Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Reason not to get cast wheels - Bent Concept 1 CS5.0

I shaved my fenders sometime ago then I recently started barely rubbing. I thought the fenders separated slightly so I cut the inner fenders out and it stopped rubbing. My buddy was following me and said my wheel had a bad wobble, I thought it was the tire.....NOPE the rear rim is bent.....the front one was bent within a week from getting these giant POS or it was bent from the factory. I should have done research before getting these and this post is to save someone else the trouble. get quality FORGED wheels.
    I do have MORR VS8.2 on the way if I can get MORR to quite giving me the run around and ship them out.
    [YOUTUBE]Pb8iSvYUK7o[/YOUTUBE]

JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's always better to just spend the money up front so you don't have to end up spending it twice for quality rims.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's always better to just spend the money up front so you don't have to end up spending it twice for quality rims.
    That is the truth.....that should be a big yellow sticker on all cast rims LOL!!!
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what brand wheel?
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Amen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    what brand wheel?
    Concept 1 CS5.0

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    That is the truth.....that should be a big yellow sticker on all cast rims LOL!!!
    I think it's going a little too far to say all cast rims are crap. There are some very good ones out there, like the BBS pressure-cast wheels I bought.

The first set of aftermarket wheels I purchased were cheap Chinese replicas. They bent within 1000 miles (though not nearly as bad as yours). But the BBS have been excellent, despite the awful roads we have in DC and Northern VA. They weren't cheap (~$2700 for the set), but not nearly as expensive as the HREs I'm dreaming of at ~$6500.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Try getting them repaired as even if you want to sell these nobody will buy as is. I did use one place in Highland Park before, but I'm sure you can find some closer to you.

I used Wheel Tech to repair my bent rims.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, I feel like a idiot...I got to thinking, maybe this could be spacer related....took spacers off and there is very little bend in the rim. These are 10MM hubcentric and good quality also. I think either the rims bore is off or the spacers hubcentric rim is wore or not machined correctly. I am almost positive this probably caused my lugs to snap a while back.

video coming

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't think there is any way to say that a Forged wheel wouldn't bend under certain stresses too. I have always had cast wheels on my cars, since I daily drive them and don't want to ruin $$$$ wheels. I have had wheels from several companies, including Rota, 5Zigen, Work, and currently Alufelgen, and have never had a single issue with a bent wheel, even daily driving around metro Detroit(the roads are as bad as you think they are). Not to say there aren't junk wheels out there, but it's a bit of a blanket statement to say about cast wheels.
    Current: 2012 CTS-V - stock for now
    Past: 2009 135i 6MT - JB4, bolt ons, meth, E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is the vid with the spacers off...MUCH better.

Here is a pic of the spacers and areas I think are the culprit.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Concept 1 CS5.0
    Bummed to hear that I like their designs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why do you think that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why do you think that?
    I think that because that is what the rim rides on and if not perfect our if it is worn/out of spec it will cause your wheel to be not hubcentric and a ton of run out. I just don't know what other part of the spacer could cause this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I put my new 3MM spacers on and it rides much better....well as good as these $#@! rims can.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    do your wheels possibly require a hubcentric ring to make them fit our wheel bore?
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Could it be that the original hubcentre is higher than the space left out in the spacer?
    Judging by the wear it seems to me, as far as I can judge the small picture, there is wear on the inside of the spacer.
    If the spacer was resting on the edge of the original hubcentre that would explain the wobble.
    And riding with sucha wobble could cause the rim to warp under load stress.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its the spacer. H&Rs are the same way, that bevel does not allow the rim to sit flush, hence the wobbling. Change brand of spacers and you should be ok.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Its the spacer. H&Rs are the same way, that bevel does not allow the rim to sit flush, hence the wobbling. Change brand of spacers and you should be ok.
    makes total sense.