Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Cool OEM CSL Roof install on my M3

Well Guys,

I got a wonderful gift from a good friend and member on here, an OEM CSL roof. He had it lying around at home since last year but didn't get the chance to install it. We came to an agreement and he dropped the roof off at my shop a few weeks ago.

I set about ordering the adhesive, applicator gun and front and rear window seals. Everything arrived in a week but the adhesive took 5 weeks to get here. Thanks to member disapr for the advice on which glue and gun to get.

Some pics.....

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Dropping the car off at ekanooracing on Saturday for the install. Thanks so much to ekanoo and staff for the support.

I'll keep the thread updated with as many pics i can during the install.

Might get the BBS CH's refurbished at the same time.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Wow sick!!!!

Did you get OEM CSL glass as well?

I love OEM parts Click here to enlarge
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    Wow sick!!!!

Did you get OEM CSL glass as well?

I love OEM parts Click here to enlarge
    Thanks bro. No didnt bother with the glass as the main weight needed to be shed is from my belly! 10-12kgs at least!

Your car looks stunning Bro. I need to get me some fat OEM CSL wheels with 15/12mm spacers.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Thanks bro. No didnt bother with the glass as the main weight needed to be shed is from my belly! 10-12kgs at least!

Your car looks stunning Bro. I need to get me some fat OEM CSL wheels with 15/12mm spacers.
    Thank you! All the other E46 M guys inspire me to keep it clean, and OEM+ looking such as yourself Click here to enlarge
    I'm currently running 12.5mm spacers up front and 10mm spacers in the rear.
    I want to put the 12.5's in the rear and put some 15mm spacers up front. I think it would look perfect at my height Click here to enlarge

Post some pictures of the install. Your car is going to look insane!
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

You will fall in love all over again with your car Ejaz.

Enjoy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    Thank you! All the other E46 M guys inspire me to keep it clean, and OEM+ looking such as yourself Click here to enlargeI'm currently running 12.5mm spacers up front and 10mm spacers in the rear. I want to put the 12.5's in the rear and put some 15mm spacers up front. I think it would look perfect at my height Click here to enlargePost some pictures of the install. Your car is going to look insane!
    Yes that'll look great! Do it and don't forget to show us before and after pics.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MisterEm Click here to enlarge
    You will fall in love all over again with your car Ejaz.Enjoy.
    Thanks bro. I already love it. The E46 M3 was Always my dream.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Dropped Darth Vader off at ekanoo racing body shop today as scheduled.....

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

More updates to come as work starts tomorrow.....
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

So here are pics from today with the interior removed and ready to start drilling and grinding away spot welds etc.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

This is in order to remove the roof. I have been told from tomorrow they will not be pausing for pics Click here to enlarge So i'll have to make do with any pics I can take when i get a chance to visit the garage.

more updates to come tomorrow.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

As this is cosmetic moved to 3-Series E46.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    UPDATE:

OEM Sun Roof panel is off......
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Test Fitting OEM CSL CF roof....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Center Support Bow for cars without sunroof installed and welded on....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Interior all wrapped to protect from any damage......
    Click here to enlarge

Some close up of the drilled out tac welds.....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Clamps, Adhesive, locked and loaded in the gun.....ready to move forward with the install of the roof.....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Sound deadening for the roof....
    Click here to enlarge

My Complete OEM CSL Interior.....
    Click here to enlarge

The Beautiful OEM CSL Roof lying there waiting to be glued on to the car.....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Darth Vaders waaaiitttiiinnggg.....
    Click here to enlarge

Cleaned the roof from the inside with alcohol to prep the surface for bonding. It is beautiful how BMW have markings underneath to help align the roof with the car and center support beam....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Applying the SEM adhesive....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Then the roof becomes one with the car.....
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Interior goes in tomorrow after the cars had about 24 hours of no moving etc. Wheels wont be painted this time but will get them done in a few weeks.

More pics to come tomorrow....hopefully Click here to enlarge

Oh and just to let you guys know i had SO MUCH FUN standing around in 115f, 70% humidity taking pics Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Oh and just to let you guys know i had SO MUCH FUN standing around in 115f, 70% humidity taking pics
    It's been 82 degrees for two months here Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's been 82 degrees for two months here Click here to enlarge
    Nice, it's been miserable here with the humidity.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

UPDATE:

All done and it looks amazing......

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I would like to say a big thank you to ekanoo and ekanoo racing for helping put my worries aside of having the roof installed.

I will update with more pics in 2 days with some more pics as tomorrow im busy all day plus the detailers are coming back for a wash and wax for the car. The car feels a bit more nimble. I feel it needs to have the height adjusted on the front by lowering it 5mm more and a good corner balancing.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

What does the carbon fiber roof and center bow support weight compared to the metal roof?

It looks great, BTW.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    What does the carbon fiber roof and center bow support weight compared to the metal roof?

It looks great, BTW.
    The CSL roof weights 5 lbs, i didnt get a chance to weight the center bow. The OEM Alu roof and Sunroof system probably weights around 50-70lbs. I have those parts so i plan on weighting them in a few days when I pick them up from the shop.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

The CSL roof weights 5 lbs, i didnt get a chance to weight the center bow. The OEM Alu roof and Sunroof system probably weights around 50-70lbs. I have those parts so i plan on weighting them in a few days when I pick them up from the shop.
    Ok, so you had the sunroof too. Removing weight from the highest part of the car (i.e farthest from the roll center) is undoubtedly good. Also good is increasing rigidity through that extra support and of course the carbon roof itself.

I gotta give you credit because not many people would have the balls to cut the roof off their car, but you found a great shop to do the work because it looks flawless.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    Ok, so you had the sunroof too. Removing weight from the highest part of the car (i.e farthest from the roll center) is undoubtedly good. Also good is increasing rigidity through that extra support and of course the carbon roof itself.

I gotta give you credit because not many people would have the balls to cut the roof off their car, but you found a great shop to do the work because it looks flawless.
    Thanks bro. Yeah ek has done it on several of his own cars so to do this for him was no problems at all. It was done in two working days not including the extra day to leave the car parked for the glue to cure.

I need to start planning to have it corner balanced.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

It turned out very, very well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It turned out very, very well.
    Thanks J
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Very nice! I had this done on my E92 and it's already worth it just for the drool factor of the CF reflections in the sun Click here to enlarge
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Very nice! I had this done on my E92 and it's already worth it just for the drool factor of the CF reflections in the sun Click here to enlarge
    Thanks! So you did this to your 335? Did you use an OEM E92 CF roof panel?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Thanks! So you did this to your 335? Did you use an OEM E92 CF roof panel?
    Yes, the roof came from a salvaged E92 M3. The CF roof panel was still glued to the M3 steel roof structure. The whole roof structure had been cut off at the pillars to seperate it from the body Click here to enlarge

Then it was quite some work to get the roof panel off and remove the glue without damaging the CF. The panel is really a work of art.
    E92 335i SB / Black Leather / 6AT / Navi Prof / Sunroof / Active Steering
    Mods: Performance Seats / Performance Exhaust / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / M3 Mirrors / Forge FMIC / QUAIFE LSD / Ohlins R&T / M3 Suspension Parts / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR catted DP / COBB Pro-Tune
    Next: GTS Wing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Autobahn335i Click here to enlarge
    Yes, the roof came from a salvaged E92 M3. The CF roof panel was still glued to the M3 steel roof structure. The whole roof structure had been cut off at the pillars to seperate it from the body Click here to enlarge

Then it was quite some work to get the roof panel off and remove the glue without damaging the CF. The panel is really a work of art.
    LOL that's cool.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Dropped the ///M off at LLUMAR BAHRAIN (Ekanoo) For the clear film protection on the roof. Too afraid of it getting scratched by stone chips etc....

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Its weird how the car feels lighter. Did anyone else feel the car handled differently after the sunroof to CF roof swap? I can see that the height needs adjusting again as it looks like the cars sitting slightly higher now.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast