Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another intake question

Sorry if I've missed it but searched and couldn't find much data for the afe stage 2 intake. Nice looking intake and apparently seals when the bonnet is $#@!. How do these compare to DCI's in terms of air flow and bhp. Any proven dynos? Thanks in advance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bonnet is "CLOSED " I don't remember swearing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 123ersan Click here to enlarge
    Bonnet is "CLOSED " I don't remember swearing?
    You meant to type "shut' but hit the 'i' key instead of 'u' which should answer your question.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see. $#@!ing I phone! And advice on the question? Someone must surely have these on their car. Lots of info on DCI but hardly any for AFE stage 2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I've just installed that intake on my car. Honestly, at these power levels the butt dyno does not feel any difference... So at this state I just *hope* it's indeed superior to the stock intake as advertised. At least it will not suffer from heatsoak as DCI possibly could.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your right. I couldn't imagine a but dyno picking up on gains if any. Just going have to go for it and hope it pays off like you. My thoughts exact though against DCI. people always say FMIC will counter the rise in temp but still doesn't sell it to me. I prefer air as cool as possible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

It's a solid intake and aFe's stuff is well built. I haven't seen many dynos but you aren't going to go wrong wit hit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You've sold it to me again. On another note, there really is a gap in the UK market for n54 tuning parts. Everything I've ordered has been from the US, and I bloody hate waitingClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

You've sold it to me again. On another note, there really is a gap in the UK market for n54 tuning parts. Everything I've ordered has been from the US, and I bloody hate waitingClick here to enlarge
    The US has the best aftermarket parts for everything. We may not make the best cars but we have the most affordable and well engineered aftermarket parts that's for damn sure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Except for the fact that some of the best brand-specific tuners are in the EU -- Evolve, G-Power, Manhart, Hamann, 9ff (Porsche) & several others I'm sure I'm forgetting
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Except for the fact that some of the best brand-specific tuners are in the EU -- Evolve, G-Power, Manhart, Hamann, 9ff (Porsche) & several others I'm sure I'm forgetting
    I think you meant to say most expensive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think you meant to say most expensive.
    Evolve & 9ff are possibly the best in their respective fields (BMW & Porsche tuning). G-Power, Manhart & Hamann are all very expensive, but without a doubt they do some VERY impressive things that aren't even being attempted by other tuners -- like G-Power's dual s/c S85 & Manhart M motor swaps (S85s into E9x M3s)

Without a doubt you're getting what you pay for with this companies -- Incredible performance gains with OEM quality

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Evolve & 9ff are possibly the best in their respective fields (BMW & Porsche tuning). G-Power, Manhart & Hamann are all very expensive, but without a doubt they do some VERY impressive things that aren't even being attempted by other tuners -- like G-Power's dual s/c S85 & Manhart M motor swaps (S85s into E9x M3s)

Without a doubt you're getting what you pay for with this companies -- Incredible performance gains with OEM quality
    I have to respectfully disagree on 9ff. I'm not saying they aren't good, they are. But Protomotive can do more for less. Plus, you can home build a 996tt that will rival their best stuff for a fraction of the price these days.

G-Power is relevant because they have access to codes quicker than anyone. Essentially, they have an inside guy. G-Power really isn't that great. My car will spank anything they have ever built. So how good are they really? They play on a name like Hamann and the rest of the overrated European stuff.

Their stuff is good, very good, but overpriced and you get a name brand tax. I'd love to see them build something high end and custom like my car but they don't tend to do that. I do really like their stuff but I'll spank them.

You do get what you pay for, no doubt about it. If you want to go that route though then I would say RUF and Brabus are a notch above.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

like sticky said

they're the best choice within the first few months of release (only choice)

or if you're into some brand wank (omg APR jizz jizz jizz)

but the aftermarket rapidly overtakes in the months and years after, where the 'big brands' move on to new platforms for more 'first in line' profits

G-power and Manhart occasionally build sweet cars, 1ers with S85 swaps and such.. but they're really just for show for the most part, PR stuff.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I have to respectfully disagree on 9ff. I'm not saying they aren't good, they are. But Protomotive can do more for less. Plus, you can home build a 996tt that will rival their best stuff for a fraction of the price these days.

G-Power is relevant because they have access to codes quicker than anyone. Essentially, they have an inside guy. G-Power really isn't that great. My car will spank anything they have ever built. So how good are they really? They play on a name like Hamann and the rest of the overrated European stuff.

Their stuff is good, very good, but overpriced and you get a name brand tax. I'd love to see them build something high end and custom like my car but they don't tend to do that. I do really like their stuff but I'll spank them.

You do get what you pay for, no doubt about it. If you want to go that route though then I would say RUF and Brabus are a notch above.
    I'd agree that a home built Porsche makes the most sense unless you're looking to do a real high HP, built-motor setup. Protomotive can do nearly as good a job a(for like 1/2 the price), but the 9ff build quality & performance makes it top dog

Your car is an "apples to lemons" comparison with G-Power, A) because your car still isn't running 100% and B) it's way beyond what anybody would justify modifying a BMW M3. Yea, you'll have an 800+ WHP M3, but (and just like you pointed out) you could've easily bought an 996 turbo, a pair of 30Rs with supporting mods (intercooler, WGs/BOVs, etc), a quality flash tune & outperform your car for ~1/3 of the cost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Side Note -- What happened to the multiple quotes button/option?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    like sticky said

they're the best choice within the first few months of release (only choice)

or if you're into some brand wank (omg APR jizz jizz jizz)

but the aftermarket rapidly overtakes in the months and years after, where the 'big brands' move on to new platforms for more 'first in line' profits

G-power and Manhart occasionally build sweet cars, 1ers with S85 swaps and such.. but they're really just for show for the most part, PR stuff.
    They get to stuff earlier due to connections but are quickly surpassed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Side Note -- What happened to the multiple quotes button/option?
    I killed it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I'd agree that a home built Porsche makes the most sense unless you're looking to do a real high HP, built-motor setup. Protomotive can do nearly as good a job a(for like 1/2 the price), but the 9ff build quality & performance makes it top dog
    http://youtu.be/ThFIO7q478c

Your car is an "apples to lemons" comparison with G-Power, A) because your car still isn't running 100% and B) it's way beyond what anybody would justify modifying a BMW M3. Yea, you'll have an 800+ WHP M3, but (and just like you pointed out) you could've easily bought an 996 turbo, a pair of 30Rs with supporting mods (intercooler, WGs/BOVs, etc), a quality flash tune & outperform your car for ~1/3 of the cost.
    My car isn't running 100% because it's so much further than anything G-Power has ever done for example. That says a lot right there.

It's not way beyond what anyone would justify modding an M3 built motor forced induction M3 setups aren't that rare.

A 996 Turbo has been done to death. Plus, I want to have the fastest E9X and I want to do it the way I'm doing it to promote what I'm doing. It all ties in.

It isn't a cost per HP issue or else domestics always win, ALWAYS.

I just don't consider 9ff top dog or any European tuner.