Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Smokey exhaust, burning oil. Help wanted.

Well after about a week of digging through multiple forums I've finally found a question that I can't find answered.

Basically my 335i decided to pick up the nasty habit of smoking. It is very light on idle and noticeable during pulls. It very clearly smells of burnt oil so my next step is to decide where it is from. I checked and retightened everything on my catch can, which was basically empty after about 3 months of being installed.

My research has landed me at either a valve cover gasket, headgasket, or turbo seals. My issue is how do I know or how can I test any of the above? I do have traces of oil on my motor that would lead to a valve cover gasket going out but I wanted to know is there any tests I can do to rule that out? Maybe isolate the leak to my turbos?

Any help is appreciated. I'm hoping this forum proves to be a little more technical and helpful than that other forum. Click here to enlarge

Related mods are jb5 g5 iso, fully catless exhaust, bms catch can, burger motorsports sticker

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Being fully catless you will actually see the smoke. I think lots of cars may have leaky turbo seals but that cats mask the smoke. You can check the compression to see if it may be worn rings causing the smoke. How many miles are on the car?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    i had the same issue and changed everyhting except the turbos.....RB PCV, head gasket, etc....put secondary high flow cats from magnaflow and whala....smoke gone........get some cats dukez!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by neilvosko Click here to enlarge
    i had the same issue and changed everyhting except the turbos.....RB PCV, head gasket, etc....put secondary high flow cats from magnaflow and whala....smoke gone........get some cats dukez!
    Did this help?

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I shouldn't have to re add cats to mask the issue. Motor has ~95k on it so worn deals are a definite possibility. Without cats it didn't smoke for the first 4 months or so, so I doubt it's always had this skiing issue. Also my oil consumption has raised as well quite recently.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Take your catch can off to eliminate that as a variable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't believe I never thought of that. By the way I just read through my last post and it is embarrassingly riddled with retardation. I apologize for my iPhone typing inabilities.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How does a catch can contribute to smoking, oil consumption? I've heard it said before, but the technical rationale for it escapes me.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Could be your valve stem seals. Its only noticable when your catless.
    08 328i, totaled by women driver
    07 335i, lots of mods.
    Now- 14 Focus ST
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's a lot worse than mine, but similar. I'm trying to find all the pieces I need to uninstall the catch can, it's not working well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well without confirmed reason to pull the catch can I'm gonna leave that one on the back burner. Just ordered a valve cover gasket and required bolts. Will report back I guess if anyone is still interested. Everyone cross your fingers that I won't be ordering any turbos this year...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mrbillytalent Click here to enlarge
    Well without confirmed reason to pull the catch can I'm gonna leave that one on the back burner. Just ordered a valve cover gasket and required bolts. Will report back I guess if anyone is still interested. Everyone cross your fingers that I won't be ordering any turbos this year...
    I had started a thread for this one a few months back. Nobody was able to confirm it. I believe it's something Rob said randomly in a thread.
    LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::WAVETRAC DIFF::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

It sure did...no more smoke after adding secondary cats

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Did this help?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With high mileage your turbo seals are probably leaking some. People have problems with smoke on decel with a lot lower miles. I do not see how a valve cover gasket can effect burning oil out the exhaust. I can see it as a consumption problem and a burning smell by leaking on the manifolds but that is about it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well then. Time to start looking at new snails.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just curious what not put secondaries on it for the time being as long as your consumption is ok. Also I would try to take out the catch can before looking for new turbos

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't find the hose needed to reinstall the stock Pcv tube. If its an issue I'd rather not just mask it. Plus new turbos will get rid of that god awful rattle, which may not be that bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Time for upgraded turbos!

Pretty sure my seals are leaking pretty badly as I only have 45km on mine and the car smokes very very badly when coasting or decelerating in gear.

I might put on secondary cats to mask the smoke and smell in the meantime until I can afford new turbos. Might get rid of the rasp I have with straight through pipes too haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Forgot to add, you can also possibly look at getting a replacement PCV valve from RB. That might help too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll look into that, thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello,

Any news on your problem, I may have a problem of consuptions of oil on mine too.

Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also interested in any feedback as I have been experiencing a burning oil smell, some smoke from the exhaust, and oil consumption lately as well. I just recently had the valve cover gasket replaced, but I am noticing oil down in the area near the spark plugs, between them and where the valve cover is.
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have had or seen oil leak problems before so here is what I suggest. If you are smelling burning oil, it's somehow related to the exhaust because that is what is burning it, only other option is some seal keeping out oil from the cylinder has failed and you are burning oil in your combustion stroke. You can test this with a compression test or pressure blow down test. What I would check before that is valve cover gasket, you can visually inspect all around and if you see a lot of grime somewhere is because oil has leaked out and attracted dirt. Clean of with brake cleaner and rag and monitor for leaks. Pull the plastic covers under the car engine and tranny and see if you can spot where the oil is dripping onto down pipes causing it to burn. Another option is your oil pan gasket is leaking onto exhaust also, can check this from underneath the car after you remove the plastic covers. If it's non of this, it could be your turbos. The turbine oil seal can leak and oil gets into hot turbine housing/downpipe and burns. Need to pull off downpipes to diagnose this. Hope this helps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    if you have oil in spark plug holes it's definitely valve cover gasket that leaked it. May not have been cleaned out properly when they replaced first time otherwise it's leaking again Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

i had the exact same problem with my 335 when i removed all the cats on my car. had occ on, rb pcv, put new valve cover and gasket, checked turbo to see if seals were leaking and checked head for leaking valve seals. nothing fixed it. decided to have compression test and LEAKDOWN TEST done. compression readings were ok across the board but my cylinder number 2 had 57% leakdown. so i found out cylinder 2 rings were shot. i have an 07 335i with 97,000 miles. the leakdown test found the problem. i highly recomend having this done considering your high milage. hope this helps you.