Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

PTF E-Tune OR local cobb protuner?

I am waiting to purchase the v3, and am trying to plan my tuning route.

There is a shop kinda near by (The Boost Creep in Longmont, CO), and they do give you dyno runs before and after cobb ap install, but are quite a bit more $ for a pro tune than a PTF E tune. They have done a lot of STI's, EVO's, GT-Rs, plus tons of other cars, but no 335xi's.

Should the fact that they are actually dynoing my car instead of using logs matter?

I am definitely leaning towards the guys over at PTF due to what i have read and heard (plus the lifetime map updates for future upgrades!).

Input anyone?

and thanks in advanced. I'm new to the scene, but this forum seems to be just a tad more intelligent (a lot)
    Last edited by I6+TT=FTW; 08-06-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW Click here to enlarge
    I am waiting to purchase the v3, and am trying to plan my tuning route.

There is a shop kinda near by (The Boost Creep in Longmont, CO), and they do give you dyno runs before and after cobb ap install, but are quite a bit more $ for a pro tune than a PTF E tune. They have done a lot of STI's, EVO's, GT-Rs, plus tons of other cars, but no 335xi's.

Should the fact that they are actually dynoing my car instead of using logs matter?

I am definitely leaning towards the guys over at PTF due to what i have read and heard (plus the lifetime map updates for future upgrades!).

Input anyone?

and thanks in advanced. I'm new to the scene, but this forum seems to be just a tad more intelligent (a lot)
    Go with PTF. The tuning methods used on the N54 DME are fairly different than most standard cars, unless the tuner has worked on numerous N54's they are going to be frustrated and provide subpar performance to you. I made the mistake of getting a protune from a shop that had no experience with the N54, it was an expensive mistake.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

PTF by far. Shop has no N54 experience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thanks guys, you just confirmed what I was already thinking. Will probably still buy my accessport from them (since they offer 3 baseline dyno runs and 3 after loading the OTS maps). Unless I can get a crazy deal on a v3 (which probably won't happen for awhile)
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)
    [IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Just PM PTF on the forum and they'll get you taken care of.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Go with PTF --- You'll be able to do lots of preliminary street tuning with them by mailing logs back & forth, and if you want to polish it off you can work out a time with Jake or Dzenno, rent any dyno & they can eTune your car while it's on the dyno/between pulls
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Would you rather have your car tuned with street conditions or dyno conditions? I'd do a street tune any day since load is applied, as long as you have the ability to stretch the cars legs.
    Click here to enlarge
    Join the largest N5X Enthusiasts Group! 1200+ Members Strong!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/n5xenthusiasts/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

i'd say PTF for sure

it's an established method and they know what they're doing

if it was a from scratch standalone or something, spending the $1000-$1500 on a day of dyno tuning is the way to go, though.

>
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Would you rather have your car tuned with street conditions or dyno conditions? I'd do a street tune any day since load is applied, as long as you have the ability to stretch the cars legs.
    that's one reason i like having so many dynodynamics etc. nearby... they provide a load for tuning on at least.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Go with PTF. The tuning methods used on the N54 DME are fairly different than most standard cars, unless the tuner has worked on numerous N54's they are going to be frustrated and provide subpar performance to you. I made the mistake of getting a protune from a shop that had no experience with the N54, it was an expensive mistake.
    This
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

PTF of course Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

The PTF guys I thought were giving free E tunes if you bought the AP from them at full price no?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    The PTF guys I thought were giving free E tunes if you bought the AP from them at full price no?
    Can anyone confirm this? That would be SWEET!
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / PTF-Cobb / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Just ask @dzenno@PTF
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
    Also made this mistake. Go with someone who knows the platform inside and out.
    Click here to enlarge
    PTF Tuned Cobb Stage 2+ | H&R / Koni Sport | BBS LM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Thanks for your support guys!

Can anyone confirm this? That would be SWEET!
    Hi @I6+TT=FTW...We can certainly do our best to get your car custom tuned and running as best as it can for your modifications and octane. In terms of the AP we do have the eTune+AP bundle offering (will also apply to V3 units when released on the 29th of August) which can save you some money if buying an AP new from somewhere else, or at least, price match other vendors on the new units being sold out there. There are also used V2 Cobb APs floating around at even better pricing than this which you can look into. The only drawback is Cobb's warranty/support afaik only applies to the original buyer/purchase.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thank you very much Dzenno. I do plan to buy new (that V3 is just so pretty), and really do want to have EXPERTS in N54's tune my car, especially at my high elevation (like 5000 ft). I'm guessing I will be contacting you in September for my V3 and beginning of my E-tune.
    Second question to confirm what i have read... If you and I set up a custom tune in September, but I install a FMIC in say May, you would revise my maps for me as part of my original purchase?

Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Thank you very much Dzenno. I do plan to buy new (that V3 is just so pretty), and really do want to have EXPERTS in N54's tune my car, especially at my high elevation (like 5000 ft). I'm guessing I will be contacting you in September for my V3 and beginning of my E-tune.
    Second question to confirm what i have read... If you and I set up a custom tune in September, but I install a FMIC in say May, you would revise my maps for me as part of my original purchase?

Thanks
    Correct.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Perfect! I am extremely excited to start working with you (and to have your little mascot sticker in my rear quarter panel window Click here to enlarge )

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Perfect! I am extremely excited to start working with you (and to have your little mascot sticker in my rear quarter panel window Click here to enlarge )
    We'll be glad to help you get your car where you'd like it to be. That little bot is an instant +20whp! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Good choice OP.... don't got to a shop with no N54 experience.

The protune will wake up your car so much, your going to be hooked.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I know Jake personally and he is local to me. He really knows his stuff when it comes to tuning. Go with PTF; you wont be disappointed.
    2008 e92 335i: JB4 G5 ISO/BMS back end flash, fbo, e85, inlets, Rb turbos, level 10 valve body + converter, water/methanol.....and a lot more....