Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 335D and Towing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

335D and Towing

I know this has probably been talked about several times but not much showed up on my searched. I'm currently towing my single axle non braking trailered Bass Boat (2000 lbs.) with my GF's 3.7 Jeep Liberty. While it does "manage" to tow it the power is barely acceptable in my opinion and the Jeep is very short wheel based and is a bit twitchy in most scenarios. I know the typical arguments of the 335D is a performance vehicle not intended for towing. By immediate argument is I'm currently towing with a uni-body based Jeep that has lighter suspension, less power, smaller brakes etc that what a 335D already has is it really less capable? I ask this as I'm already about to purchase a used Mini turbo or hybrid type of vehicle for about the same price that isn't capable so if I can pickup a used 335D for about what I'm getting ready to spend on an economy car and can do the job better than the Jeep that would be a win to me.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It seems like it could be done but I wouldnt like doing it, more stress on transmission etc. Some guy I know tried to tow his supra with a maxima and blew the tranny. Just know you would be stressing more things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Black335i Click here to enlarge
    It seems like it could be done but I wouldnt like doing it, more stress on transmission etc. Some guy I know tried to tow his supra with a maxima and blew the tranny. Just know you would be stressing more things.
    I understand the extra stress but I really have a hard time seeing how it would be any different than some of these other half ass SUVs pulling things. I think the parts on the BMW are probably stronger than what's on these little V6 SUVs. Even the older Volvo's were rated at like 5K towing capacity my buddies parents never had any problems towing their camper around (probably about 1200 lbs).
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Go for it, our trannies can handle I beleive up to almsot 600 lbs of torque so I beleive it can handle your towing, for extra precautions i would add a tranny oil cooler to play it safe!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The 335d will likely do a better job than the liberty...

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    true STICKY and tow two other cars with it LOL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd be surprised if BMW didn't offer a towing hitch for the E9X series, especially in Europe.

Plus i heard the fuel economy is great with the M57TU.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The tranny can handle it. My issue would be how the chassy handles that awkward weight. I would take it slow to try and avoid trailer sway
    E46 323i-rip
    e46325ci- sold
    e85 z4-sold
    e46-m3-ripClick here to enlarge
    fj cruiser- sold
    e90 325i-sold
    e30 325i vert-current
    http://theworstdrug.com/25

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does the owner's manual state a towing capacity?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah, my concern would be more with the suspension and "frame" than with the engine/tranny/brakes. We have the same transmission that the x5d does dont we? The x5d has a 6000 lb towing capacity. Do you know how much weight is on the tongue with that trailer? If the tongue weight isnt any more than a couple overweight friends in the backseat youre probably good to go. Might end up with tickets from the police though for towing over the rated limit...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

here is my 335d

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's what I'm talking about let's pull some $#|%!!!! Clean ride!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dumb idea IMO. You can't pick up a used truck for like 5k to use in the meantime?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks great! Was that a custom hitch or OEM?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 335dM Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

here is my 335d
    Awesome pics!! Nice diffuser too btw.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    that is a execuhitch. 900$ hitch with wiring,hitch,ball and shipping
    http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    this is only for campping purposes, to keep comfort while travelling as wellClick here to enlarge So NO! that aint a dumb idea, in fact i own 2 diesel pick up truck as well when i need to haul something bigger or boat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm sorry but I have to laugh a bit. Camping is a poor man's vacation, at least where I live. I grew up camping and like it personally...but you drive a 40k sedan with a 1k hideaway hitch and you bring 4x the interior volume of your trunk in a trailer camping? Talk about roughing it! In all seriousness what are you bringing with you in that trailer?
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I may have a 2011 335d tomorrow, and will definitely need to add a hitch for my bike rack and utility trailer. Are there any other options that have been tried?
    2008 135 GIAC Stage II Race File
    2011 335d Stock

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I'm sorry but I have to laugh a bit. Camping is a poor man's vacation, at least where I live. I grew up camping and like it personally...but you drive a 40k sedan with a 1k hideaway hitch and you bring 4x the interior volume of your trunk in a trailer camping? Talk about roughing it! In all seriousness what are you bringing with you in that trailer?
    i bring wood, bike, coolers, fishing and hunting gears.....
    Here in Quebec, camping is far from being a poor's man vacation,Its more to be disconnected from the city a bit and forget about work and have fun with the kids. where do you live? in the desert? lol seriously stop making comments like you just did. I didnt insult you so don't either. by the way here in Canada, this car cost me new 70K with taxes!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i bring wood, bike, coolers, fishing and hunting gears.....
    Here in Quebec, camping is far from being a poor's man vacation,Its more to be disconnected from the city a bit and forget about work and have fun with the kids. where do you live? in the desert? lol seriously stop making comments like you just did. I didnt insult you so don't either. by the way here in Canada, this car cost me new 70K with taxes!
    I honestly meant no disrespect...I live in new england but I have never brought wood to go camping...it's everywhere man...it's the woods...I guess when we go camping it's roughing it with only a trunk full for a week and I complain we bring too much.

To each their own, I want to teach my children that you can live in the outdoors with just a pack on your back.

But what ever makes it easier on you, enjoy your vacation! Nice hitch...expensive but nice, don't let it damage your CF inlay.
    Last edited by Torgus; 10-03-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I honestly meant no disrespect...I live in new england but I have never brought wood to go camping...it's everywhere man...it's the woods...I guess when we go camping it's roughing it with only a trunk full for a week and I complain we bring too much.

To each their own, I want to teach my children that you can live in the outdoors with just a pack on your back.

But what ever makes it easier on you, enjoy your vacation! Nice hitch...expensive but nice, don't let it damage your CF inlay.
    Thanks. But unfortunately , here in Québec, we are not allowed to take wood of any sort out of the forest in National Park ( preservation and self regeneration of forest) so we have to bring our own woods, its a law and we can be fined brutally. As you said, i teach the kids to be independent in the nature Click here to enlarge we usually go for short trip (2-3 days max)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. But unfortunately , here in Québec, we are not allowed to take wood of any sort out of the forest in National Park ( preservation and self regeneration of forest) so we have to bring our own woods, its a law and we can be fined brutally. As you said, i teach the kids to be independent in the nature Click here to enlarge we usually go for short trip (2-3 days max)
    Wow you have to bring wood eh?!?! Given how obnoxiously fast wood burns in a camp fire and how much you need for a few days it all makes sense. I would have that railer packed full. Sorry if my post above was a little snarky I was in a bad mood.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm not sure about all state and federal parks in the US, but in New York and PA, you are forbidden to bring wood from other locations into parks. Critters can hitch a ride on the wood, and if they are invasive, they can wreak havoc on the local ecosystem. Most park's I've been to have their own supplies of split wood that you pay a couple bucks (usually through a locked box on the honor system) and get a bundle for a night.

The hitch looks great. I thought about getting one for a bike rack.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I also have the invisihitch and ALL I tow is my 2 bikes, I reccommend the product by far the best in the market but EXPENSIVE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast