This is my hardware

Click here to enlarge
    335i Attiva AT Black Saphire Stage 2 with bimmerboost flash mod
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    Well, I'm genuinely interested in this, I'm wondering because logically that sounds strange to me... I mean a usb subsystem problem in Windows i get. Exacerbated by faster processors makes sense too. But, then why is it that AMD systems, and in this case a shiny new haswell (substantially faster than the core2 variety) read fine? I mean I know AMD hasn't made speed records in a while, but they can't be slower than those old architectures. I think there has to be something in the software (bbflash), in the hardware on some Intel boards, or in whatever driver Intel likes to use for usb. I just don't understand what cpu "speed" has to do with anything based on the variety of computers that fail and work.
    Its not directly related to speed. We flashed a car on a 4ghz+ intel processor just fine. It has to do with combination of windows + a few processor families. Its not nailed down exactly but we know the problem is there, and the type of problem one could solve by spending potentially countless hours trying to resolve in software using timing tricks, only to realize that it causes compatibility problems with another processor type or the timing is out of wack, or perhaps it causes the other 90% of the people to have a read time 2x as long. Its something to put on the bucket list though.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Was the hardware causing the problem ever identified? I'm trying to locate a computer tomorrow that will work with a k-line car I've been having difficulties with.

I have a intel core 2 duo 2.2ghz macbook running xp sp3. Worked perfect on k-can cars.

Having the issue some k-liners have been having. 8 hr read time, slow flashing LED on cable, write fails on startup. Said something like "could not authenticate ecu"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMWJunkie Click here to enlarge
    Was the hardware causing the problem ever identified? I'm trying to locate a computer tomorrow that will work with a k-line car I've been having difficulties with.

I have a intel core 2 duo 2.2ghz macbook running xp sp3. Worked perfect on k-can cars.

Having the issue some k-liners have been having. 8 hr read time, slow flashing LED on cable, write fails on startup. Said something like "could not authenticate ecu"
    Best bet is a laptop or desktop with an AMD processor. I did recently get a new laptop with a Intel core i5 haswell I'll test out tomorrow after my exam, but I've had no luck with anything Intel based on my car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I located a HP laptop with a AMD chip and windows xp. Picking that up tonight and going to try again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Head's up to everyone having issues flashing their K-LINE car, I may have found a potential solution to the authentication issues. NOTE THAT THIS SOLUTION WILL CONSUME 1 (ONE) VIN SLOT ON THE BAV TECH CABLE!!!

1. Connect the car to a battery charger.
    2. Connect the Bav. Tech. cable to the OBDII port and to your computer.
    3. THIS WILL USE ONE VIN SLOT ON THE BAV TECH CABLE. Open the Bav. Tech. application, select your car/ECU, and under 'Engine' select 'Commands'. Select 'Reset ECU.'
    4. Open the BBFlash utility.
    5. Click 'ID ECU.'
    6. The BBFlash program should now properly populate the fields. If you get a "0" for voltage, it means that you're under 12Vdc and shouldn't proceed with flashing until the battery charges further.
    7. If the BBFlash indicated greater than 12Vdc, proceed with flashing.

Notes:
    - THIS WILL CONSUME ONE VIN ON THE BAV TECH CABLE (did I mention that before?).
    - Proceed through the 'Reset ECU' process before each time you hit the 'ID ECU' button in BBFlash.
    - Restart the BBFlash utility each time you reset the ECU.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Awesome, if thats the case you just saved me 100 on a CL laptop and 30 min each way drive.

PM me and I'll buy ya a beer next time im in Madison.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I'll try this tonight or tomorrow and confirm, since I have 6 laptops that are Intel based and don't work with my '07 lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Let me/the public know what results you guys get...for me this was the only was I could reliably flash my '07 with an Intel laptop (never tried an AMD).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I just tried it with no luck.

Do you leave the bav technic program open when you launch bbflash?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That's unfortunate...thought I had stumbled onto something.

No, I close Bav Tech before opening BBFlash. Another thing I do is open BBFlash as Administrator. Maybe worth a shot?

EDIT: I just realized that I used Terry's modified BBFlash app available over on his forum. Try that as well with the procedure above.

For reference, I attached an image of my first successful write:
    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by EvanL; 12-13-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I finally got it to write with the AMD chip but it failed. Bad file error.

I used the correct dme version and correct xdf for the dme type. Tables were in order, not sure what happened.

Anyone know where to go from here?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I finally got it to write with the AMD chip but it failed. Bad file error.

I used the correct dme version and correct xdf for the dme type. Tables were in order, not sure what happened.

Anyone know where to go from here?
    How long did the write take? The "bad file" errors that I've had were the result of the laptop I used. Try another computer.
    07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS DPs | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mine always fails. Usually I end up forcing a write which also fails, getting the computer stuck in recovery mode. I then unplug the battery for a minute and try another normal write (sometimes takes a few tries to get the software to recognise the car again) and about 3/4 times it works then.

But you definitely want to make sure the computer at least reads correctly first. Around 70 minutes for the read, producing a file that looks normal in tunerpro, or else I'd suspect the computer. Also, a good charger is important. But my trick is getting the dme into recovery mode then cycling the battery. Kline is a pain, but keep at it. If the computer reads and doesn't have dinan or something, she'll write.

Also, try one of the canned bins. Sometimes I have better luck with those than ones I edit. My car runs when I write my stock back normally, but for whatever reason likes me to play with the bms one more. It makes no sense, the 09 I play with has none of these issues, but patience always prevails.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I flashed it back to stock with winfkp.

Completely read out the dme with bbflash and it took 3 hours.

Tried to write again, fail to authenticate.

Cleared all faults in all modules with bav technic software and reset dme

Wrote dme successfully.

Tune was slightly too agressive and had to flash again and now it failed again, bad map data.

Tried several times to reflash map, force write complete, force write map data.

Nothing worked, even trying to flash the complete stock .bin file.

Flashing back to stock with winfkp now and going to try again. This gets frustrating lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Ok just wanted to report back. I have a working intel computer for my K-Line! My new box is a Sony Vaio Flip with the core i5 4200 (the newer Haswell ULV processor) running Windows 8.1 and it worked better than any other computer I've used so far. It populated all the fields on the first try and gave zero errors.

Anyway, on all test computers I have downloaded the baverian technic cable drivers from their website. I also have installed the BT software, but I don't use it. I use Terry's version (1.2) of the bbflash software. JB4 in Map 0 and for today I didn't use any charger (just turned the lights off, it was only a partial write). These issues are only present on 2007 cars, I haven't ever had an issue with the handful of newer cars I've flashed.

Computers/processors I have (or have tried) that do not work:
    Old CoreDuo processor laptop windows 7
    Old Core2Duo processor laptop windows 7 (both generations, merom and penryn)
    First gen core i7 processor laptop (quad core full voltage version) windows 7
    Second gen core i7 processor laptop (SandyBridge, I think it was a mobile chip not a full voltage or ULV) windows 7
    Third gen core i7 processor ultrabook (IvyBridge ULV processor) windows 8.0

Computers I have tried that do work:
    OLD 2003 AMD desktop with an Athlon XP processor with windows XP
    Some kind of AMD laptop that's a year or two old (friends laptop) windows 7
    An older netbook with an intel Atom processor (I think that's what they call them) and windows XP. Slowest computer ever.
    Fourth gen core i5 processor ultrabook (Haswell ULV processor) windows 8.1

The good news out of this is that the new laptops with haswell processors, which were a significant architectural change, might have fixed whatever issues intel had in the past. Only downside is they aren't cheap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

flashed mine no issues besides having to connect 2 battery chargers.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    flashed mine no issues besides having to connect 2 battery chargers.
    What computer do you have? Voltage was never my issue. Although it is for many.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I have over kill battery chargers, variable up to 60amps. I know that is not my problem as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Went out and bought a asus laptop with haswell chipset. i5 4200 something.

WORKED FLAWLESSLY

55min read 9min write.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

macbook pro with Windows 7 parallels
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I would even caution those 2007 cars who think they have a working laptop. Mine worked flawlessly for the first 15-20 flashed I did, and then one day...nothing. Won't read, write, anything. I don't know if it was a Windows Update or what changed, but now I use my desktop without issue.
    07 E92 335I | JB4 G5 ISO | BMS E85 Flash | DCI | BMS DPs | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCU Flash | Walbro GLS392 | E70 | 429rwhp/474rwtq

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Went out and bought a asus laptop with haswell chipset. i5 4200 something.

WORKED FLAWLESSLY

55min read 9min write.
    This is really good to know, your car sounded picky like mine. Even on other working computers I'd gets fails frequently, causing "recovery mode" and "authentication" errors. This new computer seems fine so far. I don't know what Intel changed, but after generations of something not working with most Intel based computers... we got really lucky lol. I didn't expect it to work.

The bright side is haswell is an excellent upgrade for mobile if you are eying new computers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Here is the exact laptop I bought. It was 599 at best buy.

Asus VivoBook 13.3" Touchscreen Laptop
    Model Q301LA-BHI5T02

This is not the computer I really want but just needed to get this car done. I will be returning it and probably picking up a macbook air. If anyone has tried the new macbook air on a K-line car or would like to try it that would be awesome. Otherwise I will be trying it myself soon.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just an fyi. I recently got an hp stream 7 tablet, and I have zero problem flashing my 2007 e90 kline. I used to have connection problem and bad file problem constantly with my dell laptop running windows 7.

also this tablet has been great for my jb4 logging. pretty worth $100 i spent on the tablet.

just remember to pull the fuel pump fuse.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast