Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

6AT transmission and rear diff. upgrade questions

Hey guys,

I listed in my build thread that when I get the VTT S2B2's I'll also be installing a limited slip and doing a transmission upgrade. My first choices were Level10 upgrade, probably was going to ship the trans up to them have them build it, and then have it shipped back and installed. I've now read several posts here and on another forum guys talk like it's practically a waste of money?

Is there a better option out there? Are there even any other options available?

Also, was going to have a quaife LSD isntalled.

Is this the best option as well or is there something better?

I'm open to suggestions, and I guess price point since what I'm hearing is these are both expensive options for my car. My buddy who is used to Mustang performance almost $#@! a brick when I told him the price of doing this stuff.

Thanks!
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Level 10 is the only option currently that I have talked to someone that actually has one, We (The community) are trying to figure out if it is possibly to swap another transmission.

I wouldn't do anything for a few months.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think Quaife is a fairly good product if you've read people's reviews on it. I have a Wavetrac personally and I think it's fine. As for whether or not it's the best, it really depends on how you define best.

If you mean best in terms of cost/performance, I think if you can find a low price on either Quaife or Wavetrac than either is a good choice. There are other options out there, but they're even more expensive than either the Quaife or Wavetrac unit (and I personally don't think it's worth the price difference, since they're made for the same purpose).

Like E90SoFlow, there has not been any other real option for a transmission upgrade. Personally, I think if your transmission is fine as is, don't upgrade it. You're almost paying the cost of buying a new one getting it upgraded (might as wait until it breaks, then it won't be a waste of money). Also, no one has been able to provide an empirical data on what's actually improved with the upgrade. Finally, even with upgraded turbo's (I have the RB's), you can have the tuners custom tune your power output/torque to a safe threshold for the transmission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    There should be detailed info on what is actually upgraded. LostMarine had a thread when his was done and it was all 700 lb/ft torque internal parts. Upgraded parts a $1k, haven't received quote back yet on labor...

Yeah seem to be good things about quaife, don't think I will change that decision unless something clearly better is brought to my attention.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

@LostMarine @enrita any input? How are your's working out now? I found a couple threads about your trans being done but no follow up on how they held up over time or pushing them hard?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Here's the link to LostMarine's upgrade thread. I'm not a tranny expert, so maybe someone else can chime in on whether or not this upgrade should yield a good improvement over stock.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Wavetrac was awesome and one of the best things i did. also, @bobS got one installed as well

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

It's a big improvement over stock and essential IMO. The is way more planted, it's expensive but I'm happy I bought one.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge
    Level 10 is the only option currently that I have talked to someone that actually has one, We (The community) are trying to figure out if it is possibly to swap another transmission.

Is the Level 10 option really even proven? Conflicting reports and who has gone with them as of late?

There really doesn't feel like a genuine option from anyone and it boggles my mind.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Is the Level 10 option really even proven? Conflicting reports and who has gone with them as of late?

There really doesn't feel like a genuine option from anyone and it boggles my mind.
    This is true.

How is your DCT system working out?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

If I get that worked out before there is a real auto upgrade for the N54 I'll be happy.

I'll have to call and find out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

So I really should hold off on the trans? I thought this was a pretty essential upgrade when doing stage 2 turbos on an AT?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    So I really should hold off on the trans? I thought this was a pretty essential upgrade when doing stage 2 turbos on an AT?
    The Level10 "upgrade" isn't really proven to be anything more than an OEM-spec rebuild, let alone a long term solution for Stage 2/RB Turbos.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Alpina flash and call it a day. Change the trans fluid if you want to, along with a new pan/filter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yeah, I'd love to get the Alpina flash, but it sounds pretty complicated to do, quite a bit different than flashing the ECU I know.

Know of anyone in Florida that can do it?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain Click here to enlarge
    Alpina flash and call it a day. Change the trans fluid if you want to, along with a new pan/filter.
    And don't tune your car to be a torque monster in the mid range.
    Eppur si muove.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yeah, I'd love to get the Alpina flash, but it sounds pretty complicated to do, quite a bit different than flashing the ECU I know.

Know of anyone in Florida that can do it?
    You're considering a tranny swap and hybrid turbos and you think Alpina flash is complicated? It is an easy DIY if you are patient, lot of stuff on how to do it here, just search title on Alpina flsh. Takes barely 10 minutes to do once you have your laptop & cable set up right. Some guys here will do it remotely for a donation. Did it myself with no prior coding experience, following Cn555's DIY.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    You're considering a tranny swap and hybrid turbos and you think Alpina flash is complicated? It is an easy DIY if you are patient, lot of stuff on how to do it here, just search title on Alpina flsh. Takes barely 10 minutes to do once you have your laptop & cable set up right. Some guys here will do it remotely for a donation. Did it myself with no prior coding experience, following Cn555's DIY.
    Really? That's not at all what i've read. I've read several threads and they all recommended having someone with prior experience do it.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Really? That's not at all what i've read. I've read several threads and they all recommended having someone with prior experience do it.
    Nah, read the DIY's and decide for yourself. Either way it is painless and super cheap compared to what else you're considering. Plus you could do it right away.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ajsalida Click here to enlarge
    Nah, read the DIY's and decide for yourself. Either way it is painless and super cheap compared to what else you're considering. Plus you could do it right away.
    I will definitely look into, going to start a another thread though about a possible trans swap after doing some research on possible transmissions to swap in. Which DIY did you use? Do you have a link or remember which forum it was on?

Thanks man!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90SoFlo Click here to enlarge

Is there already a thread started on finding a trans to swap? I've been doing some research and have some questions regarding this. I will wait and see but am thinking a new thread with a new mission/agenda for the community may be in order.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Is there already a thread started on finding a trans to swap? I've been doing some research and have some questions regarding this. I will wait and see but am thinking a new thread with a new mission/agenda for the community may be in order.
    No alex in Houston is currently the one doing it. He's on here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I will definitely look into, going to start a another thread though about a possible trans swap after doing some research on possible transmissions to swap in. Which DIY did you use? Do you have a link or remember which forum it was on?

Thanks man!
    Start here:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ghlight=alpina

Then here if paddles do not work

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ghlight=alpina

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

There's nothing wrong with the level 10. Mine shifts great with vargas stage 2.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Get an auto to support a Stage 2 upgrade doesn't seem to be the hard part stock trans do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast