Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

How much should an LSD really cost me?

Hey guys,

First off car is an 09' E92 6AT. Been searching for awhile now for a place to have my rear diff built. Prices seem to be all over the map, even core charges varying depending on who you go to. I even had Turner Motorsports tell me that my rear diff is welded (he actually said all of the auto's are). He quoted me a price of almost $4,000 NOT INCLUDING the core charge...seriously? For a $#@!ing rear diff.? I was also under the impression that my rear diff was bolted, not welded. (HP auto works has a chart so, not really sure to be honest)

1) Can someone confirm for me that my rear diff. is welded? Really don't want to be charged according to Turner an extra $1,000+ just cause it's welded when I believe it is not.

2) I was thinking to go with the Quaife LSD, helical design. Any idea how much power this should hold? What should I honestly be paying for the LSD itself plus build and install. (Best I can find is $1,3xx range for the LSD itself.) I've been waiting on a quote from a shop in Tampa (Lutz), but kinda tired of waiting just to get prices. They are pricing out 4 different things and keep telling me they're waiting for prices from Vargas on the turbos before doing the whole quote. Well, a local guy will probably be installing my turbos now as he was able to get pricing in about 10 minutes for the install of the turbos by simply calling Vargas. What a concept...calling someone to get info! Sorry Lutz, I know the name is extremely reputable, but how can you not get a quote back within 45 days?!!

Just want to get an idea of a reasonable price before I get raped in the ass by some shop as IMO Turner was way off the map!!

PTF prices were already a lot less than Turner, so as of now, that's who I'm looking to go to for the LSD. Damn, still a crazy chunk of change just for a rear diff.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Oh yes, and how easy is it to install the complete final drive unit yourself? Doesn't require a lift does it? Toughest parts I've installed so far on the car are the Downpipes for reference.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Per Wavetrac, it is mentioned as bolted:

http://www.wavetrac.net/application_bmw335.htm

* 30.309.175WK is for 188K type axle with bolted ring gear. No machining is required on above referenced models.
    back to applications page

4k seems in line if diff costs about 3k and 1k installation?

About power, why not just email the vendors, as I doubt we will be pushing the limits.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

LOL I hope it wouldn't cost a grand to bolt-in a complete final drive! They quoted just for building the LSD $4,200....that's $1,200 more than PTF. PTF core charge $1,600, Turner Core charge $1,500 (yes on top of the $4,200). So out almost $6,000 until old LSD can be sent back-in for refund....Absolutely nuts!

Edit: Oh yeah- and then installing the final drive into the actual car could do it myself at that point, but figure another $3-400 for that for a shop.
    Last edited by mjmarovi; 08-22-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Hi @mjmarovi, I think there may be some confusion on pricing. It should definitely not cost 6k to get an LSD on your car Click here to enlarge what is the production year and month of your car...email me at dzenno at protuningfreaks dot com and we'll price it out

Our online price for a 6AT Wavetrac currently is between $2299 (models through aug 2007) and $2599 (models sept 2007 and up). That includes everything except the core charge which is refunded when we receive your original core back which must be in working order. Shipping within continental US is $95.

Here's a link:

http://www.protuningfreaks.com/drive...w-135-335.html
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Hi @mjmarovi, I think there may be some confusion on pricing. It should definitely not cost 6k to get an LSD on your car Click here to enlarge what is the production year and month of your car...email me at dzenno at protuningfreaks dot com and we'll price it out

Our online price for a 6AT Wavetrac currently is between $2299 (models through aug 2007) and $2599 (models sept 2007 and up). That includes everything except the core charge which is refunded when we receive your original core back which must be in working order. Shipping within continental US is $95.

Here's a link:

http://www.protuningfreaks.com/drive...w-135-335.html
    Email sent

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Dzenno,

As per you site it's $2299 and you send me a modified housing with the wavetrac installed. Once I return the unit I get $1000 back and my total becomes $1299?

Just read your post again. Core charge not included in $2299 price.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NJrep335i Click here to enlarge
    Dzenno,

As per you site it's $2299 and you send me a modified housing with the wavetrac installed. Once I return the unit I get $1000 back and my total becomes $1299?

Just read your post again. Core charge not included in $2299 price.
    yup, if yours matches that build date its $2299 + you need to add the core charge to it at checkout...once we get your original unit back in working order we'd refund the core charge

That is for a FULL pumpkin with the LSD installed, ready to bolt up and go. We'd need your FULL OEM pumpkin back with the OEM open diff inside to apply the core charge refund.

Who'd ever think we'd be talking about pumpkins on a car forum Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

yup, if yours matches that build date its $2299 + you need to add the core charge to it at checkout...once we get your original unit back in working order we'd refund the core charge

That is for a FULL pumpkin with the LSD installed, ready to bolt up and go. We'd need your FULL OEM pumpkin back with the OEM open diff inside to apply the core charge refund.

Who'd ever think we'd be talking about pumpkins on a car forum Click here to enlarge

LOL, Looks like I may need to go in this direction soon since I've got almost everything else. Thanks Dzenno, I'll keep you posted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I bought my Quaiffe from VAC, they were very helpful during the quoting process and gave me a good price. You guys will want one if your going for big power...
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I bought my Quaiffe from VAC, they were very helpful during the quoting process and gave me a good price. You guys will want one if your going for big power...
    Lol, I've wanted one since first time at the track with nothing but a cobb OTS tune.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

yeah i had a guy try and sell me an M3 OS-giken built diff for $3k saying it cost him $6k at turner

turner just sound like major ripoff merchants for diff builds...

anything MUCH more than about that $2k-$2500 mark, and you're better off getting a diff and halfshafts from a wrecked M3 (probably under $2k) IMO...
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Just a FYI my Wavetrac is on its way out. FWIW I think we'll be seeing Ricks teardown of the unit sooner than later (and suitable replacement for abuse selected.)

Of course my Wavetrac is not subjected to normal abuse, but rather a sustained and unrelenting progression of pain and suffering subjected on a near-constant basis. Do yourself a favor and get a Quaife.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Try talking to Wavetrac or your dealer about it. They have a lifetime warranty on them.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Try talking to Wavetrac or your dealer about it. They have a lifetime warranty on them.
    Aware; VAC did the original install and was unable to get anything covered by the lifetime warranty when I first started having issues with it. My experience with customer service (albeit through VAC) was abhorrent.

The wavetrac unit after initial problems has exhibited a regular and consistent trend towards self-destruction. It will not be replaced with another unit that can't withstand excellence. It's OSG when this little guy pops.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

@uniter how much torque are you putting through it?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Aware; VAC did the original install and was unable to get anything covered by the lifetime warranty when I first started having issues with it. My experience with customer service (albeit through VAC) was abhorrent.

The wavetrac unit after initial problems has exhibited a regular and consistent trend towards self-destruction. It will not be replaced with another unit that can't withstand excellence. It's OSG when this little guy pops.
    How the heck do you drive? Click here to enlarge I have hundreds of launches on my Wavetrac and its held up without issues. Describe your driving a bit and why an OSG would help put up with abuse in your case? Just curious on the thought process. We do carry the OSGs as well but this is the first time I've heard of the actual LSD unit having issues on this platform.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    @uniter how much torque are you putting through it?
    Mods in signature, no meth no e85. Nothing exotic.
    I cannot stress enough how I mistreat this car. My pressure plate exploded on the street. I don't even track/drag it. I hate it and I hate money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

@dzenno@PTF Its just my impression that the OSG is better engineered. I could be wrong (guess I'll find out.)

40k of abusive miles on the diff unit. (So it's probably older than yours)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    @dzenno@PTF Its just my impression that the OSG is better engineered. I could be wrong (guess I'll find out.)

40k of abusive miles on the diff unit. (So it's probably older than yours)
    My original 3.08 Wavetrac one had 60k miles, hundreds and hundreds of 1/4 mile passes. I swapped it for a 2.56 Quaife to test final drive changes. Wit the 2.56 Quaife the pinion snapped from a single launch with wheelhop after which it was replaced with another used Wavetrac 3.08 that's also seen a fair share of beating and about to see a lot more in the months to come. It may have just been a freak failure in your case and I'd love to know what actually failed.

In terms of the OSG being better it'll depend on your type of driving and what you need out of a diff but given its clutch based and not knowing your driving style/needs I'm not sure it'll turn out better or stronger for you. Just hard to say when I'm not sure how you managed to break the current Wavetrac or what exactly went. Wavetracs are no less tough than the Quaifes, very similar designs.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

My original 3.08 Wavetrac one had 60k miles, hundreds and hundreds of 1/4 mile passes. I swapped it for a 2.56 Quaife to test final drive changes. Wit the 2.56 Quaife the pinion snapped from a single launch with wheelhop after which it was replaced with another used Wavetrac 3.08 that's also seen a fair share of beating and about to see a lot more in the months to come. It may have just been a freak failure in your case and I'd love to know what actually failed.

In terms of the OSG being better it'll depend on your type of driving and what you need out of a diff but given its clutch based and not knowing your driving style/needs I'm not sure it'll turn out better or stronger for you. Just hard to say when I'm not sure how you managed to break the current Wavetrac or what exactly went. Wavetracs are no less tough than the Quaifes, very similar designs.
    Interesting, this is very good information; it very well could be a freak diff. We'll find out during the teardown.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

@dzenno, did you get my last email on production date? I'm thinking you left an email in draft form, cause we were emailing back and forth and then I didn't get an email with quote. Thanks, Matt.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I was told that an OSG diff is primarily suited for road course work. It's a clutch based diff that offers smoother engagement when going from off to on throttle. The Quaife was supposed to be the beefy drag race option as it's tough as nails but open during decel which can unsettle a car when trail-braking to back on throttle. I'm guessing Wavetrac is somewhere in the middle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

i trying to save up for a os giken
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

What about swapping in an M3 diff? I would need the complete final drive and half-shaft correct? How does the M3 diff compare to the Wavetrac or Quaife or OS Giken?

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast