Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitrous Talk

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Nitrous Talk

So one day early last year I bought an NX nitrous kit for my 335i. I did a lot of research on the subject before purchasing the kit. I found out during my research that you couldn't just buy the kit. You need a bottle opener and bottle heater also. Also a purge kit is highly recommended. I ended up buying all the best parts money could buy, NX kit, NX heater, NX opener, and NX purge kit. I ultimately got cold feet, sold the kit and bought upgraded turbos. I remember during that research that there were some VERY knowledgable people on here with some very solid advice. I've seen others lately contemplate N2O on here also. Many on here will say that N2O has no business in N54s/BMWs, etc. Those people are not welcome in this thread. I would like to create a thread for those that are interested in the topic to come and learn. I am thinking about keeping my EVO and slapping a huge turbo on it and possibly using N2O to spool the turbo. Or possibly just putting N2O on it just for the hell of it. N2O on turbo cars is a little challenging for those that don't know. One for sure issue that I know of is boost creep. You have to figure this in when setting your boost level during your nitrous shot. Hopefully the experts can chime in here and give us some kind of ballpark factor to plan for. Or is it best to just lower boost signficantly, use a small nozzle to test with and see how much boost creep you get? Also I know that hight EGTs from turbo cars create an issue. I'm just not sure exactly what it is lol.

So...... Please teach us experts!!!!! Click here to enlarge

Harry, I need NOS. 2 of the big one :O
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

The part numbers I used for my 335i.

NX purge kit: 15603
    NX bottle opener: 11107 (5lb opener)
    NX 5lb bottle heater: 15939
    NX kit w/5lb bottle: 21000-05
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Here are some questions to break the ice:

What parts can you cheap out on, which ones can you not?

Which brands are most reliable?

At what HP/setup should you go to a wet shot?

Is meth injection a suitable substitute for gas/wet shot?

Why must the bottle lay flate and the opener face the front of the vehicle?

How many passes will a 5lb/10lb/12lb bottle last?

Is NANO (nitrogen assisted nitrous oxide) worth it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge

What parts can you cheap out on, which ones can you not? With Nitrous, do not cheap out. It is a cheap enough HP adder, going cheaper is a bad idea and you can have issues with poorly made products.

Which brands are most reliable? NX is quality stuff but if you want the best use Wizards of NOS from EU. They have superior products, slightly more expensive than NX though.

At what HP/setup should you go to a wet shot? Not really an important question in our case (BMW). Due to the amount of power a small jet can net, you will not even be able to go over a 50 shot without seeing cracked landings ect.

Is meth injection a suitable substitute for gas/wet shot? You can create a pseudo wet shot with straight meth. The whole point of a wet kit is to insure that when you spray you have enough fuel to avoid lean conditions. Meth can make that happen for you but then you are dealing with multiple tuning needs and the margin for error is slim.

Why must the bottle lay flate and the opener face the front of the vehicle?It is not supposed to lay flat, it should be angled and it does not have to face the front of the vehicle. I will post my setup tonight once I put the bottle back in.

How many passes will a 5lb/10lb/12lb bottle last? Depends on how big a jet size you are using, also depends on if you decide to have a purge setup.

The point of the NANO systems is to adjust to less than ideal bottle pressures, if you can keep you bottle within the required range you will not see much improvement if any at all.
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Nitrous doesn't belong on a BMW man, everyone knows this Click here to enlarge Honestly just do it right the first time, go direct port and bypass all of that silly unequal distribution nonsense. An upgraded intake manifold would be tits too. Biggest issue will be finding the balance between too much back pressure and shot size, ala boost will need to taper A LOT to keep back pressure from breaking turbos/causing detonation.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

I disagree on the 50hp statement, unless you have direct knowledge of that. I can measure an N54 ring to see what the gap is, but im *assuming* it is larger than most, since its already turbocharged..... it should be larger to account for boost levels.

I bet you could spray a pretty healthy amount with low boost, although a combo of big boost and dope could land you in trouble.

and also, I disagree with the bottle statement. Unless you have a different bottle than any nitrous can i have seen, there is a sippy straw angled downwards. its orientation vs. straw is bottle forwards, knob up.

I ran a 150 wet shot on my mud truck that LOVED it.

arm switch => WOT switch => fuel pressure sensor => dual RPM window switch (500rpm below my redline RPM) => timing retard box => solenoid for nitrous/fuel.

basically- flip switch, stomp the pedal, wait for the lower RPM window to hit, and hold on. no worries about hurting the engine, the nitrous turned off before I hit redline and didnt turn on if it was too low of an RPM.

had a 125 shot on a 2RZFE that was wet, and set up similarly. I had a BLAST with that little truck Click here to enlarge

was lowered, spring/shocks/sways, big meats and stuck to the road like a go-kart. I autocrossed it in SOLOII SPF class and took 3rd place one season in a daily driven truck lol

funfunfunfunfun lol
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

This is exactly the discussion I was intending with this thread. Let's not limit it to N54 discussion either. Thanks Alex! There were some very elaborate setups discussed last year when I was planning this on my 335i. My buddy is now debating it on his 335i and I'm debating it on the EVO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge

What parts can you cheap out on, which ones can you not? More a question of tuning the car right, having all the safety stuff in place which you seem to have bought.... I just bought all the same stuff as you and more for my E39 540i and have done a ton of research... to really do it properly I am doing exhaust, progressive water/meth, using maximizer 4 2 stage progressive NX Nitrous, will rebore engine etc etc... so all up after buying $2400 worth of NX products I will spend another $4k to get it right for a 50-150 shot in 2 stages

you need the bottle heater for sure and a decent TPS switch at a minimum

Which brands are most reliable? I went with NX cause I was a bit peeved by ZEX and NOS

At what HP/setup should you go to a wet shot? There is a great thread on here where a guy with an N54 does a small 35 shot and gets a BIG 75-80 whp BANG for his $$$ = see here

Is meth injection a suitable substitute for gas/wet shot? Not as much extra kick with your turbo FI but will give a safer/cheaper jolt with cooling effects

Why must the bottle lay flat and the opener face the front of the vehicle? Bottle at open end is higher than tail to prevent spooling is my undertanding

How many passes will a 5lb/10lb/12lb bottle last? 10lbs will last 8 or so 1/4 mile drag races at 100 hp shot for 8 secs WOT

2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not quite ready yet to go this route myself, but I'm definitely intrigued. Sub'd Click here to enlarge

Thanks for starting this consolidated thread.
    2010 E90 335i xDrive
    JB4 G5 ISO | BMS DCI | BMS OCC | Alpina Flash | LED Angel Eyes | Matte Black Kidney Grills | growing list....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

What type of nozzle placement would one recommend for best results to get equal distribution to all cylinders? Is there even any decent intake manifold options out there for the n54?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

terry can chime in here but he has seen his fair share of nitrous related seal issues and landing problems.
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

For whatever reason I haven't seen serious nitrous discussion on this platform in quite a while. I think everyone is just more interested in turbo upgrades today.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would also like to hear anyone's input regarding JB4 being used to control the nitrous. Is this a replacement for the NX nitrous controller?
    2010 E90 335i xDrive
    JB4 G5 ISO | BMS DCI | BMS OCC | Alpina Flash | LED Angel Eyes | Matte Black Kidney Grills | growing list....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Adam did a really nice job (IMO) on his M54.

I was devastated for him, when it burned to the ground Click here to enlarge
    All that hard work to see it burned to a shell....
    At least he got out alive and healed up.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Follow us!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Main thing was getting out alive.

I also won't play around with bottle heaters. Push system for me, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

bottle heaters have their place bud.

what HAS NO PLACE is the dumbasses who use torches and other dumb things to heat their bottles.

when I see that, i go as far away as possible.
    Click here to enlarge
    Follow us!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

I know I just prefer to not mess with heaters period if I don't have to and I don't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Nitrous outlet makes a badass bottle holder/heater. We put one in @All Motor's camaro. Those guys make some top notch parts and are worth looking into.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Depending on where you live and the time of year you may never have to use a bottle heater at all. Tx for example. Heater is pointless. I need a cooler honestly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

Really, the only reason I see a heater being beneficial is if your bottle is low and you need to bring the pressure back up(edit: duh, that's the reason you have one in the first place, but you know what I'm mean.... Very low bottle level and your trying to use a lot of the capacity) I try to shoot for 950-1000 psi bottle pressure, and just switch it out if it goes below that. Top offs are easy with multiple bottles. A nitrous shop is right down the street from me, no big deal to bring them 2-3 tanks and have them drop a couple pounds in them each
    Click here to enlarge
    Follow us!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Link to Adam's build anywhere by chance? Don't know his screen name so didn't know what to search.
    2010 E90 335i xDrive

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Just look in the M54 section.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Ok people already running nitrous on N54s. Since there is no manifold for direct port nitrous injection yet, where are your nozzles? Anyone using a BMS meth elbow for the nitrous nozzle? i just want to make sue the nozzle isn't too long for that location. Nitrous nozzles are much longer than meth nozzles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast