Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Improved racing 180 degree thermostat review

After doing a stainless steel line upgrade I guess the fittings on my Mocal 180 degree thermostat got damage and leaked a bit. So I decidede to get the improved racing thermostat and I am glad I did!

Pros:

1. Flows better
    2. Removable/replacable fittings if damaged
    3. Adjustable brackets
    4. Can except a host of different size fittings
    5. Looks and build quality

Cons:

1. Wish I would have gotten this sooner!!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bro you are just one modding crazy dude! Awesome
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    Your one code crazy dude, my favorite mod I have done is the one you coded! this is easy....what you do is in a different league.
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @robc1976, good stuff man!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    @robc1976, good stuff man!
    thanks man!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cn555ic Click here to enlarge
    +1 and repped!

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    +1 and repped!
    I appreciate that my friend!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I like you, I like your mods, I like your engine bay, I like your write ups, there is nothing here not to like. *swoon*

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All of your write-ups make me want to do the same things to my car. They all seem to serve a good purpose.

I wish you were my neighbor. I need a good car project buddy.
    335i Coupe, JB4 (G4, map 5) DCI and 40% E85 blend: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe: 12.173 @ 109.490 MPH

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    I like you, I like your mods, I like your engine bay, I like your write ups, there is nothing here not to like. *swoon*
    I greatly appreciate that!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GetSomeE92 Click here to enlarge
    All of your write-ups make me want to do the same things to my car. They all seem to serve a good purpose.

I wish you were my neighbor. I need a good car project buddy.
    wish you lived closer!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Exclamation General Science Is a Terrible Class To Fail!

First question one should ask is "Why is it that if a sub-boiling point oil cooler thermostat is so beneficial, why do no OEM install them?"

All OEM let the oil reach 212 F before the oil is allowed to be cooled. Why is that?

Could it be that a water and oil emulsion is a darn lousy load bearing lubricant? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
    First question one should ask is "Why is it that if a sub-boiling point oil cooler thermostat is so beneficial, why do no OEM install them?"

All OEM let the oil reach 212 F before the oil is allowed to be cooled. Why is that?

Could it be that a water and oil emulsion is a darn lousy load bearing lubricant? Click here to enlarge
    Perhaps instead of stating your opinion like anyone who adds a lower temp thermostat has failed a general science class (thus is stupid), why not help us out and offer your opinion or any facts to back up what you're stating, or more accurately, implying?

Of course we know that, under standard atmospheric conditions, water boils at 212* F. Every engine cold started spends some amount of time below that, until the higher oil temp is reached. The 180* F thermostat will not keep oil temps at or below 180*F, but rather start additional cooling capability at 180*F and, possibly also provide increased flow to the oil cooler. As far as I know, everyone who uses one of these lower temp oil thermostats still has oil temps not just above 212*F, but well above it. So at startup, we trade a little more warmup time for ultimately cooler temps once at operating temp and a little more cooling capacity (if the thermostat has better flow characteristics, which most seem to be reported to have).

I thought this was intended as a cheap/easy way to drop the oil temps from 250+ to 230ish as measured by our cars when driven hard. Remember, "the OEM" first released the car with no oil cooler, so as far as "OEM knows best"... ehhh.... usually, sure, I'll give you that but not always, and certainly we cannot expect OEM to have properly designed oil cooling capacity for the extra 75-450 hp we're asking out of these potent little 3 liter engines.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    Perhaps instead of stating your opinion like anyone who adds a lower temp thermostat has failed a general science class (thus is stupid), why not help us out and offer your opinion or any facts to back up what you're stating, or more accurately, implying?

Of course we know that, under standard atmospheric conditions, water boils at 212* F. Every engine cold started spends some amount of time below that, until the higher oil temp is reached. The 180* F thermostat will not keep oil temps at or below 180*F, but rather start additional cooling capability at 180*F and, possibly also provide increased flow to the oil cooler. As far as I know, everyone who uses one of these lower temp oil thermostats still has oil temps not just above 212*F, but well above it. So at startup, we trade a little more warmup time for ultimately cooler temps once at operating temp and a little more cooling capacity (if the thermostat has better flow characteristics, which most seem to be reported to have).

I thought this was intended as a cheap/easy way to drop the oil temps from 250+ to 230ish as measured by our cars when driven hard. Remember, "the OEM" first released the car with no oil cooler, so as far as "OEM knows best"... ehhh.... usually, sure, I'll give you that but not always, and certainly we cannot expect OEM to have properly designed oil cooling capacity for the extra 75-450 hp we're asking out of these potent little 3 liter engines.
    repped

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey Rob,
    Cool to read your mod thread, as always. Can you tell how much this has dropped your oil temps as alluded to by SCGT's post? That alone would be reason enough to do this mod. You may may mentioned previously, sorry if I missed it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eric84405 Click here to enlarge
    Hey Rob,
    Cool to read your mod thread, as always. Can you tell how much this has dropped your oil temps as alluded to by SCGT's post? That alone would be reason enough to do this mod. You may may mentioned previously, sorry if I missed it.
    on the highway with a lot of air flow it sits at 190...sitting in traffic no more than 220

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    on the highway with a lot of air flow it sits at 190...sitting in traffic no more than 220
    Sounds like money well spent!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eric84405 Click here to enlarge
    Sounds like money well spent!
    totally agree!