Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Spark Plug Change - FAIL

I have no idea what happened but...I decided to change my own spark plugs. Got the plugs from the dealership, and the special tools from turner motorsports. After the change, the car was missing and running rough. So thinking the plugs were the wrong ones, I put the original plugs back in. Same issue.

Eventually it got to the point where the car would not start at all. It is currently on a flat bed on the way to the dealer.

Ok so let the guessing games begin...why? Coils were all placed properly back on the plugs. Plugs were properly torqued to 17 lb/ft. All hoses and electrical connectors were properly connected. Why...?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Did you check for codes?
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't have the BT cable, but did try using Tool32 on e-sys. Nothing appeared, but it is likely I used the wrong test module.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, good luck, man. Hopefully is it something stupid like a disconnected cable somewhere.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks. I will report back.

I wonder if it is related to my starting the car with the engine cover and vacuum lines disconnected before reassembling it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well if you leave vacuum lines disconnected and try to start the car, that might piss it off.

I doubt the engine cover has anything to do with it, unless it has integrated vacuum lines in it. I don't even have the cover on my N54 any more. I've driven it like that for thousands of miles.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You might have cracked or damaged a coil during removal, I've seen some people post about them breaking during a plug change. Most of the time the tip of the coil snaps off and remains stuck on the plug, happens if it isn't pulled out straight. Easy way to pull them out straight is to flip the little cover up, and use a screwdriver as a T handle to get even leverage on both sides.

The engine cover doesn't have any lines going through it but a vac line off shouldn't cause misfires at idle either way.
    H O O N

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The engine cover does have vacuum lines connected to it. But it is possible I broke a coil, but I would think in that instance the car would start and miss. In my case, the car started, missed, and then would not restart at all. Also the exhaust was making a foul sulfur odor.

One other thought - I filled-up with gas yesterday. Could it be possible that the station mixed pumps up and I actually got some diesel instead of gas??? I'm sure I was at the regular gas pump...that could possibly give me the same symptoms.

Hopefully it is nothing serious. Thank you everybody for the replies!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let us know what the dealership says!

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    hmmm and just as I was about to do my plugs for the 1st time..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My tech tells me that the plug on cyl 3 was completely fouled. That tripped a misfire code. When he changed the plug and cleared the code, the car ran fine. He tells me that I didn't put the coil on correctly, causing the plug to foul. Not sure what I did wrong...push down as far as it can go. Slide the electrical connector onto the coil until it clicks. Close the locking tab. I'm skeptical but he has never led me wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mocohead Click here to enlarge
    My tech tells me that the plug on cyl 3 was completely fouled. That tripped a misfire code. When he changed the plug and cleared the code, the car ran fine. He tells me that I didn't put the coil on correctly, causing the plug to foul. Not sure what I did wrong...push down as far as it can go. Slide the electrical connector onto the coil until it clicks. Close the locking tab. I'm skeptical but he has never led me wrong.
    Hmmm, I'm not sure how you could put a coil on incorrectly. Like you described, it's very straight forward.
    2010 e92 M3 Jet Black | DCT | ESS Tuned | Akrapovic Slip-on | Challenge X-pipe | AFE Intake | 18" Volk TE37SL | KW V3 Coilovers | RPI Scoops | Under Drive Pulley

2007 e92 Mont. Blue 335i | 6MT | COBB Tuned | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Helix FMIC | AA DPs | HKS Exhaust | DCI | Stett CP w/ Forged DVs | KWv2 Coilovers | UUC Sway Bars & SSK | HPF Stg 2 Clutch | HFS-4 | M3 Suspension Bits | DEFIVfab Diff Lockdown Kit | Stoptech Trophy BBK

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Got the car back. The print-out of the stored codes include one for a misfire on multiple cylinders, a misfire on cylinder 3, and fuel injection disabled as a result of the misfire. I guess the system shuts itself off to prevent damage from a misfire...He installed new plugs, cleared the codes and the car is back to normal.

But IMHO it is still not quite right. My wifes N26 automatic 2013 328i just feels faster than my n20 6-speed 2012 328i. I feel like my car is down on power and has some flat spots in acceleration. Plus if I try to accelerate in 6th gear from 50-55 mph I get a pronounced shudder and audible detonation. Of course I use the highest octane fuel available in CA, and 99% of it comes from Chevron. Not sure what else to do at this point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They probably did an ECU reset, so you'll have to drive it around a bit to get everything tuned in again.
    Sort of an autolearn feature.
    Go for an half hour drive, shut the engine off completely, lock car, wait for 5 minutes, and then drive back.
    That would get everything back to normal. Hopefully...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Why did the spark plugs need changing in the first place?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    On the n20, the change interval is 30k. I'm at 20k. In my experience, tuned BMW's need more frequent spark plug changes. The car was feeling a little flat in the middle RPM range, and was having some odd vibration (I thought I heard detonation at the time) while accelerating moderately at low highway speeds in 6th gear. There were no codes stored so the dealer couldn't replicate the issue or fix anything. Since changing spark plugs SEEMED pretty easy to do, I thought I would give it a shot.

I will say that after getting new plugs the car does run MUCH better. The process of getting fresh plugs was very painful, but in the end I'm glad to have them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad you got it fixed.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    They probably did an ECU reset, so you'll have to drive it around a bit to get everything tuned in again.
    Sort of an autolearn feature.
    Go for an half hour drive, shut the engine off completely, lock car, wait for 5 minutes, and then drive back.
    That would get everything back to normal. Hopefully...
    Absolutely correct from my own experiences following installation of a N20 replacement engine in my car. I had the same exact issues as mocohead described, but after a few days of daily driving the new engine and existing DME have adapted to each other and the car is back to running strong.