Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Spec stage 3+ horrible engagement

Recently installed a spec stage 3+ w/ steel fw, and I've got a couple complaints and I'm wondering if they can be solved.

first and foremost, All of the engagement is at the very top of the pedal stroke. Any way to adjust this so it happens half an inch further down?

Also my clutch pedal seems to vibrate/shake, is this normal?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135Hoser Click here to enlarge
    Recently installed a spec stage 3+ w/ steel fw, and I've got a couple complaints and I'm wondering if they can be solved.

first and foremost, All of the engagement is at the very top of the pedal stroke. Any way to adjust this so it happens half an inch further down?

Also my clutch pedal seems to vibrate/shake, is this normal?
    I thought the throwout shaft had two different placements for a high or low engagement point. But I haven't had a chance to actually install mine yet.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My engagement is also at the top of pedal travel. The throwout bearing can be put in 2 ways which changes the engagement point. Engagement is nowhere near as smooth as stock during break in and that may be what you feel, that will improve but not disappear.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Engagement point moving up some with a new clutch, especially a performance clutch is kinda normal... but it shouldn't be allll the way up or something may be wrong. As for shaking... is it shudder in the drivetrain when it's engaging or just strictly the pedal? Two separate issues there. If it's just the pedal you probably have something funky with the throwout bearing, which could be linked to the engagement point as well. If it's shuddering in the engine/trans engagement point, well I never really liked spec but the 3+ isn't a button clutch is it? So it *should* be smooth-ish, but you never know. It's going to be a bit harsh and more on/off switch, so if you try to ride it it's not going to play nice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You talk to Spec?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    same problem here. i installed it on the high position and engagement is at the top. my friend installed it on the low position and the engagement is exactcly the same at the top

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh great, my car is in the shop now getting a spec stg 3+ and smfw, I'll see what it feels like when I pick it up this week
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I just put about 500 miles on my spec stage 3+ with the steel flywheel. If anybody really thinks a clutch/flywheel combo like this is going to drive and feel like a stockish clutch probably should have put some more research into there purchase. With this clutch you can still pull out from a stop with no throttle if being smooth but it will chatter a bit. The pedal grabs at about half way and is fully engaged about 80ish % to the top on the low TB setting. I feel the car drives great with this combo and my wife can even drive it. To be honest short of the heavy clutch pedal its really a decent DD combo for those who need the torque capacity.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good, I expected the clutch wouldnt drive like stock, just didn't want it to ruin my experience with the car
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mine shuddered bad. Still shuddered some past 500mi breakin. So I took it to the drag strip and beat on it and the shudder went away lol.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm running a SPEC Stg. 2 +. It seems that the engagement point may be a bit lower with the throwout bearing in the lower position, but it's still too high in my estimation. BTW, SPEC used to provide they're own adjustable throwout bearing, AFAIK they now provide the stock piece.

Although my clutch is fully engaging before the top of the pedal travel, it can make shifting smoothly a bit more of a challenge in certain conditions.

I've mentioned it to SPEC -- most recently at BimmerfestEast --and I'm hoping they'll eventually change the design.

Neil