Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Any 6MT guys successfully using 2-step??

As the title says? Anyone using 2-step at the drag strip? Has it helped your 60ft times or ET's? What tires are you using? What RPM are you leaving at? Just a general thread trying to figure out a way to build boost off the line and try to close the gap on our 6AT guys..

I think there is a lot that can be improved upon in this area and as far as ive seen nobody has posted much about it
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I never could get more than 4-5psi at the line. Wouldn't matter unless you were running slicks anyways. I was cutting 1.89 60' without the 2step, on street tires. I was cutting the same 60' or worse with the 2 step on street tires. MT N54 are just hard to launch. to me, a 2 step just makes it worse. unless you're on slicks that is, then its a different ball game.
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ive got a set of drag radials and have been able to cut 1.75-1.85 60ft times in good conditions w/o 2step. I just think with a proper setup 2step you should be able to launch harder and more consistent (traction limiting). My biggest problem is getting into 2nd gear.. that can be a huge pain when shifting fast
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    I never could get more than 4-5psi at the line. Wouldn't matter unless you were running slicks anyways. I was cutting 1.89 60' without the 2step, on street tires. I was cutting the same 60' or worse with the 2 step on street tires. MT N54 are just hard to launch. to me, a 2 step just makes it worse. unless you're on slicks that is, then its a different ball game.
    but wouldn't you just change the 2step limit until it DIDN'T suck?

2step is more about consistency anyway, no?.. stomp clutch, stomp accelerator, release clutch, recieve bacon?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
    Ive got a set of drag radials and have been able to cut 1.75-1.85 60ft times in good conditions w/o 2step. I just think with a proper setup 2step you should be able to launch harder and more consistent (traction limiting). My biggest problem is getting into 2nd gear.. that can be a huge pain when shifting fast
    yeah, you can launch perfectly, but shift too hard and the acceleration just gets pissed away haah
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    but wouldn't you just change the 2step limit until it DIDN'T suck?

2step is more about consistency anyway, no?.. stomp clutch, stomp accelerator, release clutch, recieve bacon?
    Yeah but when you're only able to 2step to 2500 Rpms because of traction it's easy to do without one too. I was just a little disappointed with it I guess
    2011 335is DCT, JB4 + MHD BEF, stage 2 LPFP, e50 + 50/50 meth, FBO, MT ET Streets when needed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah but when you're only able to 2step to 2500 Rpms because of traction it's easy to do without one too. I was just a little disappointed with it I guess
    fair enough

and ohgod the quote PM's are back.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wonder if there is a way @Terry@BMS if we can make an adjustable progressive boost control for 1st/2nd gear to help with launches? Such as max boost @set rpm? There has got to be a way to get the 6MT guys quicker at the strip
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I haven't been to the strip yet but on the street it seems like having the 2step set to about 3200 just for consistency sake make it alot easier to take off without roasting the tires. Really don't need any boost unless you have slicks that can do something with the power.. I do like the NLS part that goes with it (at least on the JB4) that seems to really help. I noticed on my car that the RPM's seem to float while trying to hold an RPM alot morre than any other car I've ever seen, sometimes it will just up itself another 1K by itself sometimes eventually coming back down sometimes not. I really miss a cabled throttle body.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I haven't tired the 2step at the dragstrip but NLS is the $#@!!
    Click here to enlarge
    FBO's. Spec S2+. E85.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rdeterman Click here to enlarge
    I wonder if there is a way @Terry@BMS if we can make an adjustable progressive boost control for 1st/2nd gear to help with launches? Such as max boost @set rpm? There has got to be a way to get the 6MT guys quicker at the strip
    I used to run a 2 setting boost controller on an SRT4 for 1st gear. 8 PSI and 19 where I'd start out in low boost and if 1st gear hooked and was moving good me or the passenger would hurry up and hit the button for more boost 1/2-3/4 through first. Just enough to build full boost and slam the next gear. Honestly I wish the JB4 could tab into the ABS sensors and have some settings to allow some smart traction control where it would only cut down to a certain known safe boost level and hurrty up and try to build back up. My Acura TL had amazing traction control that was always on the edge of spinning so even in the rain you could floor it and it would put down the perfect amount of power without ever feeling like all your power just disappeared.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    NLS is the $#@!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If you hold the volume down button on your steering wheel it will unlimited your boost setting for fort and second. I do this on 'pulls' to make sure I have traction before boost kicks in all the way. It's not precise but if you can get a feel for it it works quite well. May even work better if you are fairly good at judging traction levels (changes due to tire temp, iat, etc)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    NLS is the $#@!!

doesn't like the nls?
    Why?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No I loved it.