Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Anyone hear of this brand of Coil

I was getting a misfire on cylinder 2 (code 29CE) which continued even after I replaced the spark plug. I ordered a replacement coil from RockAuto that was made by "Airtex". Replaced the coil and the car ran like a champ for a couple weeks. Last night I started getting a misfire on cylinder 2 again (code 29CE) but now I am also getting code 2E19 - Ignition, cylinder 2. Has anyone had this code before? Is this likely to be the result of the replacement coil I got?

I'm going to test it when I get home, but if it is the coil, where do you all get OEM replacement coils?

Thanks.
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As far as I know, the only coils that have been tried are the OEM and Okada.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. Are the OEM coils made by Bosch?
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks. Are the OEM coils made by Bosch?
    yep
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    yep
    Thanks. Going to order a few now as I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've run into a problem with the number two cylinder as well while running a JB4 tuner. The first time it happened, I replaced the coil and everything was good. It happened again to me a few months later so I pulled the coil, swapped it with the number one cylinder and the problem did not follow to the number one cylinder, in fact, the problem never happened again. I did however take the JB4 off at that time, but re installed it a month or so later. After the reinstall, I did the regrounding of the JB4 and the problem never happened again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I've ordered from them in the past...
    https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...gnition%20Coil
    [02/07 E92 335i 6MT] - Under Construction

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    I've run into a problem with the number two cylinder as well while running a JB4 tuner. The first time it happened, I replaced the coil and everything was good. It happened again to me a few months later so I pulled the coil, swapped it with the number one cylinder and the problem did not follow to the number one cylinder, in fact, the problem never happened again. I did however take the JB4 off at that time, but re installed it a month or so later. After the reinstall, I did the regrounding of the JB4 and the problem never happened again.
    Yeah, I'm going to swap the coil when I get home and see if the misfire follows. I've never had any problems with the JB4 so I'm not sure if it is the problem. Interestingly, though, I cleared the code last night and put the JB4 on map 0. This morning I wasn't having any problems so I turned the JB4 back on and all was good. When I came back to the car (it was still warm) and started it up the problem was back and constant. Clearing the codes had no effect.

I'll start with swapping the coils around and see if that changes anything. If not, I'll order OEM coils and try that out. I am running an E85 blend so I hope it isn't an injector issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nitehawk Click here to enlarge
    I've ordered from them in the past...
    https://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...gnition%20Coil
    Thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All right, now I'm really confused. I got the misfire condition to come back last night after a few attempts. It didn't do it on the way home and only happened once the car heated up, I shut it down, then came back to it about 30 minutes later and went for a drive. I swapped the coil from cylinder 2 (replacement "Airtex" coil) with the coil from cylinder 1 (OEM coil). In swapping the coil I noticed that the part that clips onto the wire harness is pretty weak/flimsy as compared to the OEM coil. Also, when I put the Airtex coil onto cylinder 1 I noticed that it didn't seem to fit the same way the OEM coil did. It looked like the coil was going to be the problem due to the shoddy fitment, and I assumed the misfire would follow to cylinder 1. However, I went for a drive and pushed the car pretty hard and there were no misfires what-so-ever. They also did not return this morning, either. I left the engine cover off, so I don't know if the heat not being trapped right above the coils is affecting the issue or not. Going to try that over the weekend to see.

So, now I'm at a loss. Going to order OEM coils so I can have them on hand as I'm still not sold on the problem not being a result of these other coils. However, I am open to thoughts as to what else may be an issue? Would dirty valves cause this problem?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All right, now I'm really confused. I got the misfire condition to come back last night after a few attempts. It didn't do it on the way home and only happened once the car heated up, I shut it down, then came back to it about 30 minutes later and went for a drive. I swapped the coil from cylinder 2 (replacement "Airtex" coil) with the coil from cylinder 1 (OEM coil). In swapping the coil I noticed that the part that clips onto the wire harness is pretty weak/flimsy as compared to the OEM coil. Also, when I put the Airtex coil onto cylinder 1 I noticed that it didn't seem to fit the same way the OEM coil did. It looked like the coil was going to be the problem due to the shoddy fitment, and I assumed the misfire would follow to cylinder 1. However, I went for a drive and pushed the car pretty hard and there were no misfires what-so-ever. They also did not return this morning, either. I left the engine cover off, so I don't know if the heat not being trapped right above the coils is affecting the issue or not. Going to try that over the weekend to see.

So, now I'm at a loss. Going to order OEM coils so I can have them on hand as I'm still not sold on the problem not being a result of these other coils. However, I am open to thoughts as to what else may be an issue? Would dirty valves cause this problem?
    Can't hurt to have 1 brand new one on hand can it? $40 isn't that much...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Can't hurt to have 1 brand new one on hand can it? $40 isn't that much...
    Absolutely. Which is why I'm ordering a couple. Just wondering if there could be any other potential causes that anyone may have experienced.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Absolutely. Which is why I'm ordering a couple. Just wondering if there could be any other potential causes that anyone may have experienced.
    When do they come in?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    When do they come in?
    Thursday, 8/22/2013 by the end of the day according to the tracking info.

Car has been running fine though ever since I swapped the replacement coil with the OEM coil in cylinder 1. I don't get it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Car has been running fine though ever since I swapped the replacement coil with the OEM coil in cylinder 1. I don't get it.
    Not too surprising. People often end up back wit the OEM coil at least I remember people in the E46 M3 world tending to go back to OEM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not too surprising. People often end up back wit the OEM coil at least I remember people in the E46 M3 world tending to go back to OEM.
    Yeah. But I took the OEM coil off of cylinder 1 and put it onto cylinder 2 (the cylinder I've been having the issues with). The Airtex coil is now on cylinder 1 and I'm not having any issues as of yet.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah. But I took the OEM coil off of cylinder 1 and put it onto cylinder 2 (the cylinder I've been having the issues with). The Airtex coil is now on cylinder 1 and I'm not having any issues as of yet.
    Weird, I don't know what to say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Weird, I don't know what to say.
    Me neither. But as long as the car is running strong again, "F" it. Haha. Now at least I'll have a few extra coils available if anything happens again.