Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

135i clutch install - More difficult than my AWD Subaru.

So, Had my Spec stage 3+ clutch install started today in preperation for my magical new VTTS2B2 tarbos that will give me 800+ whp I'm sure (Sarcasm, Hoping for 550'ish on 94+meth, plus I really hated the stock DMFW and how odd it felt, even after the CDV was deleted)

Stopped in at the shop to talk to the guy who handles all of my parts installs, and he was swearing up a storm, which he hasn't done since he installed my twin plate clutch and he got a clutch plate backwards (Tranny came in and out 4 times that day, lol) or when he went fishing in my truck to replace the power steering hose that decided to spring a leak.

I was kinda suspicious initially when shopkey quoted 7.5 hours book time to do the clutch, then I saw the mass of parts next to my car, then I watched for a bit and offered 'helpful' tips while my guy fought with the top 3 bolts on the transmission.

How on earth BMW managed to make a RWD transmission more difficult to remove than an AWD transmission, I'll never understand. Must be something about german engineering. Why use 6 bolts, when you can use 8 bolts. And why use 8 bolts when you can have 11! (I think that was the final count for the bellhousing to engine bolts)

Oh well, I guess the head office needs to come up with reasons to keep the dealership techs busy all day.

Hoping to have my new clutch bedded in and ready to go when my turbos show up!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Sorry to hear that but an experienced shop can bang out a clutch swap on this car in 2.5-3hrs tops.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Me and a couple buddies did a stage 3+ clutch and SMFW install in about 3 1/2 hours start to finish. The only way to get to the top bellhousing bolts is to go OVER and behind the engine, not underneath it.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to hear that but an experienced shop can bang out a clutch swap on this car in 2.5-3hrs tops.
    +1. Find another shop that is more familiar with BMWs!

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    mechanic you need to change more than 4 hours is theft, wants advice also change the flywheel.

I changed my clutch and flywheel 2 times within 2 months,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Me and a couple buddies did a stage 3+ clutch and SMFW install in about 3 1/2 hours start to finish. The only way to get to the top bellhousing bolts is to go OVER and behind the engine, not underneath it.
    You can do everything from the bottom... I ended up on top, but only to guide my extension, swivel assortment. It took fairly long time, but it was just me (with some wife help) on jack stands.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can probably reach it by dropping the subframe a bit. Had to do that on my S2000, wasn't very hard.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OK, I'll phrase it this way: it's MUCH easier to just pull the cowl and get to the top bolts that way.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OK, I'll phrase it this way: it's MUCH easier to just pull the cowl and get to the top bolts that way.
    Have to pull the manifold on the e90... at least I didn't have a tool to squeeze past it. Even with the manifold off couldn't get the right tool and leverage to break it loose due to the tunnel angle/distance. I think the top bolts have very different access between the 135 and 335.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JoshBoody Click here to enlarge
    Have to pull the manifold on the e90... at least I didn't have a tool to squeeze past it. Even with the manifold off couldn't get the right tool and leverage to break it loose due to the tunnel angle/distance. I think the top bolts have very different access between the 135 and 335.
    +1 on my e92 it was quite impossible to go from the top. I got my buddy to feed the socket and extensions over the tranny and I pushed it on to the bolts through the small gap. It took ages the first time but after having the tranny off 3 times (stupid HPF POS) it doesn't take long at all.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel