Close

Thread: Wavetrac LSD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Wavetrac LSD

Just had a Wavetrac installed by a reputable shop local to me in Mississauga, Canada. I'm experiencing a moaning sound / binding vibration through the drive train when I initially start driving and making turns at low speeds. Once I get some heat into the diff it seems to be gone. Also there are no issues / vibrations when driving in a straight line even when the diff is cold.

I just got the car back Thursday so I still need to more driving / testing.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what the solution was.

I'll call the shop on Monday and get there thoughts.

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who did the install?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Noise at low speed turns is normal with a new diff. You want to go into an empty parking lot and do figure 8's for a while to break it in.

Didn't anyone tell you this?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Disagree. Noise is not normal. Breaking with figure 8s is a good idea but if it's making noise, the lash wasn't set right or something worse. Take it back immediately and make sure that you see the gears when they open it up. DO NOT let them readjust and close it up without you inspecting it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Noise is normal on fresh gears even BMW advises breaking in the diff then changing the fluid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Normal operations:

During initial LSD break in (figure eights/circles), it is normal for the rear end to chatter
    (tire scrub/LSD noise) depending on the vehicles limited slip choice.

It is normal for some fresh rebuilt differentials to have “tight spots” rough turning before
    break in. Differentials are shipped/assembled dry. These mistaken imperfections remedy
    upon fluid fill and break in process.

High lock up (60%+) static LSDs have difficulties unlocking depending on driving
    surfaces (rain/snow/gravel/etc)

Ramped differentials may experience noise from acceleration/deceleration as ramped
    pieces move dependant of differential load (including Kaaz units).

Variable lock up differentials may influence handling dynamics of vehicle upon change
    in lockup based on differential load.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks guys, this is first experience driving a car with a LSD wasn't sure if a break in period was needed for the wavetrac / Quaife style diffs. I was under the impression it would drive completely stock, and was a surprised to feel the vibration or binding in certain circumstances. I've been out driving quite a while today and every once and a while I get that binding vibration shutter, other and most times it feels perfect. I may have confused the vibraton/binding with a noise but I'm more sure now there is no noise coming from the diff. I'll call the installer just to confirm and get his thoughts, it does sound like it's just part of the break-in period for the diff since the issue is random and doesn't seem to follow a pattern when it acts up. I just wanted to poll the forums, so I don't waste the installers time. Ivo did the install, great guy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Which fluid did the shop fill the differential with?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Noise is normal on fresh gears even BMW advises breaking in the diff then changing the fluid.
    BMW has clutch style LSD's.
    This is NOT a clutch style LSD.
    It should not make this noise, át least not loud, and it needs no breaking in.
    And it really should not shutter/vibrate unless you drive with extreeemely wide and sticky rear tires

I just hope they didnt forget to fill it up with oil...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Make sure you use either oem diff oil or, better, Red Line 75w-90 NS in your wavetrac/quaife..it shouldn't use the m3 lsd oil which many shops seem to make the mistake with it seems..also the NS on the oil is important, don't use the regular 75w-90
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    BMW has clutch style LSD's.
    This is NOT a clutch style LSD.
    It should not make this noise, át least not loud, and it needs no breaking in.
    And it really should not shutter/vibrate unless you drive with extreeemely wide and sticky rear tires

I just hope they didnt forget to fill it up with oil...
    My aftermarket LSD was not a clutch type and made this noise and needed breaking in.

I don't know why some of you are surprised as if a diff doesn't need to be broken in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have used MANY different diffs in my days, and can say that SOME will make noise when new. These would be clucth type, or cone type, aka Auborns.

If it is a gear differential, wave tec, Gleason torson, etc, there should be NO noise.

OP, does it make noise in a straight line? Accelerating, or coasting? Or only in a turn at low speed?

My Custom Auborn in parking lots would have people running over to my car to warn me, LOL If they only knew I paid ALOT of money for it to make that sound.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well according to diffsonline noise is normal and once again I experienced noise that went away after break in. BMW also changes your diff fluid at least in the M3 at 1200 miles for a reason as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well according to diffsonline noise is normal and once again I experienced noise that went away after break in. BMW also changes your diff fluid at least in the M3 at 1200 miles for a reason as well.
    I think the point others are trying to make is that you cannot compare the characteristics of the M3 clutch type LSD to the Quaife or Wavetrac for the 335 which are helical gear type.

I experienced no noise with my Wavetrac and Redline 75w-90NS lube other than a slight "clunk" when shifting from D to R or from P to D. Nothing when I turn. I would not think a helical gear differential should make noise or vibrations when turning.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    I think the point others are trying to make is that you cannot compare the characteristics of the M3 clutch type LSD to the Quaife or Wavetrac for the 335 which are helical gear type.
    Absolutely but the point I'm trying to make is you still need to break a diff in regardless. You still need to change your fluid to get rid of metal flakes.

I don't even remember what type of diff I went with but it was different from the OEM setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Make sure you use either oem diff oil or, better, Red Line 75w-90 NS in your wavetrac/quaife..it shouldn't use the m3 lsd oil which many shops seem to make the mistake with it seems..also the NS on the oil is important, don't use the regular 75w-90
    Ivo did the install and used OEM fluid. Talked to him today and were going to go for a ride together and see if we can reproduce the issue.

I'll try doing some figure 8's in the parking and see if it helps.

He also did a line lock for me and I have some new MT ET 2's ready to go. I'm hoping the car will be ready to go for Friday T&T at Cayuga 11's here I come.