Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evacheung Click here to enlarge
    This.

Does anyone actually think a low-temp thermostat is useful? It's just a band-aid and a bad one at that. Increase the actual thermal capacity of the system instead.
    I still rather have lower oil temps, 260-270 is way too high. No other car I have owned has had temps that high. So tell me how to increase the thermal capacity of this platform then? I have the largest oil cooler core you can get (well fit lol!), I have changed all 90 degree bends in the lines to have them flow better. I use very good motul 8100 oil. But to much more out there in this platform.
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge
    I was referring to oil temps (although the same principles would apply to engine cooling) and suspect that your lower on track temps are not due to the lower temp at which the thermostat opens but instead to the fact that the stock thermostat constricts flow and the aftermarket units apparently do not.

Neil
    I forgot to mention the before specs was without a oil cooler lol! I will say that the mocal must not flow as good as the new one because my temps dropped another 10 degrees...this unit had the valve mechanism it off the path of the oil such increases flow.
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    Listen to this guy, I strongly suspect Neil has more track experience/knowledge than just about anyone on any forum.
    not doubting him at all....I just misunderstood what he was saying. Lot of good info in this thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Unlike previous BMW motors, the temp in the N54 is read in the oil sump -- the hottest point -- as opposed the head. This alone accounts for a 15-20 degree higher readings.

260-270 degrees is nothing to worry about.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Unlike previous BMW motors, the temp in the N54 is read in the oil sump -- the hottest point -- as opposed the head. This alone accounts for a 15-20 degree higher readings.

260-270 degrees is nothing to worry about.

Neil
    Good stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

260-270 degrees is nothikgng to worry about.

Neil
    my tunes fail safe is 270 lol! I prefer then much lower than higher. Yeah I replaced that sensor....failed right after a oil change...sucked lol!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Correct. Lower thermostat doesn't 'incrase thermal capacity'. It simply lowers the temperture that your cooling system will begin trying to shed the heat, based on the thermal capacity at hand. So if you are on a long stretch of straight away, you will simply hit the oil temp a little bit later. It can make your system more effective at keeping oil temps down in certain conditions however.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Correct. Lower thermostat doesn't 'incrase thermal capacity'. It simply lowers the temperture that your cooling system will begin trying to shed the heat, based on the thermal capacity at hand. So if you are on a long stretch of straight away, you will simply hit the oil temp a little bit later. It can make your system more effective at keeping oil temps down in certain conditions however.
    That's what I thought, the word "thermal" confused me a bit LOL!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12