Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome. We have a winner it looks like.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So what's the consensus here? GM syncromesh with friction modifier or Redline MT? I swapped my fluid a little while ago but can't remember what I switched to. All I know is I still get an occasional grind and the pedal feel isn't great during the winter. Looking to find something that won't have the 1-2 grind and will be better in the winter
    Click here to enlarge < Click picture for photoshoot
    E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
    Mods: JB4 + MHD, Doc Race ST, Pure 6266, AD-Eng PI/Mounts, Fuel-It st. 3, Custom Exhaust, Tuned by TwistedTuning
    More Pictures: Build Thread /// Dyno Soon to Come

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great find Dzenno, 2 qrts are on their way and should be here this weekend.The 1-2 shift at the dragstrip was really bad for me, the only way to get into 2nd was to baby it (granny shifting) not double clutching like you should. I will be re-visiting the drag strip next week and let you guys know how it does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by continue5 Click here to enlarge
    Great find Dzenno, 2 qrts are on their way and should be here this weekend.The 1-2 shift at the dragstrip was really bad for me, the only way to get into 2nd was to baby it (granny shifting) not double clutching like you should. I will be re-visiting the drag strip next week and let you guys know how it does.
    Cool! Let us know how it goes
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I suggest changing the fluids twice to get all of the old stuff out.

I was still having a few 1/2 problems after my first change to Royal Purple Syncro. Changed it a 2nd time a few hundred miles later and it's been perfect since.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    so getting the transmission checked over for wear and cleaned out... then it'll be living on a diet of pure MT-90

thanks for the protip dzenno Click here to enlarge
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I wanted to update everyone on my experience with this. First of all I am not a mechanic and don't consider myself knowledgable on this stuff like some of you guys out there. However, I have been driving manual transmission cars for 23 years. I had used GM syncromesh in my 2006 Acura TL 6MT and was extremely satisfied over the stock transmission fluid. My short experience (only drove it about 50 miles so far) with this oil is very similar. Gear changes are very smooth. The notchy feel from 1st to 2nd gear is 100% improved. I also have UUC short shifter and DSSR in my car. Let me put it this way, If someone took my car and replaced the factory oil with the redline and didn't tell me anything about it, I feel like I would still notice the difference. Thanks Dzenno for your receommendation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gogunbaba Click here to enlarge
    I wanted to update everyone on my experience with this. First of all I am not a mechanic and don't consider myself knowledgable on this stuff like some of you guys out there. However, I have been driving manual transmission cars for 23 years. I had used GM syncromesh in my 2006 Acura TL 6MT and was extremely satisfied over the stock transmission fluid. My short experience (only drove it about 50 miles so far) with this oil is very similar. Gear changes are very smooth. The notchy feel from 1st to 2nd gear is 100% improved. I also have UUC short shifter and DSSR in my car. Let me put it this way, If someone took my car and replaced the factory oil with the redline and didn't tell me anything about it, I feel like I would still notice the difference. Thanks Dzenno for your receommendation.
    Click here to enlarge

I'm yet to grind or get locked out on a WOT/NLS shift with this gear oil. It is literally night and day.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump any of you guys using the GM Syncromesh have any updates? I want to do the redline but am worried about how it will do in the cold being that my car is a DD so it will be driven in the winter
    E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
    Mods: JB4 + MHD, Doc Race ST, Pure 6266, AD-Eng PI/Mounts, Fuel-It st. 3, Custom Exhaust, Tuned by TwistedTuning

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by psmith95 Click here to enlarge
    Bump any of you guys using the GM Syncromesh have any updates? I want to do the redline but am worried about how it will do in the cold being that my car is a DD so it will be driven in the winter
    I used GM syncromesh in my 06 ACURA TL and loved it. I have no experience with it on my 335i. So far per my experience with Redline is it takes sometime in the morning for it to be butter smooth but then once it is warmed up, it is great. I also haven't tried in a weather cooler than 70 degrees so far.
    Spec2+ Clutch, SS SMFW, BMS backend flash, VRSF DPs, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP - Tial BOV, N20 3.5 Bar map sensor, BMS OCC, Walbro 255, Wavetrac LSD, Defiv Diff. lockdown kit, UUC EVO3 and DSSR, AFE DCI, H&R Coilovers, M3 Front control arms, rear arms, rear subframe bushings, Rogue Engineering transmission mounts, Michelin PSS 265/35/18 - 235/40/18, Apex ARC-8.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gogunbaba Click here to enlarge
    I used GM syncromesh in my 06 ACURA TL and loved it. I have no experience with it on my 335i. So far per my experience with Redline is it takes sometime in the morning for it to be butter smooth but then once it is warmed up, it is great. I also haven't tried in a weather cooler than 70 degrees so far.
    Yea I think synchromesh might be the way to go but i'm waiting to hear from some of the guys that have run it in their 335i and in cold weather. I don't remember what fluid I have in there now but in winter it takes a bit to warm up and it didn't solve the 1-2 grind

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was previously running GM synchromesh with Friction modifier, just switched to the Redline MT90 and it feels the same during normal driving. I just did some NLS's, and it feels marginally better. Honestly hard to tell a difference. I don't think you can go wrong with either fluid.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I was previously running GM synchromesh with Friction modifier, just switched to the Redline MT90 and it feels the same during normal driving. I just did some NLS's, and it feels marginally better. Honestly hard to tell a difference. I don't think you can go wrong with either fluid.
    Thanks for the info! How long were you running the GM and did you ever run it in cold temps? That's the only thing that is really making me not want to do the Redline. I will be driving every day and in winter it can get down to the 20's. With my current fluid (again can't remember what brand) it's not awful but does feel notchy with a spongy feeling pedal during winter until its warmed up

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    tried mt90 today so far so good my car use to grind badly on wot from 1st to 2nd. went for a couple of runs and no grind wooooo!!!, will test it out a bit more tomorrow and update

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by psmith95 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the info! How long were you running the GM and did you ever run it in cold temps? That's the only thing that is really making me not want to do the Redline. I will be driving every day and in winter it can get down to the 20's. With my current fluid (again can't remember what brand) it's not awful but does feel notchy with a spongy feeling pedal during winter until its warmed up
    I had the GMSM in over the past winter, granted we are talking about a Florida winter, but i did see temps get down to low 30* and it seemed fine to me. GMSM is pretty thin stuff.

Also of note, i put in the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts last night and the trans feels much more solid. I haven't done any 1-2nd gear shifts yet, but i suspect that the mounts will help greatly in transmission shift during acceleration.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also of note, i put in the Rogue Engineering transmission mounts last night and the trans feels much more solid. I haven't done any 1-2nd gear shifts yet, but i suspect that the mounts will help greatly in transmission shift during acceleration.
    Just FYI, my UUC black rubber mounts broke last weekend. Both of them literally split right across! Junk! Rogue makes the same type..
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Just FYI, my UUC black rubber mounts broke last weekend. Both of them literally split right across! Junk! Rogue makes the same type..
    Great... well at least they were only 50 bucks. Glad i kept the stock ones....

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you think it's from the climate up there?
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nafoo Click here to enlarge
    Do you think it's from the climate up there?
    Climate in Toronto is really not as bad as some may think, especially last few years
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Climate in Toronto is really not as bad as some may think
    Maybe not to me, but to someone from Texas, it might as well be the North Pole.

I just bought the UUC Black mounts from ECS but I haven't put them on yet. What other options are there besides Rouge for a non-through bolt mount?

Also, what were you dong when they broke and do you have a picture of the failed mount?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To be honest I have no idea how/when exactly they broke. Putting on a set of our own solid tranny/engine mounts soon to test out and see how they work out and affect daily drivability. Right now back on OEMs. Hard shifts may have caused them to break.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the info!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Putting on a set of our own solid tranny/engine mounts soon to test out and see how they work out and affect daily drivability.
    What are they made of? I was just about to say you could always just make your own for small $$$.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I believe we can use the m3 mounts, which are stiffer. I have the black UUC also, but haven't been under the car to check them in awhile... if they are broken I'm not feeling any difference. I'll definitely check them soon. I'm not using the cups, did you DZ?

I've never had any difficulty with 1 to 2 shift... curious why the difference between cars. Not sure if mounts will make much difference as the gearshift is mounted to the tranny in the rear and will move with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had the GMSM in over the past winter, granted we are talking about a Florida winter, but i did see temps get down to low 30* and it seemed fine to me. GMSM is pretty thin stuff.

Ok I think I might try that stuff along with transmission mounts next time i'm in for maintenance stuff

Edit: Whoops just read the rest of the posts... Don't think i'll do transmission mounts now

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast