Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Engine build question for eventual turbo S65 when it becomes available.....

I would like to begin an S65 build soon with the intention of installing twin turbos when they become available. I'm starting with a used e92 with 30K or so miles, so motor weak points will need to checked and addressed. I sent a PM to sticky who has extensive real life experience with his HP S65 build, so I thought that he might want to talk about what he is doing to address engine failure points such as the popular rod bearings. Below was the first of my questions.

Question to Sticky:

This rod bearing issue is freaking me out. Have you done anything with your build to address the problem? Or, do you think it is blown out of proportion? Thinking about building a turbo s65 this has got to be on your mind. Your motor has survived somehow.......

Sticky:

It isn't blown out of proportion but I don't have the factory bearings or oiling system. My motor didn't have many miles on it.

Another question for you Sticky:

I would like to hear a bit more about the bearing and oiling mods you reference if it hasn't been covered in your build threads. If it has, my apologies, I missed it.

I would appreciate insight from other experienced forum members as well. We need solutions, starting with the bearing issue, as it is clearly a real point of failure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IF you're building your S65 for a twin turbo application, be prepared to pour another $20k into your car (if you really want to maximize the TT setup):
    • Low-Compression Motor Build (Upgraded Rods & Pistons)
    • Upgraded Bearings
    • 6MT = Upgraded Clutch; DCT = Upgraded Clutch Pack/Reprogramming
    • Upgraded Fueling System (Injectors/Pumps/etc)

IF
    you're tracking the car, then a Dry Sump (VAC sells an S65 kit) might be worthwhile, otherwise it's overkill. Also, depending on how much boost you want to run (and HP), you might need to address the block flex issues that Gintani discovered with their YSI equipped cars.

I'd also suggest if you're gonna go beyond stock motor power, that you reinforce the driving characteristics of the car with a coilover setup/DEFIV lockdown kit/upgraded braking. If you build a 700 WHP+ E92 M3 monster, the power generated by the TT setup will easily over power the chassis and you'll not be able to fully (and safely) enjoy all that new power.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Benzy, thanks for the insightful response.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The bearings I have are those specced by Gintani along with gintani's oil system upgrades. The best thing to do is honestly a dry sump system. I will likely go that route eventually and talk to @Mike@VAC if they want to get their dry sump system on my car.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The bearings I have are those specced by Gintani along with gintani's oil system upgrades. The best thing to do is honestly a dry sump system. I will likely go that route eventually and talk to @Mike@VAC if they want to get their dry sump system on my car.
    Let us know what you find out about the dry sump. What advantage if any would that offer in terms of main and rod bearing longevity? Any, or would it be more for better oiling during track use? Also, does Gintani use coated bearings like say Clevite?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CBR335 Click here to enlarge
    Let us know what you find out about the dry sump. What advantage if any would that offer in terms of main and rod bearing longevity? Any, or would it be more for better oiling during track use?
    A Dry Sump Oil system is a must for any car that's seeing high lateral G-forces (aggressive cornering), which could potentially cause oil starvation & eventually engine failure. If you're just doing normal, spirited street driving a Dry Sump isn't going to improve longevity, but it's certainly not a bad investment.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let us know what you find out about the dry sump. What advantage if any would that offer in terms of main and rod bearing longevity? Any, or would it be more for better oiling during track use? Also, does Gintani use coated bearings like say Clevite?
    The dry sump ensures the bearings will stay lubricated. So, that definitely will help longevity. It would definitely be better for track use but I would just want it for peace of mind.

I don't know the specifications on Gintani's bearings.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    drop from 10w60 oil to 5w40

consult a pro on the build process, ive personally seen built S65's from VAC and they can walk/talk you through it, its what they do daily. I know some other companies do build them, but not sure if all of them are 100% in house like VAC, so you may be better off going right to the source

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Interested to see what goes on here. Technically isn't most of the rod bearing issue due to the SC and the pullies on the crank? I don't it would have much of a problem with turbos because it's not directly using the engine to make power. However, when doing a build like this, it's best to do it all and not $#@! around.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Technically isn't most of the rod bearing issue due to the SC and the pullies on the crank?
    No.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No.
    Clarify please... I thought that's what it was. The bearings closer to the Sc pulley on the crank always showed much more wear and tear. Even on the Gintani video that's what Alex showed if I remember correctly.
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    drop from 10w60 oil to 5w40

consult a pro on the build process, ive personally seen built S65's from VAC and they can walk/talk you through it, its what they do daily. I know some other companies do build them, but not sure if all of them are 100% in house like VAC, so you may be better off going right to the source
    Thanks LM, it is going to be fun to jump from e92 N54 to e92 S65. The options are fantastic now for the N54, but the M3 is just a better car in all respects but torque and gas consumption.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Clarify please... I thought that's what it was. The bearings closer to the Sc pulley on the crank always showed much more wear and tear. Even on the Gintani video that's what Alex showed if I remember correctly.
    If you supercharger you will exacerbate an issue that is already there. Stock motors fail too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you supercharger you will exacerbate an issue that is already there. Stock motors fail too.
    Damn... the s54 is still one of the best M engines huh. LOL
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn... the s54 is still one of the best M engines huh. LOL
    The S54 had this problem to a greater degree.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks LM, it is going to be fun to jump from e92 N54 to e92 S65. The options are fantastic now for the N54, but the M3 is just a better car in all respects but torque and gas consumption.

No problem man, people just dont fully understand the differences until they drive each one, and yes the S65 needs to be driven a bit differently than the N54, not a bad thing, just different.

before you commit to your plans, see if you can find locals that have variations of different combos, N/A DCT and 6MT, and S/C'd DCT/6MT.. and even more so if you can find the different S/C kits..

Not because im telling you not to TT it, but so you can feel how the car reacts boosted.. THEN how each kit responds to it.. the VF/ESS/Gintani kits are solid but are completely different from the AA/Evolve kits

I know the last 2 will solve your TQ complaints Click here to enlarge