Close

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

0 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This is why you can't help people. It's never enough for them.

Guys have been testing and working their tails off and it's 'oh give me more' as if they are owed something for free. Getting sick of the entitlement attitude.
    You'd get less flack if you hadn't posted so many attacks against shiv's falsely "open source" project. But after toting the "open source" part of this as such a strong reason to support it over the "openflash" tablet, then the team releasing binaries with no source it leaves a lot of questions. No one is asking for anything you did not claim would be followed through on.

People are just wondering where the "open source" part really is, what the license will really look like, etc. There are certainly questionable "open source" licenses out there, like Microsoft's Windows source program of yore. If it is Creative Commons, Share-a-like, Non-Commercial, etc. then that would be very reasonable...

I saw this happen already with OpenECU. ECUFlash source was never released... Lots of excuses for a while, and it kinda blew over. Still no source to this day, ~8 years later. It worked and opened the community up a lot, but really it was no different in terms of control over the ROMs and flasher source than shiv's tablet thing, which is what is being bashed so incredibly hard in every thread about this new "open source" flasher.

I'm really amazed at the level of cognitive dissonance that you maintain, Sticky. You should take a step back and look at your own actions and see if they qualify for the same attack you love to dish out.
    This is why you can't help people. It's never enough for them.
    I think people only expect follow through on the "open source" part of this. It's your words and your drum beating. There is no one to blame but yourself.

I'm hardly looking for handouts. I'd love to help. I even offered to help before with initial development, but it seems that help was turned down. I'd love to help at some point in the future even now, but I really think that should be withheld until the terms of the source released are discussed and source is actually released. Otherwise, this is just another shiv "open" flash project.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Freon Click here to enlarge
    Otherwise, this is just another shiv "open" flash project.
    You missed the part where this is FREE.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Are the android ports going to also require a BT cable?

Any plans on error code reading and resetting?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    People are just wondering where the "open source" part really is, what the license will really look like, etc. .
    What people are wondering? Software engineers, maybe those who got left out of the development, or pay for download vendors might be worrying for whatever reason. I believe that 99% of the users will just download the free app & give a rats ass about the "source code".

I like most other people use any number of freeware apps & have no access to the source code. Is that a problem or issue? NO
    Kevin
    2011 335is 7DCT/JB4 G5-ISO BMS Flash
    2013 135is 6MT - JB4 G5-ISO
    FF Cobra Mk-IV work in progress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    You missed the part where this is FREE.
    You really think he missed that? Looks like an unhappy camper who missed the camp bus.
    Kevin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

You'd get less flack if you hadn't posted so many attacks against shiv's falsely "open source" project. But after toting the "open source" part of this as such a strong reason to support it over the "openflash" tablet, then the team releasing binaries with no source it leaves a lot of questions. No one is asking for anything you did not claim would be followed through on.

People are just wondering where the "open source" part really is, what the license will really look like, etc. There are certainly questionable "open source" licenses out there, like Microsoft's Windows source program of yore. If it is Creative Commons, Share-a-like, Non-Commercial, etc. then that would be very reasonable...

I saw this happen already with OpenECU. ECUFlash source was never released... Lots of excuses for a while, and it kinda blew over. Still no source to this day, ~8 years later. It worked and opened the community up a lot, but really it was no different in terms of control over the ROMs and flasher source than shiv's tablet thing, which is what is being bashed so incredibly hard in every thread about this new "open source" flasher.

I'm really amazed at the level of cognitive dissonance that you maintain, Sticky. You should take a step back and look at your own actions and see if they qualify for the same attack you love to dish out.

I think people only expect follow through on the "open source" part of this. It's your words and your drum beating. There is no one to blame but yourself.

I'm hardly looking for handouts. I'd love to help. I even offered to help before with initial development, but it seems that help was turned down. I'd love to help at some point in the future even now, but I really think that should be withheld until the terms of the source released are discussed and source is actually released. Otherwise, this is just another shiv "open" flash project.
    Just know this, the source will be released. Do you have anything against solutions whose source is not released while in EARLY beta phase?

I think you have quite a bit to contribute and I am excited to see what you can bring to the table. I also believe that much or most of what you can bring to the table will be within the BIN files themselves, rather than on the flasher. Outside of adding support for other cables there really isn't a whole lot more than needs to be done with this software. I think there is much that the community can evolve this project into. The source just isn't available right now until a waiting period is over. Once there has been an opportunity to squash all concerns of major bugs, made some modifications and or enhancements and the software matures even more into a well rounded and tested state ready for official release, you can expect the source then. This isn't however your typical freeware software when testing is as simple as passing it out to a few testers. There are lots of outside variables from host hardware to target rom types etc. So a public beta is really the only way to get the software tested. And while its in early beta form, there will be no source. I don't think that is asking too much, do you?
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MrBlah Click here to enlarge

My initial port will rely on the BT cable.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    I'm looking forward to this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Anything MSD80/81 will be supported by this software either now or in the future. That even includes that European N45 which I believe runs on that DME. Anything having to do with another DME will require totally different software. I'm sure certain knowledge can be shared, however is not within the scope of this software.
    So if i wanted to create a flasher for another ecu (im thinking older stuff but i know most people want to do the newer stuff) would this source code be beneficial in figuring out what to do or is it so different that it really wouldnt help?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bdtsulev Click here to enlarge
    So if i wanted to create a flasher for another ecu (im thinking older stuff but i know most people want to do the newer stuff) would this source code be beneficial in figuring out what to do or is it so different that it really wouldnt help?
    It very well could provide clues. However, it depends on the DME/ECU that you are working with. If its a BMW DME, then some of this information may prove valuable, simply from an educational stand point. Zero of the code will be copy and paste status. But it may help you save time in learning how things work, but I can say that I knew a pretty big portion of how this stuff worked. In terms of coding and how to read/write data, etc. For instance on the Android Port I've had to write a driver, none of that is part of the PC application as the drivers are provided by FTDI. There are very small details, valuable details that have to be figured out for each DME, as well as protocol for the interfaces and CAN and DME that were learned. These small things however, are big things. Which platform are you targeting?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Just got deleted at our favorite other site. Took about 30 seconds to get whacked so they are all on it trying to kill what will not be killed.

The $400 special guys are throwing all kinds of BS in the air. I asked a simple question since what's his name the tuner raised it earlier.
    Its all about who's wallet get filled. The BT tune is a free download & the other package costs $400. Follow the money trail when looking at nonsense charges & scare tactics.
    Kevin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    The fact that there are already people demanding beta source the first day and claiming conspiracy make me sick. You act like they loaded the software up on a device and are charging money for it. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Its all about scarring off the noobs & keeping the cash register ringing till they can unload the tablets. If they were not in full greed mode the posts would not be getting deleted, but most who post here already know that.
    Kevin

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory Click here to enlarge
    Its all about scarring (sic) off the noobs ...
    "Scarring" the noobs would certainly be more interesting than merely scaring them. Click here to enlarge

Hot pokers, anyone? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KrisM3 Click here to enlarge
    The fact that there are already people demanding beta source the first day and claiming conspiracy make me sick. You act like they loaded the software up on a device and are charging money for it. Click here to enlarge
    Some people see the potential in free and open source ECU Tuning (education, features, etc). @Freon mentions seeing a once-promised open-source project go closed.

Concern != demand. Sometimes the rhetoric can get a little thick. At the end of the day this is a free flashing solution that is a huge step forward for folks in the community. Some of us just like to make sure the promise of open source gets delivered on Click here to enlarge
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I make no demands, I'm just pointing out that the post says "open source" but there is no source, just binaries. It's not open source until the source is released.

Also curious what SafeGuard-IT.dll and DongleController are used for... "VerifyDonglePassword"? What's that for?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent job guys! Much thanks for me!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MrBlah Click here to enlarge

I don't think the android port is being designed with a BT cable in mind.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

There you go, initial design with BT.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bdtsulev Click here to enlarge
    It won't help you for another ECU you need to design it with that ECU in mind.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    @Freon mentions seeing a once-promised open-source project go closed.
    Yep he made an incorrect mention as who the $#@! said it isn't open source? What the $#@! is klipseracer working with, closed source? All that is said is the program is just released, in beta testing, and if you want to develop the source code to contact. What's the problem? Where the hell is closed source? What do you think Terry is working with to develop the JB specific edition?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Some of us just like to make sure the promise of open source gets delivered on
    What some of you need to do is learn how to read and comprehend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I make no demands, I'm just pointing out that the post says "open source" but there is no source, just binaries. It's not open source until the source is released.

Also curious what SafeGuard-IT.dll and DongleController are used for... "VerifyDonglePassword"? What's that for?
    It's not what you decide it is. The source code has been released to parties that aren't trying to undermine or steal the project and when it is out of beta testing we'll go further. IT WAS JUST RELEASED IN BETA. If you want more go buy something that offers more. You should probably stop whining right about now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dsjr2006 Click here to enlarge
    Excellent job guys! Much thanks for me!!
    Glad people are appreciating the effort. This didn't just come out of thin air.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Wow - congrats to the community on this. Major achievement here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This is awesome news. I can't wait to see how this matures and the pro tuners get on board.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast