Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Has anyone in the Maryland, DC or Northern Virginia area successfully Flashed their N54 with the BB software through the BT Cable? I would like to do this as I have some timing issues I was hoping the Flash would resolve but am a flash noob.
    Click here to enlarge
    '07 E90 335i AW 6MT Sport & Comfort Pkgs
    MODS: |COBB AP | CP-e | ER | Forge | DCI | KW V1 | M3 Sways | BBS CH | M3 Body Parts| MTech | CF Wrap Trim

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

At a minimum I'll request people show their logs, and preferrably put a charger on their car. Trying to write after a long ass read is just asking for a low battery. If someone bored would also compile a list of known rom types years and protocol that are having issues that would be cool.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    07 K Line car...

Long read (1hr 47min) last night. Started write process - estimated another almost two hours - died about 20 minutes or so...

OK. Now we have a 30 amp charger connected to the car. Charger says battery is 59% charged, but battery was tested at 12V before charger was connected.

Still unable to ID ECU after the failed write last night.

"Could not connect to the control module".

Log output:

155.5907 VehicleConnector.MicroCanAPI K2CP comamnd: 03 08 0B
    155.6565 VehicleConnector.MicroCanAPI ReadMessageK2CP: 04 08 01 0D
    155.6784 VehicleConnector.MicroCanAPI K2CP comamnd: 2C 0D 00 03 00 00 02 00 7F FF 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 F1 00 00 06 12 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF BC
    155.6794 VehicleConnector.MicroCanAPI ReadMessageK2CP: 03 0D 0E
    155.6915 VehicleConnector.DCAN Send: 10 81
    155.9366 VehicleConnector.MicroCanAPI K2CP comamnd: 08 11 01 00 00 15 00 0D
    155.9526 VehicleConnector.KLine Send: 1A 80

Car is dead for now...
    Last edited by mwahlert; 08-22-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Looks like we got it working. Combination of power cycling the car 100x, rebooting laptop, better charger, letting the car charge a while....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Nominal voltage on a six cell lead acid battery is 12.6 volts. If your battery is below this voltage, charge before attempting to flash. You will only be able to get a good read of the battery voltage after it has come to rest (no charging or discharging, car simply off and sitting) for a few hours.

Always use a charger when trying to communicate with the DME. No exceptions. I know some have had success without a charger connected but every commercial product which allows the end user to update the firmware requires the device to be plugged into a charger before flashing. Period.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Nominal voltage on a six cell lead acid battery is 12.6 volts. If your battery is below this voltage, charge before attempting to flash. You will only be able to get a good read of the battery voltage after it has come to rest (no charging or discharging, car simply off and sitting) for a few hours.

Always use a charger when trying to communicate with the DME. No exceptions. I know some have had success without a charger connected but every commercial product which allows the end user to update the firmware requires the device to be plugged into a charger before flashing. Period.

This. Can't stress enough the charger. Car may seem fine but when battery is insufficient it causes problems.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All right, I finally got it to work.
    The info about the charger was good. instead of keeping it at 2 amps like previously I put it at its max of 35.
    I plugged it in before I put key in the car, and it did tell me the battery is full.
    I started the read, and the charger turned on and gave me almost 20 amps for a little bit and then settled at about 10 amps for the rest of the read.
    My second fix was a new laptop. My first try was a core 2 dell, that took 3 hrs to read. I then tried an I5 dell... that would not even pull my voltage or ecu information at the same time. So finally today I got ahold of an AMD Athlon laptop.
    THAT WORKED FIRST TIME! pulled everything on the ID ECU, and did the full read in about 60 minutes.
    I turned the car off, left the charger on. patched the file, and then uploaded it in less than 10 minutes. The charger sat at about 19 amps through the whole write process.

Thanks again everyone helping out!!

as far as the stage one goes, I did not feel a whole lot of change in the butt dyno. Its probably time for a walnut blast and plugs anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Glad to hear.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge

So do both the Cobb unit and the Open Flash Tablet require a battery charger for flashing? I'm still waiting for some proven maps to be posted before I try to flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdaddycane Click here to enlarge
    Has anyone in the Maryland, DC or Northern Virginia area successfully Flashed their N54 with the BB software through the BT Cable? I would like to do this as I have some timing issues I was hoping the Flash would resolve but am a flash noob.
    I have and I've also flashed another local's car. I'm btw Old Town and Mt. Vernon off of the GW Parkway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SLV335I Click here to enlarge
    So do both the Cobb unit and the Open Flash Tablet require a battery charger for flashing? I'm still waiting for some proven maps to be posted before I try to flash.
    They both suggest it. Cobb only takes 25-30 mins to install; that's read out stock values and replace with whatever map you choose, which is pretty incredible. I've heard OFT takes just as long as BBF to read out the bin and much longer to write (until they implement partial writes).
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    They both suggest it. Cobb only takes 25-30 mins to install; that's read out stock values and replace with whatever map you choose, which is pretty incredible. I've heard OFT takes just as long as BBF to read out the bin and much longer to write (until they implement partial writes).
    The only reason I ask is because all I keep reading this past week is problems reading and needing to buy or use a good car battery charger. I don't own one, so now I feel like I should buy one before trying this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

We like to keep our batteries at 13-14v when programming at all times. It's a general programming rule of thumb.

I know there is technically no guaranteed support with this software but if you guys want to seriously work out the minor kinks, you might want to think about starting a support sub section so you can have all the facts in one organized place. @Sticky

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    I know there is technically no guaranteed support with this software but if you guys want to seriously work out the minor kinks, you might want to think about starting a support sub section so you can have all the facts in one organized place
    There's a private development for that, thanks.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    There's a private development for that, thanks.
    However there are going to be these kinds of posts over and over. I second having another forum for community based customer issue resolution.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    However there are going to be these kinds of posts over and over. I second having another forum for community based customer issue resolution.
    I'll think about it.

Right now it isn't overwhelming.

Personally what I think is a priority right now is getting more files in the database.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    This was my initial though. Not somewhere to necessarily work on the issues but somewhere to compile all the known issues for your team to reference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Personally what I think is a priority right now is getting more files in the database.
    What kind of files do you need?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

What kind of files do you need?
    I don't even think we have all the stock bin's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

I don't even think we have all the stock bin's.
    Can you get a group of guys together so we can do a group read? Maybe 5 or so cars in a day depending on how long the reads take. I'd be happy to lend some time on a Saturday.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Can you get a group of guys together so we can do a group read? Maybe 5 or so cars in a day depending on how long the reads take. I'd be happy to lend some time on a Saturday.
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

If guys want to come down no problem I'm all for it. Just BBQ something up while we're there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Organize something.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

What's a get together without a BBQ? Let me see what I can put together. I'll keep you guys posted.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Who are we going to get to come out though?

I guess we could do a flash day. I could bring some shirts.

Plus I'm sure there would be a long line of people wanting to get my autograph.

And you're shop is down the street from Gintani so we can have my car stop by for an impromptu visit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast