Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

What's a fair quote to replace Drive Shaft Seal?

Ummmmm drive shaft seal is leakin... what's a fair quote? Does the diff need to be dropped?
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750 / MHD+JB4 / ADV / SB REAR O2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

P/N: 33107609536
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    i got a quote for 750 to replace all seals, might as well. yes the subframe, exhaust and driveshaft all need to be dropped.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mine is weaping....can wait but def needs to get done...ECS has a diff kit with Oil.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by neilvosko Click here to enlarge
    i got a quote for 750 to replace all seals, might as well. yes the subframe, exhaust and driveshaft all need to be dropped.
    You're talking about the axle seals as well right?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yeah, might as well....i put new ones it during quaiffe install and after like 8 track days they started weeping......crazy.

m3 guys report same issue after tracking the car....these 335s are fragile for HPDE.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Just saw your profile pics, looks like you take yours on road courses.....and have an LSD too....so likely same issue. dealership wanted 900 only for the diff cover...i rather not deal with dealership anymore. and they did not cover this issue under CPO>

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I got quoted about $550 + parts. I did go track the car a couple times last year + I had an issue where the VAC diff cover failed. I'm not sure if the seal leaking had to do with that.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by neilvosko Click here to enlarge
    Just saw your profile pics, looks like you take yours on road courses.....and have an LSD too....so likely same issue. dealership wanted 900 only for the diff cover...i rather not deal with dealership anymore. and they did not cover this issue under CPO>
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I'm getting conflicting information as to how to replace the shaft seal (item #9 ). One shop says the diff will need to be opened, taking out the LSD and such. One says otherwise, it "just" needs to be dropped.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Diff stays in the car. Drop the complete exhaust and heat shield under the driveshaft. Unscrew the nut, remove the outer 12-point pinion nut, replace seal, and properly retorque the 12-point nut. Requires 4 special tools from BMW - driveshaft 6-point nut tool, pinion 12-point nut tool, splined input shaft holder tool, and seal drift. I made my own seal drift on a lathe to set proper depth in the casing.

You may have to pull the whole driveshaft off the back of the trans flange to get the rear of the shaft off of the diff. I guess 4 shop-billed hours max? Maybe 5? Should be less than $800 for all the parts and labor. I just installed a Diffsonline unit in my car last night in 2.5 hours start to finish, not replacing seals of course, but hell, I had the diff out in about 45 minutes while screwing around. You don't even have to pull the diff to do any of the seals anyway!

New parts required: trans to guibo bolts and nuts (3, torque to yield), 6-point driveshaft nut to diff (or just clean and red loctite), diff input seal, two exhaust gaskets, and 4 copper exhaust nuts to the downpipes.
    James Muskopf
    RRT Racing
    2007 E92 335i/6MT Procede Rev3 w/PWM meth, otherwise stock
    E28 M5, R171 SLK320

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I recently had my diff oiled changed. It was when my VAC cover gave up taking the drive shaft with it. I went back to an OEM diff cover and they filled it back to about 1.5 quarts. I'm not sure if that's the proper amount but if there was excess oil, is it possible to leak out the back?
    Click here to enlarge