Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DIY Horsepower Gains...

What mods would be good to help learn to work on the car (primarily easy/beginner level DIY stuff) that would increase HP and not cost a fortune to implement?

Maybe they could be sorted by an expense and difficulty rating if one were so inclined to go the extra mile? Click here to enlarge

TIA.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

DIY Tuning via OSF.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I'm ignoring adding a tune since it's not mechanical. A tune is the easiest/best bang for your $ no question about it. Mechanically speaking though....

Probably the easiest thing to start with is a dual cone intake. I no longer use one and prefer a Mr.5 style, but a basic dual cone intake is very easy to put on and is a good way to start learning how to turn wrenches under the hood. Very easy to do. You just need to see a walk through concerning removing the cowl/etc for ease of access. About $100.

After that you could probably step up to changing your spark plugs. It's not going to add horsepower so to speak but it'll get you more familiar with "engine stuff". You'll have to remove the cowl again, get used to it. Again, easy, but you'll want the special BMW compatible spark plug socket and a torque wrench. Counting buying a cheap torque wrench, the socket and plugs probably $150 depending on torque wrench bought.

Really the next step after this is FMIC. It's a much bigger job than the other things but doable and if you get a small FMIC no trimming is required. Still, you're into the boost system so you have to be prepared to troubleshoot for boost leaks afterwards. Not a bad idea to have a friend with you as you walk through this. About $400 up to whatever you want to spend.

Finally down pipes. PITA. $400ish up.

After those things you're into big $ stuff like turbos. Serious PITA, special tools, and experience required otherwise you are likely to kiss a lot of $ goodbye.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    DIY Tuning via OSF.
    Fully intend on doing that once I get/borrow a BT cable Click here to enlarge I was thinking more along the lines of manual labor type stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    I'm ignoring adding a tune since it's not mechanical. A tune is the easiest/best bang for your $ no question about it. Mechanically speaking though....

Probably the easiest thing to start with is a dual cone intake. I no longer use one and prefer a Mr.5 style, but a basic dual cone intake is very easy to put on and is a good way to start learning how to turn wrenches under the hood. Very easy to do. You just need to see a walk through concerning removing the cowl/etc for ease of access. About $100.

After that you could probably step up to changing your spark plugs. It's not going to add horsepower so to speak but it'll get you more familiar with "engine stuff". You'll have to remove the cowl again, get used to it. Again, easy, but you'll want the special BMW compatible spark plug socket and a torque wrench. Counting buying a cheap torque wrench, the socket and plugs probably $150 depending on torque wrench bought.

Really the next step after this is FMIC. It's a much bigger job than the other things but doable and if you get a small FMIC no trimming is required. Still, you're into the boost system so you have to be prepared to troubleshoot for boost leaks afterwards. Not a bad idea to have a friend with you as you walk through this. About $400 up to whatever you want to spend.

Finally down pipes. PITA. $400ish up.

After those things you're into big $ stuff like turbos. Serious PITA, special tools, and experience required otherwise you are likely to kiss a lot of $ goodbye.
    Perfect! Just the kind of thing I was looking for (although I definitely appreciate the reminder of the tuning Click here to enlarge )!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

I guess you could pull the heads and do your own headwork lol. There really isn't much or anything you can do for this car in terms of performance upgrades without buying mods.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

DCI EASY
    OCC FAIRLY EASY
    RB PCV EASY
    PLUGS/COILS EASY
    FMIC MODERATE
    INJECTORS MODERATE (NEEDS CODING VIA INPA)
    CATBACK EXHAUST FAIRLY EASY
    DP MODERATE (NOT EXACTLY REAL HARD JUST A PITA)
    TURBOS VERY DIFFICULT

I left costs out since they vary greatly. check FS threads for used parts. contact vendors directly for the best deals.
    2011 335is DCT, collecting parts....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Basic maintenance, like oil change, trans fluid change, air filter, spark plugs could be DIY type stuff. Maintenance will keep your car running well. After that you can do flash or piggy since it should be fairly easy (have not tried the flash with BT cable) and maybe Alpina flash (auto only). You can even try tackling walnut blast, but in my case cost of equipment + time to do it, was not worth it since independent shop was charging only $300.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by litxus Click here to enlarge
    Basic maintenance, like oil change, trans fluid change, air filter, spark plugs could be DIY type stuff.
    Wish I would've changed that trans fluid before it all leaked out and the tranny ate itself and I had to get a new one. Click here to enlarge How can you even check that in a 335?

maybe Alpina flash (auto only)
    Done, thanks entirely to Wedge1967. Makes a HUGE difference !

You can even try tackling walnut blast
    I'll have to look that up... seen mention of it before, but not sure what it actually does.

Maybe the oil change would be a good place to start... I've probably never seen the underside of a car and don't know where the oil pan is (hey... at least I know it's called an oil pan! It is called an oil pan, right...?) Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Walnut blast is a bit of a PITA. It's cleaning your intake valves. It involves taking off the cowl (again, told you to get used to it), pulling your intake, charge pipe, diverter valves, disconnecting a bunch of wires/sensors, removing your intake manifold, using a quick connect switch to position the engine such that the valves are closed on the particular cylinder you're working on, using special bmw adapter tools to simultaneously hook up a vacuum cleaner and a walnut media blaster to get rid of the ridiculous carbon build up that occurs on our intake valves. Then put it all back together.

No part of it is particularly hard, but there are a lot of steps and I would say it's a hassle. You could do it for sure but you'll need an air compressor, etc and about $100 of BMW tools. I would recommend you do this with a bud that has done it before, unless you're mechanically inclined. I've done my car and a few others. Takes a few hours if you're going at a futzing around pace. If you're in the AZ area I could help you with this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    It involves taking off the cowl (again, told you to get used to it)

One mod could be Terry's new filters.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

It's gonna be for me, for sure. The cowl isn't hard to take off but after about 6 million times of doing it, it's just irritating.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm in upstate NY and a quick learner, but one who's never done a damned thing on any car ever... Click here to enlarge

Plus, I don't learn well by reading instructions... much better by doing it myself with someone there showing me how.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Best gains are in a tune.

I mean you could do your own filter I guess but one you start looking into that it makes more sense to just buy an intake with filter.

Really DIY stuff should be installing mods you aren't going to create your own hardware.

Once again though the tune is the most important part anyway and where you will see the most gains so...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBall Click here to enlarge
    I'm in upstate NY and a quick learner, but one who's never done a damned thing on any car ever... Click here to enlarge

Plus, I don't learn well by reading instructions... much better by doing it myself with someone there showing me how.
    I can show you how to order parts online I guess?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I can show you how to order parts online I guess?
    Click here to enlarge

I meant the whole turning wrenches part... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2053 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBall Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I meant the whole turning wrenches part... Click here to enlarge
    Yes I know I was poking fun at you because you need a reason to turn the wrenches first.