Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Stainless Steel line DIY

I was tired of my stainless steel lines haveing way to much slack in my inner fender and didnt like the cheap stainless hose I got. So 3 weeks ago I decided to change it and here is the DIY.

Keep in mind there are a lot of different fittings you can use, I prefer the ones in this tutorial. I didnt list lengths of hoses since my vaccum canister bracket has been totally modified (Review on the thermostat pictured coming as well as modifications) so I can use a bit shorter lengths. Dont make lines to tight as that can strain fiitings ect.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks cool!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looks really good!

I have a stupid question: The oil that goes through the oil cooler, is it coming straight from the oil pump? I am trying to understand the direction of flow of the oil. Is it

Oil pan --> Oil pump --> Oil Filter housing --> Oil Cooler --> Engine --> Oil pan?
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by vasillalov Click here to enlarge
    Looks really good!

I have a stupid question: The oil that goes through the oil cooler, is it coming straight from the oil pump? I am trying to understand the direction of flow of the oil. Is it

Oil pan --> Oil pump --> Oil Filter housing --> Oil Cooler --> Engine --> Oil pan?
    Yep! but basically you car holds more oil with a oil cooler so basically oil from cooler cooled and goes into motor ect.
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @robc1976 just FYI, you can get special wrenches for working on those style fittings. Far less prone to scratching. You can also again use electrical tape on the surface your working on which can work sometimes.

I love the vice insert you got. that's freaking glorious. Wish I had one last time I worked on AN style fittings.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135Hoser Click here to enlarge
    @robc1976 just FYI, you can get special wrenches for working on those style fittings. Far less prone to scratching. You can also again use electrical tape on the surface your working on which can work sometimes.

I love the vice insert you got. that's freaking glorious. Wish I had one last time I worked on AN style fittings.
    I finally got some wrenches to....I cant imagine this job without the insert...no way LOL!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    Yep! but basically you car holds more oil with a oil cooler so basically oil from cooler cooled and goes into motor ect.
    I get that part.

What I was wondering is: what are the effects on the oil pressure AFTER we add all those fancy oil coolers compared to stock? Hopefully none.

Oil pressures are paramount to the engine performance and longevity.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I get that part.

What I was wondering is: what are the effects on the oil pressure AFTER we add all those fancy oil coolers compared to stock? Hopefully none.

Oil pressures are paramount to the engine performance and longevity.
    I cant see how it would reduce it, now I am curious LOL!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    I cant see how it would reduce it, now I am curious LOL!!!
    Well, the oil pump is driven by the crankshaft and it is mechanical. So, on a given set of engine RPM, oil temperature and viscosity, we have a clearly determined flow rate and pressure.

Having everything else constant, flow and pressure are directly affected by the restrictiveness of the pipe they are flowing through. Just like an intercooler has a pressure drop, the oil cooler also has a pressure drop. Put two of them in series, and you can get into a situation where there is enough restriction for the oil pressure to drop significantly.

Fluid dynamics are fluid dynamics. Oil and air are both fluids.

Now, I've seen the stock oil cooler. It looks pathetic, but we don't really know what is their pressure drop.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I increased flow by eliminating all possible 90 degree fitting and add little slack add possible with the highest flowing thermostat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's all fine and dandy, but the real unknown is the oil cooler core. Similar to the different intercooler core types, an oil cooler can change the oil pressure. Again, I am not saying its worse or better than stock. I am saying: we just don't know and its something to be aware of and watch out for.
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's all fine and dandy, but the real unknown is the oil cooler core. Similar to the different intercooler core types, an oil cooler can change the oil pressure. Again, I am not saying its worse or better than stock. I am saying: we just don't know and its something to be aware of and watch out for.
    mine is a setrab core

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here is a link to the pro line (1st one on page)

http://www.setrabusa.com/products/hose/index.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I need to get a DIY section up.

It never ends.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I need to get a DIY section up.

It never ends.
    it will never end lol!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Rob, after reviewing both of your threads in this subject, is this line different? Or did you stay with the an08 hoses/fittings?
    did you think of having an10 as an oil cooler sizing? Or an08 is enough?
    Great diys by the way, you make everything look simple.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rob says he's using a setrab core, they list core pressure deltas on their website.

Halfway there Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Rob, can you list what lines you have replaced with stainless steel?
    Your DIY threads are top notch. Appreciate it buddy.
    -Modified safety triangle in trunk
    -Carbon fiber key overlay
    PLANNED MODS
    -Wheel spacers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    Rob, can you list what lines you have replaced with stainless steel?
    Your DIY threads are top notch. Appreciate it buddy.
    all the oil lines, full meth kit, from trunk to engine bay, fuel lines and radiator overflow lines.

I appreciate that!