Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

direct injector ticking

I recall a friends 07 tuned car had a lot of ticking. but my 08 untuned has none.
    just wondering if its tune related or was it fixed with injector recall?
    anyone have this noise tuned or not?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Is the engine cowl installed on both?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

My 07 ticks a lot! People say "sounds like you have a lifter tick man". But I was under the impression (mechanic told me) that is just the noise direct injection makes.

Was he right? I think so...
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

but my 08 doesn't have it. could it be tune related?
    why would the cowl be removed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

cowl always on, no tune at all (yet).
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My ticking got louder when I took the factory airbox and replaced with a DCI. It's noticeably louder with the cowl off. And it's really loud with the cowl and the engine cover off! All these observations are all with no tune, 08 335xi coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

It's not a quiet engine.

Additionally, and please don't discount this, the closer you pay attention the more "noise" your engine will seem to make. Just wait until you do something like forged pistons, your engine could be healthy as a horse and you'll go nuts listening to all the noises that you just never noticed before. When I put forged pistons in my Subaru every odd noise I heard, every whiff of burning oil/coolant while stopped in traffic had me convinced it was ready to give up the ghost. It couldn't be the old beater smoking in front of me, gotta be my car, lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    It's not a quiet engine.

Additionally, and please don't discount this, the closer you pay attention the more "noise" your engine will seem to make. Just wait until you do something like forged pistons, your engine could be healthy as a horse and you'll go nuts listening to all the noises that you just never noticed before. When I put forged pistons in my Subaru every odd noise I heard, every whiff of burning oil/coolant while stopped in traffic had me convinced it was ready to give up the ghost. It couldn't be the old beater smoking in front of me, gotta be my car, lol.
    I know EXACTLY what you mean. Since the car was in and out of the shop multiple times the first 6 months after I bought it, I am always listening, smelling, looking for something to be wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

I was the same way for a while, always thinking my car was going to have a issue. The n54 is just a loud engine, ticking, rpms jump, etc, but it rips. Op - if your buddy had his cowl off you would have noticed the ticking more, that's the point. If he's tuned, he may have left the cowl off so he could access everything easier, some people do that.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit