Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Lowest pressure drop FMIC? I live in Colorado...

I've looked but have not found what I am looking for. I am sure I am just searching like a retard, but either way, your help is much appreciated.

I'm sure almost any one I buy will be fine for IAT, but pressure drop worries me since high altitude sucks!

This is not a track car, just a daily driver that will be tuned soon(ish).

Thanks!
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I know this sounds like an "e90 post" type question, but people seem to be smarter over here.

I think this is a legit question.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

From what I found in my research when I was looking at FMIC's there was a more significant difference in quality of intercooler associated with IAT drops than difference in flow. Most seemed to flow pretty well, especially the ones that can be coupled with a an aftermarket chargepipe to replace entire chargeline, like ER, ETS, Helix and Cobb are also awesome FMIC's. You probably won't notice much difference from FMIC to FMIC in relation to pressure drop.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I don't think anyone has performed flowbenches on all the available intercoolers to really tell for sure, so I don't think you will find precisely what you are wanting.

The pressure drop tests of several ICs (granted, some by the manufacturer) seem to show they are all worlds better than stock. That's expected with a large bar and plate IC compared to a factory tube and fin design. Your best bet is probably something with the highest cross section (thickest core) with endtanks that form very smoothly into the couplers.

Not sure your correlation between being at high altitude and that requiring the lowest pressure drop is correct to begin with, either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I have read this, very informative stuff. The end tank design portion makes a lot of sense, which is why I probably won't buy some cheap ebay special.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Freon Click here to enlarge
    I don't think anyone has performed flowbenches on all the available intercoolers to really tell for sure, so I don't think you will find precisely what you are wanting.

The pressure drop tests of several ICs (granted, some by the manufacturer) seem to show they are all worlds better than stock. That's expected with a large bar and plate IC compared to a factory tube and fin design. Your best bet is probably something with the highest cross section (thickest core) with endtanks that form very smoothly into the couplers.

Not sure your correlation between being at high altitude and that requiring the lowest pressure drop is correct to begin with, either.
    I was under the impression (I could easily be wrong) that since I already have lower atmospheric pressure than those at sea level, that losing pressure from intake to throttle body was a bigger concern.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW Click here to enlarge
    I was under the impression (I could easily be wrong) that since I already have lower atmospheric pressure than those at sea level, that losing pressure from intake to throttle body was a bigger concern.
    Hmmm look at it this way, if the intercooler has less flow and less pressure drop, then less air altogether is passing through it. I don't think that would help in any situation. I live in low elevation, so couldn't test this if I wanted to, but I would be willing to bet you are not gaining anything by having a more restrictive FMIC, I just don't see how in any way that would help. You are losing out because of less pressure pushing air into the intake, no FMIC is going to compensate for that. What you need is a custom tune.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Didn't we just have this discussion days ago?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

The smallest core with the most efficient design will win for pressure drop (bar and plate with nice end tanks, smooth transitions internally in the core, etc).

But you should still be concerned with IAT if you are using pump gas, even in colorado... your fans will be making a LOT of hot air up there because their effiency is going to be hella low. I grew up in the springs and denver.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    The smallest core with the most efficient design will win for pressure drop (bar and plate with nice end tanks, smooth transitions internally in the core, etc).

But you should still be concerned with IAT if you are using pump gas, even in colorado... your fans will be making a LOT of hot air up there because their effiency is going to be hella low. I grew up in the springs and denver.
    So like the 5" ETS? Or any other suggestions?

And when it comes to IAT, I just figured any IC would be a drastic improvement over stock. I will be on pump gas for awhile (debating a future with E85 blends).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

....debating a future with E85 blends....
    That debate should be a short one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

AMS is one of the most efficient for pressure drop. ETS is pretty good for pressure drop too IIRC.

So like the 5" ETS? Or any other suggestions?

And when it comes to IAT, I just figured any IC would be a drastic improvement over stock. I will be on pump gas for awhile (debating a future with E85 blends).
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, DCI, 7" FMIC, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

I don't think you can find accurate published stats to compare scientifically, but AMS and ETS both seem good. The VRSF 5" comes in behind or similar probably but marginally I'd think.

The larger cores probably have a fraction of a psi more drop, maybe .5 max, but would cool much better. Not a big deal for e85 but pump for sure. Honestly though even a big (decent) core with bar and plate setup will have less drop than stock. A smaller core well have less drop substantially but only cool marginally better, tube/fin (stock) while restrictive at high boost does a much better job cooling for a given cross sectional area.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

thank you for your inputs. So apparently i am looking at the equation incorrectly.
    From those of you that know, at higher altitudes, what should I really be for? Pressure, flow, etc etc?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Go with a "traditional" square, FMIC with proper end tanks -- AMS, ER or ETS. The Helix, COBB & Wagner are all stepped design and have marginally higher pressure drops
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

At high altitude it's hard. You need intake work, best you can find. Exhaust helps too, but less than at low altitude. For intercooler... lowest pressure drop you can find that can sustain your boost pressure heat characteristics. On pump, that means you'll probably want a bigger core. On e85 smaller is fine.

Added together you still won't be sea level power and your turbos will still be working double time, but you'll be in a much happier place. Fwiw- my car didn't like 17+ psi above 6-7k feet. The turbos were making noises I never heard on 19psi at sea level (midrange, that is). Good luck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    At high altitude it's hard. You need intake work, best you can find. Exhaust helps too, but less than at low altitude. For intercooler... lowest pressure drop you can find that can sustain your boost pressure heat characteristics. On pump, that means you'll probably want a bigger core. On e85 smaller is fine.

Added together you still won't be sea level power and your turbos will still be working double time, but you'll be in a much happier place. Fwiw- my car didn't like 17+ psi above 6-7k feet. The turbos were making noises I never heard on 19psi at sea level (midrange, that is). Good luck!
    Thank you all for your insight. Let's hope a VRSF or ETS plus a Cobb PTF protune make this little beast happier up in this thin air.