Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Upgrade path for VT2-500. Crank pulley question

Hi,

I have a 3.33" supercharger, and a 5.11 crank pulley. Intercooled setup from ESS. What kind of boost should I expect by upgrading to a 5.56" crank pulley?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Talk to @THATDONFC he can also hook you up with various pulleys
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd like to run around 10psi on my intercooled Vortech V3si setup, with catless exhaust.

I'm considering a 5.25" crank and 3.125" blower pulley combo for a 48,617rpm impeller speed
    OR
    a 5.11" crank with a 2.87" crank for 51,278rpm impeller speed

i'm worried that option 2 will take me well above 10psi. Can anyone confirm? Here's the chart of research I put together. I don't have full confidence in the above 9psi setups
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle Click here to enlarge
    I'd like to run around 10psi on my intercooled Vortech V3si setup, with catless exhaust.

I'm considering a 5.25" crank and 3.125" blower pulley combo for a 48,617rpm impeller speed
    OR
    a 5.11" crank with a 2.87" crank for 51,278rpm impeller speed

i'm worried that option 2 will take me well above 10psi. Can anyone confirm? Here's the chart of research I put together. I don't have full confidence in the above 9psi setups
    Talk to @THATDONFC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    didn't know he'd know. I hit him up for a crank pulley quote, still waiting on that

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    didn't know he'd know. I hit him up for a crank pulley quote, still waiting on that
    It's Sunday give him a chance Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry for the wait. I've been slammed but you'll have that quote in the morning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    Sorry for the wait. I've been slammed but you'll have that quote in the morning.
    No probs. Could you help me on the psi expectations?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is on an S54? Stock engine, stock headers? What pulleys are you running now and what is your max boost?

Also, where did you get the above data?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is on an S54? Stock engine, stock headers? What pulleys are you running now and what is your max boost?

Also, where did you get the above data?
    I got the above chart by researching forums. The top one, is my current setup. 5.11" and 3.33". 7psi

Stock engine, euro headers, catless section one. My boost dropped slightly when I went catless in section 1.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I got the above chart by researching forums. The top one, is my current setup. 5.11" and 3.33". 7psi

Stock engine, euro headers, catless section one. My boost dropped slightly when I went catless in section 1.
    It's a bit difficult to give you a definitive answer on what your max boost will be but I'll give you a few tips.

You are always better off increasing your crank pulley size if you can. Especially with 6 rib pulleys, keeping the sc pulley at a larger diameter will help prevent belt slip. As a general rule of thumb, you can expect approximately 1 psi of pressure change for every size of sc pulley. So if you make 7 psi with a 3.33 you should see about 8 psi with a 3.25 pulley without changing the crank pulley.

I would definitely suggest the first option because you will have a larger crank pulley which will allow you to run a larger sc pulley for the same boost. You should see somewhere around 10 psi with the 5.25 and 3.125.

Do you have a dyno of your current setup with a boost plot?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's a bit difficult to give you a definitive answer on what your max boost will be but I'll give you a few tips.

You are always better off increasing your crank pulley size if you can. Especially with 6 rib pulleys, keeping the sc pulley at a larger diameter will help prevent belt slip. As a general rule of thumb, you can expect approximately 1 psi of pressure change for every size of sc pulley. So if you make 7 psi with a 3.33 you should see about 8 psi with a 3.25 pulley without changing the crank pulley.

I would definitely suggest the first option because you will have a larger crank pulley which will allow you to run a larger sc pulley for the same boost. You should see somewhere around 10 psi with the 5.25 and 3.125.

Do you have a dyno of your current setup with a boost plot?
    Thanks for the tips Chris. I don't have a current dyno, I guess I should get it to see what's up before I start swapping pulleys around

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The reason I ask is those numbers don't exactly match what I'm used to seeing. I suspect there might be some belt slipping based on the above data. For reference, we see 10 psi with a 6" crank and a 3.8" sc pulley. This is on a 100% stock us car with cats.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The reason I ask is those numbers don't exactly match what I'm used to seeing. I suspect there might be some belt slipping based on the above data. For reference, we see 10 psi with a 6" crank and a 3.8" sc pulley. This is on a 100% stock us car with cats.
    10psi seems really high for an impeller speed of only 45,474rpm. damn

I'm using this as a calculator, for V3 supercharger, and 8000rpm redline
    http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/page.php?id=33511