Thread: BB Flash problem

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BB Flash problem

This morning, I tried flashing my 07 IJE0S MSD80 335i with the BB flash. It took only 8 minutes to flash. I thought this was odd. I then tried to start the car and no luck. Car would crank but nothing. I then tried to load up the BB Flash software again but it shows 0 Volts for the charge and it shows my software version as 0IGD0S, I have no idea why. I used my own ROM. Also, I had a charger attached during the reading and flashing process. Any ideas?

Tomorrow I will try again and reset my logfile.

2. #ADS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Some good info in the first post: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20563

PS. IJE0S is a MSD81 file. Maybe you modified your file wrong or loaded the wrong one. Unless the DME was replaced a 2007 model would use 18A0S.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks, I've been looking through that link all day and have not had much success in solving this. The bin file from the original read is IJE0S, which is what I've been using for my COBB maps. According to INPA and the BavTech software its MSD80, so I'm having trouble understanding how this mismatch is possible.

klipseracer is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by scorpnaz7 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks, I've been looking through that link all day and have not had much success in solving this. The bin file from the original read is IJE0S, which is what I've been using for my COBB maps. According to INPA and the BavTech software its MSD80, so I'm having trouble understanding how this mismatch is possible.
    There is a way to check in software. Send your log.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the N5X Enthusiasts Group! 400+ Members Strong!
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/112468002137607/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by scorpnaz7 Click here to enlarge
    The first thing you'd do is cycle power to the battery and reload your original BIN.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Attachment 32571
    Terry, you were right it is MSD81 IJE0S. I'm still having trouble with this though. I bought a new charger and have been charging the battery for several hours now. The battery shows 12.4V with a multimeter. The ECU is in recovery mode showing 0 Voltage. I uploaded an image showing what I'm looking at. I also noticed that my JB4 is not receiving any power. I went in to the ECU compartment with a multimeter and there is no voltage going into the JB4. The DME relay appears to be working but the cable (coming from the DME) that is supposed to engage the relay is not grounding. I'm not sure if this is related. I attached a log of an attempt to flash with my original bin file. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

You disconnect the battery for a min or two to clear the ECU mode. If you forgot to turn the JB4 off then at this point you'll have to remove it as power is shut down to the coils (which the JB4 saps power off) when the ECU is in programming mode.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 08-24-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I tried it again. I disconnected the JB4 and left the battery disconnected for a few minutes. The DME is still in recovery mode though. I repeated the process several times and no luck. Also, i'm not sure if its normal but why is the part number FFFFFFFF and the software id something other than IJE0S?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I flashed it once more, the flash went to completion. Only lasted 8 minutes, but the DME is still in recovery mode, only thing that changed was it is now reading IJE0S as software.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

You'll probably want to track down another laptop then. Without proper firmware none of the ID fields will fill in properly. You may want to try writing one of the canned maps JB4 maps on n54tech as well.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tried it with a different laptop, I had the same result. I also tried uploading one of the maps you mentioned but nothing changed. I attached a log file, hopefully its useful. I appreciate the help thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

Have a screen shot of what it shows you upon completion of write?
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I tried flashing it with one of the JB4 bins again and it worked. I then tried flashing my original bin file and it went back in to recovery mode. I suppose maybe my original file was corrupt, I don't recall there being any errors in the original read. I flashed the JB4 file again and its good. I did notice that a few digits from my VIN changed I don't know if anything else changed though.

Is there any way to recover my original file or is it gone? Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)

If you want to email over your original I can check it out.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks! I appreciate it. I sent the file to terry@burgertuning.com

mykal is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

What was the solution with the incorrect VIN? I'm having a similar issue:

With battery charger hooked up to car; read took 80min. Worked fine. During IJE0S_E85 write, battery charger was accidentally turned off from A/C power (my 3yr old pulled plug, Argghhh!Click here to enlarge). Write continued; took 25min. But at the end car went into 'ECU Recovery Mode." Battery reset and battery charger re-connected, 3yr old chased out of garage. Click here to enlarge I re-flashed the (VIN).org file; took 25min. Worked fine. Flashed IJE0S_e85 file; took 25min. Worked fine, BUT now VIN# is different in BB Flash. VIN# is only correct when I flash the .org file. Anytime I flash a JB4 .bin it changes my VIN#. Is this normal?

Click here to enlarge

lulz_m3 is online now Full Throttle

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mykal Click here to enlarge
    What was the solution with the incorrect VIN? I'm having a similar issue:

With battery charger hooked up to car; read took 80min. Worked fine. During IJE0S_E85 write, battery charger was accidentally turned off from A/C power (my 3yr old pulled plug, Argghhh!Click here to enlarge). Write continued; took 25min. But at the end car went into 'ECU Recovery Mode." Battery reset and battery charger re-connected, 3yr old chased out of garage. Click here to enlarge I re-flashed the (VIN).org file; took 25min. Worked fine. Flashed IJE0S_e85 file; took 25min. Worked fine, BUT now VIN# is different in BB Flash. VIN# is only correct when I flash the .org file. Anytime I flash a JB4 .bin it changes my VIN#. Is this normal?

Click here to enlarge
    yes, it's a canned bin. You could do a file compare in tuner pro and replicate the changes to YOUR bin to solve this.
    2007 BMW 335i 6MT / Alpine Weiss
    Rent my BT cable, Click Here
    Click here to enlarge

mykal is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    yes, it's a canned bin. You could do a file compare in tuner pro and replicate the changes to YOUR bin to solve this.
    Thanks for your help. It makes sense now.

klipseracer is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mykal Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for your help. It makes sense now.
    The vin number is stored in the BIN. Had a nice conversation about this with Shiv in fact. Although new information to me, its not ground breaking news that helped this flasher become what it is. For some reason the nut jobs on E90post think that this bit of information is ever so valuable. If you flash a canned bin, your vin will probably change in terms of what BB OpenSourceFlash reports. Also, what BT reports for the DME, I think it always says MSD80 regardless. There is a way to decipher the actual module but it is not currently implemented.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the N5X Enthusiasts Group! 400+ Members Strong!
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/112468002137607/

mykal is offline Member

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    The vin number is stored in the BIN. Had a nice conversation about this with Shiv in fact. Although new information to me, its not ground breaking news that helped this flasher become what it is. For some reason the nut jobs on E90post think that this bit of information is ever so valuable. If you flash a canned bin, your vin will probably change in terms of what BB OpenSourceFlash reports. Also, what BT reports for the DME, I think it always says MSD80 regardless. There is a way to decipher the actual module but it is not currently implemented.
    I've noticted that too about the BT cable reporting my DME as MSD80 when it is not.