Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Thumbs up 6MT Drag Racers, heads up! :)

So, you're experiencing shift grind on very fast shifts? Hate the car when you can't shift into 2nd from a WOT 1st gear pull? I've got a solution for you! hehe

I'm sure many of you 6MT guys, especially drag racers, deal with the 1-2 shift grind or in most cases the gearbox not letting you shift into 2nd under WOT killing your times and making you hate what you love the most on this car, having a clutch a shifter, doing your own rev matching and revving it as high as you like without a TCU killing your fun early.

Change your gearbox oil to Red Line MT-90 75w-90. I've run the OEM tranny oil, had issues. Tried the Red Line D4 ATF, had issues, Red Line D6 ATF even worse to now the Red Line MT-90. We have a winner folks. I haven't had a single grind yet with NLS and I can finally manage to nail a full WOT quick/hard 1-2 shift. I wanted to try this oil for a long while now but held back on it way too long and I have no idea why. It doesn't solve this issue on just this platform but many others apparently as well.

Click here to enlarge

Have fun!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pretty sure my buddy runs that in his FI 370z with the notoriously bad Nissan syncros and has had great luck with it... good stuff
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm running GM synchromesh with friction modifier, i've had no issues either.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    Pretty sure my buddy runs that in his FI 370z with the notoriously bad Nissan syncros and has had great luck with it... good stuff
    Always use GL-4 oil in Nissan manual transmissions. I've read multiple reasons including certain GL-5 oils eating the yellow metal synchros (though this may be true only of older GL-5 oils - new ones seem to have a component to prevent this), and the GL-4 having a special formulation for synchro engagement.

I've used Redline MT-90 in my Nissan manuals before, and it is great stuff. Amsoil also makes a GL-4 oil (MTG). I used it as well with good results.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Red Line D4 and D6 ATF gear oils are also GL-4 but only the MT-90 takes care of the issues described.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    • 75W90 GL-4 gear oil (similar to SAE 5W40/10W40 engine oil viscosity)
    • Popular in Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi, VW/Audi, Lotus Elise/Exige, Toyota
    • Offers quicker shifts, perfect synchronizer coefficient of friction
    • Safe for brass synchros, as it lacks the reactive sulfurs found in most GL-5 oils that cause damage
    • High performance gear protection and longer synchro life
    • Eliminates notchy shifting, even when cold
    • Satisifies the gear oil viscosity requirements of 75W, 80W and motor oil viscosities of SAE 40, 10W40, and 15W40
    • Recommended for GL-1, GL-3, and GL-4 applications, as well as where most special synchromesh fluids are specified
    ABOUT RED LINE GEAR OIL FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS
    • Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)
    • Red Line offers lubricants to pinpoint nearly every transmission application
    • MTL, MT-85 & MT-90 are not for use in differentials with hypoid gears
    • Excellent gear and synchro protection, balanced slipperiness for easier shifting in cold climates
    • Excellent for high- and low-mile transmissions
    • Compatible with petroleums and other synthetics
    ALSO AVAILABLE FROM OUR DEALERS
    • 50304 - MT-90 75W90 GL-4 - quart
    • 50305 - MT-90 75W90 GL-4 - gallon
    • 50306 - MT-90 75W90 GL-4 - 5 gallon
    • 50307 - MT-90 75W90 GL-4 - 16 gallon
    • 50308 - MT-90 75W90 GL-4 - 55 gallon
    TYPICAL PROPERTIES
    API Service Class GL 4
    SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil) 15W40
    SAE Viscosity Grade (Gear Oil) 75W90
    Vis @ 100C, cSt 15.6
    Vis @ 40C, cSt 90
    Viscosity Index 185
    Pour Point, C -45
    Pour Point, F -49
    Flash Point, C 240
    Flash Point, F 465
    Brookfield Viscosity @ -40C, Poise 320
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    MT-90 is pretty good stuff. I used it in my old car and it was excellent.

One issue though: If you live in the cold climate, this fluid becomes super stiff when cold, so you need to be extremely patience in the winter when you first drive off and want to shift from 1st to 2nd. Once the fluid warms up, it is smoother.
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    MT-90 is pretty good stuff. I used it in my old car and it was excellent.

One issue though: If you live in the cold climate, this fluid becomes super stiff when cold, so you need to be extremely patience in the winter when you first drive off and want to shift from 1st to 2nd. Once the fluid warms up, it is smoother.
    Most people find GM syncromesh to perform the same as the redline but works great in the cold.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I'm running GM synchromesh with friction modifier, i've had no issues either.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster3500 Click here to enlarge
    Most people find GM syncromesh to perform the same as the redline but works great in the cold.
    You guys suck! Click here to enlarge this was discussed a bunch of times before and no one every mentioned a good alternative until now. @lulz_m3, did you actually manage to do butter smooth 1-2 WOT shifts with the GM stuff consistently?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've heard some other cars using a mix of MT90 and either MTL or Syncromesh to get added protection and smooth engagement when it's cold.

How many quarts does our trans take?
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Red Line D4 and D6 ATF gear oils are also GL-4 but only the MT-90 takes care of the issues described.
    I see now GL-4 is a specification for gear oil, not transmission oil. I guess that is why D4 and D6 can claim GL-4 levels of gear protection, but that doesn't tell the whole story because other parts are present in the synchromesh transmission.

Take a look at these viscosity numbers:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9
    http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=30704

D4 is thicker than D6 (7.5 vs. 6.4 cSt @ 100C) but MT-90 is 15.6 cSt @ 100C! I suspect the large increase in viscosity is what is improving shift performance.

It's my understanding ATF is used in manual transmissions for fuel efficiency, not shift performance. I'm really not surprised a real MT gear oil like MT-90 gives better performance under drag strip conditions.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You guys suck! Click here to enlarge this was discussed a bunch of times before and no one every mentioned a good alternative until now. @lulz_m3, did you actually manage to do butter smooth 1-2 WOT shifts with the GM stuff consistently?
    Mostly Click here to enlarge Every once in awhile i will miss it, but i blame that on driver error.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Mostly Click here to enlarge Every once in awhile i will miss it, but i blame that on driver error.
    OMG, i'm blocking you from all my future advice threads haha you suck for not mentioning it!!!! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OMG, i'm blocking you from all my future advice threads haha you suck for not mentioning it!!!! Click here to enlarge
    haha my bad man, sorry Click here to enlarge It gets tough posting up opinions in here sometimes, too many chiefs; not enough Indians.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good advice, the car is a pain on the 1-2 shift. I love redline and synchromesh, but wouldn't have thought to use them in a bimmer, I kinda expected bmw to have their stuff together. Good info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Seriously coulda used this advice on my old 2008 XI. That thing sucked on the 1-2 shift from brand new when I first picked it up. I tried the redline MTL and it didn't help but I didn't want to go to crazy with oils on it.

I did think about adding some friction modifier back then but the thought of potentially toasting (or causing to whine) the trans on a $50k car gave me pause.

Had someone mentioned this back then, that they tried it and it didn't toast the trans, I would have certainly given it a try. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @dzenno@PTF good advice. I actually kept complaining about my transmission until BMW agreed to install a new one for me!! now I was to start off with a good oil.
    How along have you ran MT-90? I had D4-ATF on my previous N54 MT and it was great!
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    one more thing, I understand that it is easier to shift. and so it was with D4 ATF. The downside, for me at least was that it took much less effort to go between gears, while I prefer firm changes.
    How does this oil compare?
    SOLD --'07 E90 335i, PTF COBB E50, HFS4, ER CP, ETS 7", AA DP, Vishnu Exhaust, DCI, ACT, Nitto Nt555

'10 E92 335i M, 6MT COBB v3, ER IC, ER CP, VRSF DP, Fuel-it st2
    installing soon: Mfactory LSD, , powerflex subrframe bushings

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The change in regular driving from D6 ATF that I had just before this is minimal. The change is night/day though during hard fast shifts. I've had it in the car for a week now and I can't be happier.

I do have a UUC Evo3 SSK with their DSSR rod on my car too so the shifter is firm and shifts are notchiner than with the OEM shifter. I may also try the OEM shifter to see if it improves even further.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The change in regular driving from D6 ATF that I had just before this is minimal. The change is night/day though during hard fast shifts. I've had it in the car for a week now and I can't be happier.

I do have a UUC Evo3 SSK with their DSSR rod on my car too so the shifter is firm and shifts are notchiner than with the OEM shifter. I may also try the OEM shifter to see if it improves even further.
    Would love to hear feedback on the stock vs UUC. I bought mine a year ago but stalled on putting it in as some people complained that it made 1-2 shift more difficult.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been thinking of pulling it out and swapping back to the OEM shifter after those reports but it may have just all been related to the gearbox in the end as I've since learned of some OEM shifter guys having the same issue with the OEM fluid.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's pretty thick at 15.X cSt. Be sure to report back in 5k km and let us know how it is after some heat cycles. I'll give it a shot next spring anyway though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nah I'll keep quiet about it like @lulz_m3 LOL fuc*in' guy heh
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    Would love to hear feedback on the stock vs UUC. I bought mine a year ago but stalled on putting it in as some people complained that it made 1-2 shift more difficult.
    It's been about 2 years since I returned my 08 335xi but the only thing the UUC really did was shorten up the throw a bit without increasing shift effort.

I tried one of the other BMW OEM shifter poles that drop in which was shorter but the geometry works against you and the shift effort increases as the throw shortens a bit. The UUC allows you to adjust the height to your liking and their geometry is better so the shift is shorter but not really much more effort.

The UUC shifter is not that hard to drop in or remove- just notch the bottom of the UUC's pivot cup to leave a little opening for a long screwdriver to jam the e-clip onto the bottom of the pole and you can install the whole thing from inside the car (no trans exhaust/trans lowering required). If you're going to do the DSSR this won't help though as you'll need to access the trans top to remove the retaining clip on the selector rod where it meets the trans.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been thinking of pulling it out and swapping back to the OEM shifter after those reports but it may have just all been related to the gearbox in the end as I've since learned of some OEM shifter guys having the same issue with the OEM fluid.
    kinda OT, but, i've read a LOT of bad stuff about UUC (as well as a lot of good stuff)... their SSK really is a decent bit of gear?.. i'd really like a shorter shifter.
    boop

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast