Close

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'm sure sticky will release the source when he feels like it. Until then enjoy the free software. Or pay $400 or more for less functionality elsewhere. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Damn, you guys must have been real pissed at this guy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

great work! feel sorry about all those people that just bought the tablet
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

@Sticky, can we use the download section to share Cobb ATR maps as well?
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Great job to all involved.

I bet this is going to pump up the number of new members.
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

It would be nice to see the same happen for Mercedes...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Amazing work, thank you to all involved!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Freon Click here to enlarge
    Found the download link..

Yeah, this is my concern. It seems this is quickly being backpedaled to "sorta open source". If developers have no power to branch, release, and host source code on their own, I wouldn't qualify that as open source. It's more like Microsoft's approach back in the day to get Windows source code. You could sorta get the source, but couldn't really do much other than see how it worked and put yourself in a legal predicament. At some point the license is so encumbered that is really isn't what I would call open source as it goes against the spirit of what that means... I consider GPL v2, GPL v3, and Apache to be good examples. The reasons given in that paragraph highlight why you shouldn't go open source at all.

Using open source software to make money is part of the deal. Terry@BMS certainly can now use it to leverage the JB4 by letting people do the flash-under for low cost. If the copyright holder is using the supposed open source license to pick and choose winners that is totally a shiv move... Something as simple as GPL allows the copyright holder to sue if someone uses the source to build their own closed source binary/commercial product and force the modified source to be released.

Anyway, I'll look at the BB flasher download tonight, see if it includes the source and/or license and draw my conclusion then. This certainly raises eyebrows...

Project is not even 1 day into beta. There will be changes needing made, who knows there could still be some serious bugs out there that haven't been accounted for. Once the dust has settled, I foresee the source coming out in a creative commons license or something like that.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    I can't speak for Sticky, but I would think he encourages all map sharing, as long as they are your own tunes, and not the tunes of a Pro-Tuner or a closed source tuning company. Otherwise, I think that sounds like a great idea!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see that you are considering adding the N63/S63, but what about the N55. Will this eventually be released for that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shogun1122 Click here to enlarge
    I see that you are considering adding the N63/S63, but what about the N55. Will this eventually be released for that?
    Anything MSD80/81 will be supported by this software either now or in the future. That even includes that European N45 which I believe runs on that DME. Anything having to do with another DME will require totally different software. I'm sure certain knowledge can be shared, however is not within the scope of this software.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nicely done guys! Big move forward for the community!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

If anyone is in the NE Florida area/SE Georgia area and wants to make a trip to Jacksonville i can Flash maps for you. Just shoot me a pm.

Click here to enlarge
    I'm happy to see that smiley get used.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Maybe I'm missing it, but where are the download links to the source, binaries, and/or license agreement?
    Where it says 'downloads' right next to where it says 'forum' and 'what's new'
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by uniter Click here to enlarge
    Congrats!

Does this mean you won't be releasing the source code? There are a number of licenses under which the source can be released which directly protects against the risks you've identified. The most obvious being the GNU Public License.

Not releasing the source code would be a flip on shiv level proportions. Let the community benefit from a truly open source flashing solution.
    It has already been stated the source code will be released and certain people already have the code.

What was stated is for now we'll hold off due to others out there wanting to steal this and or profit from it. That was a group decision.

If someone wants to develop as others are developing just talk to me and you can join the development forum where code is exchanged.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Found the download link..

Yeah, this is my concern. It seems this is quickly being backpedaled to "sorta open source". If developers have no power to branch, release, and host source code on their own, I wouldn't qualify that as open source. It's more like Microsoft's approach back in the day to get Windows source code. You could sorta get the source, but couldn't really do much other than see how it worked and put yourself in a legal predicament. At some point the license is so encumbered that is really isn't what I would call open source as it goes against the spirit of what that means... I consider GPL v2, GPL v3, and Apache to be good examples. The reasons given in that paragraph highlight why you shouldn't go open source at all.

Using open source software to make money is part of the deal. Terry@BMS certainly can now use it to leverage the JB4 by letting people do the flash-under for low cost. If the copyright holder is using the supposed open source license to pick and choose winners that is totally a shiv move... Something as simple as GPL allows the copyright holder to sue if someone uses the source to build their own closed source binary/commercial product and force the modified source to be released.

Anyway, I'll look at the BB flasher download tonight, see if it includes the source and/or license and draw my conclusion then. This certainly raises eyebrows...
    Blah blah blah

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Are Cobb ATR maps something you create yourself?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It has already been stated the source code will be released and certain people already have the code.

What was stated is for now we'll hold off due to others out there wanting to steal this and or profit from it. That was a group decision.

If someone wants to develop as others are developing just talk to me.
    Thank you for clarifying that @Sticky & @klipseracer . I'm just another one of those paranoid open source nutjobs Click here to enlarge
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nawlinstornado Click here to enlarge
    It would be nice to see the same happen for Mercedes...
    I want to do it for everything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Project is not even 1 day into beta. There will be changes needing made, who knows there could still be some serious bugs out there that haven't been accounted for. Once the dust has settled, I foresee the source coming out in a creative commons license or something like that.
    This is why you can't help people. It's never enough for them.

Guys have been testing and working their tails off and it's 'oh give me more' as if they are owed something for free. Getting sick of the entitlement attitude.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Shogun1122 Click here to enlarge
    What is the N55 ecu?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

@Sticky Yes, they are flashable by anyone with a Cobb, like the Cobb OTS maps available for download from Cobb's website. All maps use a .ptm file extension. Cobb does all the work for you on preventing piracy of maps(by allowing protuners to lock them at their discretion), so there is no work needed by administration - just hosting.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Yes, they are flashable by anyone with a Cobb, like the Cobb OTS maps available for download from Cobb's website. All maps use a .ptm file extension. Cobb does all the work for you on preventing piracy of maps(by allowing protuners to lock them at their discretion), so there is no work needed by administration - just hosting.
    Ok then, go ahead guys I'll add a .ptm extension right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Need to read the article first... Got it. (re: source code)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Everyone needs to focus on Tuning and BIN definitions. Take all this worry you have about the future of this community, and focus it where it matters now. Which is making tunes and creating definition files. By the time you're doing that, which needs to be done anyway, the source code problem you guys think you have will not be a problem anymore. So instead of getting worked up over that, focus that energy you all have on something beneficial and tangible Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast