Close

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Fack! Now im thinking I should go to the MT-L instead of MT-90...I hate making decisions
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I tried MT-90 a few months ago when it was a little colder and found that it just took too long to warm up and get smooth, I switched out to MTL and found it to have the same feel when warm and heat up noticeably faster. Not sure if it's the clutch, UUC DSSR or the fluid but I noticed that normal shifting is a little stiffer than before and 5th gear gives a slight kick back going in on slow shifts. As for noise with a Stell SMFW I haven't noticed any reduction between any of the fluids it's all just as noticeable.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    I tried MT-90 a few months ago when it was a little colder and found that it just took too long to warm up and get smooth, I switched out to MTL and found it to have the same feel when warm and heat up noticeably faster. Not sure if it's the clutch, UUC DSSR or the fluid but I noticed that normal shifting is a little stiffer than before and 5th gear gives a slight kick back going in on slow shifts. As for noise with a Stell SMFW I haven't noticed any reduction between any of the fluids it's all just as noticeable.
    Out of curiosity what is 'a little colder' in Texas?

This is my worry as it might take too long to warm up or be a pain to drive in the winter. I like to drive the car in the winter on the days that aren't bad. Usually it stays in the garage but I do take it out...

Interesting to hear the FW chatter is still just as bad. I was going to try the UUC cocktail but the guy earlier in this thread said it was so bad he got rid of it and the 1 to 2 shift was bad iirc.

Still looking for a way to permanently raise my idle. If I raise the idle to 800-900 I think it will eliminate the chatter almost altogether. Also should make engaging the clutch easier...but it honestly isn't that bad with the clutch broken in and cvd.
    E92 Bren Tune
    E91 Stock
    E90 PTF Tune

Mod lists are for the weak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

It was in the mid to high 30's at the time. Do synthetic fluids follow the same pattern as normal gear oil where it's really stiff the first 5-10K miles or so and then feel normal.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    It was in the mid to high 30's at the time. Do synthetic fluids follow the same pattern as normal gear oil where it's really stiff the first 5-10K miles or so and then feel normal.
    @brusk Not from what ive read/heard...It seems that gear oil should feel normal within 500 miles or so...not 5-10k...This isnt from anecdotal or personal experience though so take it for what its worth...Just from what I read

Ive done more research on Redline MT-L and essentially its just a thinner, less viscous version of MT-90....Similar to what D6 is compared to D4

There is even a Redline MT-85 that falls in between the MT-L and MT-90 in regards to viscosity...

Since your from Texas I'm pretty sure we might have similar climates and characteristics...I am going to skip out on the MT-90 for now thanks to your help as well as the others above and either go with D4 or the MT-L..Most likely the MT-L
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I've dealt with FWD cars for so many years I never got to play with synthetics in a RWD until now. I know when I used to change my fluid it would suck when it was cold for the first few months until I got some miles and wear on it then I wouldn't even hardly notice. I'd forget all about it until I'd change fluid in something else and then be reminded of the hell I went through before.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

And what is wrong with the MT fluid BMW oem uses?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    And what is wrong with the MT fluid BMW oem uses?
    Most OEM cars now use a very light weight fluids or ATF. This helps with fuel mileage and cold weather feel but isn't very good at taking abuse. The thicker more protective fluids like Redline MT-90, MTL and even GM Synchromesh help with slamming gears and not getting any gear crunch. Some of this though is due to the additives in them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rooringhusky Click here to enlarge
    One of the guys earlier in this thread is what got me worried...sounds like similar climates to where im from:

But based on @Torgus and @rdeterman as well all the others guys prior...I think I might just go for MT-90 hahaha Click here to enlarge Thanks guys...Keep opinions coming if anyone else has additional experience...Thanks again
    I may have been mistaken about which fluid was used, but I'm fairly certain it was MT-90. Just an update after the winter, the fluid is way too viscous for cold temperatures (20 degrees and below). At these temps I could hardly shift at all, almost to the point of being a truly dangerous setup. Obviously these are extremely cold and rare temperatures for the most part, and the car behaved better at temps above the freezing point, though still noticeably tougher to shift until warmed up.

After speaking with the shop about my situation and feedback from others in the area using the same fluid, we've decided to swap to a slightly lighter fluid before next winter to help with the everyday ease in colder temperatures. Now that the weather is warming up around here, I'm thoroughly enjoying the feel of MT-90. I would recommend it, even with the previously mentioned difficulty getting into 1st while rolling. I've gotten used to it and adapted my driving style to compensate, usually opting for 2nd gear even at a creeping roll. I do find that it is possible to modulate the clutch and brake pedal to ease into 1st. Compared to the winter conditions, this one little quirk is no problem in exchange for the improved shifts in every other condition.
    '09 335 xdrive: JB4 G5 ISO / BMS DCI / BMS CDV / BMS Clutch Stop / ZHP Knob
    '07 Mustang GT/CS vert: Intake / Tune / Straight Pipes / Strut Brace
    '67 Jacobsen Tractor: Yardwork Toy...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

This stuff works awesome. I had the worst gear chatter from my SMFW and Stage 2+ clutch and now even that is 98% gone.

Another scary thing was that when I drained the original trans fluid only about 1 qt. came out. FYI. If you haven't checked you fluid yet, do so ASAP it may also be low causing you rattle and grinds..

Thanks Dzenno!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Picked up some MT90. Going to give it a try this weekend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Here is some information others may find useful within this thread....I contacted Redline to compare a few of their fluids they have available: D4, D6, MTL, MT-90

This was their response:

"Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, in your 335i with the N54 engine the MTF-LT-3 fluid is called for which crosses to the D6ATF.
    In most late model BMW manual transmissions MTF-LT-1 or -2 are specified which cross to the D4ATF, about 15% lower viscosity at operating temperature compared to the D6ATF. The MTL is a higher viscosity fluid use in many earlier BMW manual transmissions and favored by many in late model transmissions though the higher viscosity can cause stiffer shifting at lower temperatures with synchros designed for an ATF. The MT-90 is about three times the viscosity of D6ATF at lower temperatures, much higher than called for in any current BMW manual transmission which would lead to stiffer overall shifting in these ATF specified transmissions."

Regards, Dave
    Red Line Oil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

this is some helpful stuff, going to do mine soon. Redline FTW!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Follow up response:

"Based on the fluid original fluid specified the D6ATF would be recommended.
    As far as overall shiftability the D4ATF and D6ATF should be very similar.
    The D4 is about 15% higher viscosity than the D6 at operating temperature, the reply should have said.
    Some prefer the overall feel of the MTL in these transmissions.

Regards, Dave
    Red Line Oil"

He doesn't recommend the MT-90 at all by the way. Its more recommended for much older BMW Manual Transmissions. Just a heads up to everyone!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

my car uses the same manual trans as the 335i.. anyone try this and get good results?
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    thought i would add my 2c on this i changed out to mt90 probably 8 months ago and then changed clutch soon after . i have had a problem with first being a pain to engage while rolling and sometimes even at a stop. thought this was all due to the clutch swap. so today decided to change out the mt90 for the d4 as a few guys here said they liked it and worked well for them . must say all is good now shifting is smooth and no more first gear issues .i would recommend if changing out the fluid go with the d4 instead of the mt90 .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cwarren Click here to enlarge
    thought i would add my 2c on this i changed out to mt90 probably 8 months ago and then changed clutch soon after . i have had a problem with first being a pain to engage while rolling and sometimes even at a stop. thought this was all due to the clutch swap. so today decided to change out the mt90 for the d4 as a few guys here said they liked it and worked well for them . must say all is good now shifting is smooth and no more first gear issues .i would recommend if changing out the fluid go with the d4 instead of the mt90 .
    i mean i don't see anyone having much of an issue with MT90, either way i really need to know which one is better so i can pull the trigger already. my trans has been getting rougher and rougher lately..
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

there is no" better" if you running red line fluid . its all a viscosity issue one is thicker than the other if you live in a hot climate and run car hard mt 90 may work well for you. but fwiw if its cold in your neck of the woods i would not suggest using the mt90 fluid

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

well right now it's pretty hot but i drive my car when it gets cold so I'd rather use a thinner fluid
    '08 535xi - fbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Bump again.

So back last summer I switched out to MT90. To be honest I really don't like it, its very notchy to shift and at times when shifting fast I would encounter a gear grind even at times still grind not shifting fast but will happen when the oil has not warmed up. As for warming up well living in Boston that was the worst, as soon as the fall hits it takes forever to warm up.

I have read that Royal Purple breaks down easily, Amsoil does not have anything for our cars but some do compare their MTG to the MT90 and like it better so thinking this could be worth a shot has anybody tired it? Also there is a MT90/MTL 50/50 mix that people tend to like as well. Also I have never had a problem with shifting from 1st to 2nd, and thinking about going to D6ATF. Just wanted to get some more reviews now that people have had this for some time and what are some other alternatives.
    2008 AW 6MT | Hexon RR550 | Supporting mods and such

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who has trouble getting into 2nd. I've had the D6 sitting on a shelf in my garage for a couple weeks so I'm going to go ahead and put that in now. See how that goes for a while and then maybe I'll try the MT90

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mindovaanything Click here to enlarge
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who has trouble getting into 2nd. I've had the D6 sitting on a shelf in my garage for a couple weeks so I'm going to go ahead and put that in now. See how that goes for a while and then maybe I'll try the MT90
    I switched to MT90 earlier this summer and will never look back. I LOVE it. I used to have a grind issue banging 2nd gear at the strip, this completely fixed it. Coupled w/ the Rogue trans mounts, 3rd - 2nd is smooth as butter also.

No notchiness either after 5min of driving. I let my car heat up a bit anyway for oil temps, by that time the trans oil is usually ready to rock as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona Click here to enlarge
    I switched to MT90 earlier this summer and will never look back. I LOVE it. I used to have a grind issue banging 2nd gear at the strip, this completely fixed it. Coupled w/ the Rogue trans mounts, 3rd - 2nd is smooth as butter also.

No notchiness either after 5min of driving. I let my car heat up a bit anyway for oil temps, by that time the trans oil is usually ready to rock as well.
    So do you think am I wasting time putting in the D6? Should I just try to sell or exchange it for the MT90?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mindovaanything Click here to enlarge
    So do you think am I wasting time putting in the D6? Should I just try to sell or exchange it for the MT90?
    Yes I would go straight to the MT90

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

I have MT-90 in the shop car, smooth as butter, but this is Cali, if you have a SMFW going to anything lighter than MT-90 you are going to have a LOT of tranny rattle, I am actually going to be swapping out the MT-90 for a cocktail that supposed to help the tranny rattle as it has gotten a little annoying lately

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast