Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Anyone use this 180 degree thermostsat?

Found this thermostat and actually talked to a few people using this thermostat and they love it. The one thing they all had in common and now me is they had Mocal but switched because the Male AN fittings damage easy and you get a bit of seepage. I am in the process of writing a DIY on making SS lines and when I hooked my system together I got a bit of seepage.....then it went a way then it came back. I thought it was just not tight enough, then realized only the fitting at the thermostat are the ones seeping, did a bit of searching and found out this is a issue with mocal units when putting fittings on and off (I understand that AN fittings are prone to this, but this is not the case here). I also hate the bracket on the mocal thermostat. The mocal does regulate temperature good though.
    I found this thermostat and I love the design of it and it seems to flow great.

I would like to know who's 335i has 600Hp on the review though.

http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-thermostats/high-flow-remote-engine-transmission-oil-thermostat-p-212.html

Click here to enlarge
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Here is where mine slightly leaks....almost has to be the thermostat....all NEW fittings and hoses. It is more of a seep than a leak, but I still hate it.

Click here to enlarge
    JB4 G5, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, VM 6466 ST, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Can't you just use some teflon tape to stop that leak?
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Can't you just use some teflon tape to stop that leak?
    I wish, this is a 4-AN fitting....the thread us not what seals it....the flared during is. That is why I think the male AN fitting on thermostat has a Nick or something and is not sealing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

How about putting a very thin layer of black RTV on the flare of the fitting, then assembling it.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajm8127 Click here to enlarge
    How about putting a very thin layer of black RTV on the flare of the fitting, then assembling it.
    I have a new thermostat on the way...I always thought that a flared fitting with a rubber coating to seal would be better than metal to metal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Anyone use this 180 degree thermostsat?

At this point, one should be asking oneself two questions:

Why does no OEM use an oil cooler thermostat that opens below 212 F?

How good a lubricant is a water and oil emulsion?

Really very obvious and basic stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge

I have used the 180 for over 1.5 years with no issue...Porsche also uses a similar temp thermostat as will as many others....this platform is rare on how high the thermostat is. Oil breaks down at around 220+. I do understand what you are saying though and good points.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    You guys ever use something like this:
    http://www.purechoicemotorsports.com...187&prd187.htm

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SCGT Click here to enlarge
    You guys ever use something like this:
    http://www.purechoicemotorsports.com...187&prd187.htm
    repped! Wow...just WOW! Never knew anything like this existed. Ordered!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    repped! Wow...just WOW! Never knew anything like this existed. Ordered!
    I aim to please. If it were me, I would certainly hand work the sealing surfaces a small amount to remove any raised metal/burrs, etc. A metal-to-metal seal is wonderful if your surfaces are defect free. I would not ever put anything like RTV in there, not only do you not know what oil will do to it, but it's just going to make a mess when you torque things down, not to mention there will be almost none of it left on the sealing surface anyway.

I could write a paper on evaluating sealing surfaces for acceptability, repairing and testing them. I did many such papers (as in, literally, thousands) for years for DoD.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I aim to please. If it were me, I would certainly hand work the sealing surfaces a small amount to remove any raised metal/burrs, etc. A metal-to-metal seal is wonderful if your surfaces are defect free. I would not ever put anything like RTV in there, not only do you not know what oil will do to it, but it's just going to make a mess when you torque things down, not to mention there will be almost none of it left on the sealing surface anyway.

I could write a paper on evaluating sealing surfaces for acceptability, repairing and testing them. I did many such papers (as in, literally, thousands) for years for DoD.
    I an going to take my thermostat off and inspect it, I do have another one here tomorrow but want to see. The new one is anodized I believe and the other is just soft aluminum and damages easily.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

A good quality synthetic oil will not begin to break down before 290+.

Yes, I would run that hot on road courses in my 1M (before I went with a custom oil cooler) and regularly sent my oil -- generally Motul 8100 or 300V -- to Blackstone for analysis.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MDORPHN Click here to enlarge
    A good quality synthetic oil will not begin to break down before 290+.

Yes, I would run that hot on road courses in my 1M (before I went with a custom oil cooler) and regularly sent my oil -- generally Motul 8100 or 300V -- to Blackstone for analysis.

Neil
    I use motul 8100 also...the stat I listed was for mobile 1 wich seems to be used by a lot of people on this platform.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Not sure if this is a stupid question but what does this do or how does it help?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Just opens up coolant flow to the radiator at a lower temp than stock. There are people that debate the positives and negatives due to lower/stock value thermostats. Too low and your engine will take a long time to warm up, you get some nasty oil issues if the temps don't get high enough, too high and, well, we all know what too much heat does. As most engineering decisions, depends on the application, environment, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

And, of course, it doesn't by and of itself add any thermal capacity. So if you run the the car hard and currently exceed the temp at which your thermostat opens, adding a lower temp thermostat isn't going to change things much.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Just opens up coolant flow to the radiator at a lower temp than stock. There are people that debate the positives and negatives due to lower/stock value thermostats. Too low and your engine will take a long time to warm up, you get some nasty oil issues if the temps don't get high enough, too high and, well, we all know what too much heat does. As most engineering decisions, depends on the application, environment, etc.
    This is not for coolant, this is for oil.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

And, of course, it doesn't by and of itself add any thermal capacity. So if you run the the car hard and currently exceed the temp at which your thermostat opens, adding a lower temp thermostat isn't going to change things much.

Neil
    Have to disagree...without a 180 degree thermostat I see oil temps of 260+ (track) and with one not over 225 (track). Daily driving my oil temps would be 240-250....with a 180 they are 210-215. I think maybe you are referring to coolant temps....this is for oil...nothing else.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by robc1976 Click here to enlarge
    This is not for coolant, this is for oil.
    You know, I do know that, but I have no idea why I went that direction. What the eff. lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

You know, I do know that, but I have no idea why I went that direction. What the eff. lol
    I know that man, just giving you a hard time. Your post above proves you know your $#@! lol! I did get the thermostat and all leaks are fixed....had to modify some things (vacuum canister bracket) to get it they way I want. Oil is actually 10 degrees cooler also. Well be doing a review/DIY on this and making stainless steel lines here in a few.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I was referring to oil temps (although the same principles would apply to engine cooling) and suspect that your lower on track temps are not due to the lower temp at which the thermostat opens but instead to the fact that the stock thermostat constricts flow and the aftermarket units apparently do not.

Neil

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I was referring to oil temps (although the same principles would apply to engine cooling) and suspect that your lower on track temps are not due to the lower temp at which the thermostat opens but instead to the fact that the stock thermostat constricts flow and the aftermarket units apparently do not.

Neil
    Listen to this guy, I strongly suspect Neil has more track experience/knowledge than just about anyone on any forum.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Neil
    I fully agree with you that when running at full track temps, both stock and aftermarket thermostats are fully open, and the only thing affecting the temps should be the oil cooler capacity given the thermostat when open is not restrictive.

I was not aware of any thermostat flow restrictions as a potential additional factor. This is an interesting hypothesis though. Have you made any measurements?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge

This.

Does anyone actually think a low-temp thermostat is useful? It's just a band-aid and a bad one at that. Increase the actual thermal capacity of the system instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast