20/Meth FTW
    Yeah you are probably right. That and some RB's should fix it. Hate messing with meth/water. Had a supercharged car long ago with an early aquamist never could get it to run right. Bleeding lines etc. Huge PITA always worried about blowing up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From what I've heard the current aquamist kit for the n54 works very very well. I plan to get it when I get my vtt's installed. I didn't want to mess with meth either but I feel like getting upgraded turbos without meth is a waste.

Nice results OP!
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    From what I've heard the current aquamist kit for the n54 works very very well. I plan to get it when I get my vtt's installed. I didn't want to mess with meth either but I feel like getting upgraded turbos without meth is a waste.

Nice results OP!
    Everything I read about the newer high end meth kits is good, PWM esp. But then everything I read 20 years ago was good too. If I do go that route I'd def go meth first then turbos.